1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Effect of Curcumin in Patients with CFS/ME Disparate Responses in Different Disease Severities, 2019, van Campen & Visser

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Free full text:
    http://edelweisspublications.com/ed...c-encephalomyelitis-2638-8235-pvpe-19-112.pdf

Michelle, rvallee, Sarah94 and 3 others like this.
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No control group, significany number of drop-outs were left out of the analysis, published in predatory journal ... this doesn't look good.

Michelle, DokaGirl, rvallee and 9 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The only good thing about it is it looks as though they showed curcumin is pretty useless anyway as an ME treatment.

As a matter of curiosity, how can we tell it's a predatory journal? I did notice it's fairly new, uses long words in the title, and the paper was published within a couple of weeks of receipt - suggesting lack of peer review. That all suggested to me it's not a serious journal.

4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Didn't Jarred Younger complete a study looking into various botanicals that could target 'brain inflammation'? Curcumin was listed as one of them. I think they are going to publish it soon.

DokaGirl and Sarah94 like this.
  5. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Curcumin is not useless as a treatment. Some people, such as myself, it makes a huge difference to. Others, it makes no difference. I guess there are differences in the things that are happening inside our bodies.

DokaGirl and Mij like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I should have said the trial showed very little effect, and nothing significant for the moderate and severe sufferers.

Our bodies are indeed very puzzling. I'm glad it helps you, Sarah.

7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I used to drink organic matcha green tea because 'they' claimed it was a powerful antioxidant and had anti-inflammatory properties. Then I read a study that said we would have to drink 1/3 cup (of powder) daily in order to get any benefits.
    That's a lot of tea!

A friend of mine whose adult son is autistic had seizures from drinking matcha green tea.

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So it kind of looks like the CDC inventory for assessment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a lousy assessment. Who knew that a crude tool of limited reliability could be, well, unreliable?

The worst thing about this obsession over lousy questionnaires is that modern science was essentially made on the need for precision in measurement. When science really got its wings is when it started to be possible to measure temperatures, masses and other properties of matter with high precision and accuracy. Before then "science" was pretty much like this right here: crude measurements, speculation and opinion anchoring.

Stop wasting time with whole number measurements when you need 8 digits precision. Speculation is entirely wasted trying to make sense of measurements that do not even give the same outcomes out of the same initial conditions.

Though I do appreciate the language use, of an open label trial. This is language trials like PACE should have used had they been honest. Except it would obviously not have had the influence needed for the con game.

DokaGirl likes this.