1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The IDO Metabolic Trap Hypothesis for the Etiology of ME/CFS 2019 Kashi, Davis, Phair.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by John Mac, Jul 26, 2019.

1. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder whether that is a general trend. There is amongst the various papers on the 1934 LA epidemic a comment that over the course of the previous two or three epidemics the average age of those affected had been increasing and the mortality decreasing.

andypants likes this.
  2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Microbes continuously evolve that is change to gain most at least cost. Hosts can only change slowly so the effects of infection vary. That's why you can suddenly get an epidemic or outbreak.

Many disease are more dangerous in adults than children. It was thought that polio was a curse of the middle class because their children were not exposed at a young age.

There again, older adults may have been exposed before so the bug is changed enough to make them sick but not to kill them. Diptheria killed because it multiplied before the immune system kicked in. With some disease if you can survive long enough your immune system will save you.

It is immensely complicated.

Barry, Art Vandelay and Andy like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

FMMM1, Hutan, Robert 1973 and 7 others like this.
  4. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That would be absolutely awesome. I'm pleasantly surprised to see a French neurologist working on ME/CFS in collaboration with Paul Fisher's team (https://www.s4me.info/threads/an-is...me-cfs-patients-missailidis-et-al-2019.11121/) and a ME/CFS association -- that's a first!

Pr Jérôme Authier in France is part of EUROMENE but most of his research is centered on macrophagic myofasciitis. He has also publically dismissed Ron Davis & et al's nanoneedle as being, essentially, a commercial venture. Other than that, French neurologists usually deny the existence of ME/CFS.

ETA: From his list of publications, Gilles Guillemin seems to work on the potential neurotoxicity of vaccine adjuvants. So he probably knows Jérôme Authier quite (very) well. It would be great if he could get him involved into research on IDO2 & the kynurenine pathway in ME/CFS.

FMMM1, Michelle, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  5. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn't notice this: could you give an example?

Michelle and Kitty like this.
  6. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I might be wrong but aluminium and neurotoxicity ring a bell in the following publications:

Amelioration of aluminum maltolate-induced inflammation and endoplasmic reticulum stress-mediated apoptosis by tannoid principles of Emblica officinalis in neuronal cellular model
    Dhivya Bharathi, M., Justin-Thenmozhi, A., Manivasagam, T., Ahmad Rather, M., Saravana Babu, C., Mohamed Essa, M. & Guillemin, G. J., 1 Feb 2019, In : Neurotoxicity Research. 35, 2, p. 318-330 13 p.

Asiatic acid attenuated aluminum chloride-induced tau pathology, oxidative stress and apoptosis via AKT/GSK-3β signaling pathway in Wistar rats
    Ahmad Rather, M., Justin-Thenmozhi, A., Manivasagam, T., Saravanababu, C., Guillemin, G. J. & Essa, M. M., 15 May 2019, In : Neurotoxicity Research. 35, 4, p. 955-968 14 p.

Neuroprotective role of Asiatic acid in aluminium chloride induced rat model of Alzheimer's disease
    Ahmad Rather, M., Justin Thenmozhi, A., Manivasagam, T., Dhivya Bharathi, M., Mohamed Essa, M. & Guillemin, G. J., 1 Jan 2018, In : Frontiers in bioscience (Scholar edition). 10, p. 262-275 14 p.

Fenugreek seed powder attenuated aluminum chloride-induced tau pathology, oxidative stress, and inflammation in a rat model of Alzheimer's disease
    Prema, A., Justin Thenmozhi, A., Manivasagam, T., Mohamed Essa, M. & Guillemin, G. J., 2017, In : Journal of Alzheimer's Disease. 60, s1, p. S209-S220 12 p.

Michelle, Kitty and ME/CFS Skeptic like this.
  7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

As so often seems to be the way with ME/CFS researchers, clinicians and even high profile advocates, it seems that Gilles Guillemin may possibly not be someone we should pin our hopes on.

Sydney Herald 28 Dec 2021

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    Barry, FMMM1, Trish and 14 others like this.
  8. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Guillemin defended himself, saying:
    And another scientist said:
    Although in a blog post that goes into more detail science journalist Leonid Schneider seems very unconvinced that Guillemin had no role in the alleged misconduct: https://forbetterscience.com/2021/09/07/none-of-the-work-has-not-been-done-in-my-lab/

Barry, Trish, cfsandmore and 2 others like this.
  9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you put your name on the paper you take part of the blame. If you can't spot duplicated images in your own paper then it's likely you barely contributed and shouldn't have your name on the paper anyway.

Hutan, Barry, FMMM1 and 8 others like this.
  10. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't kept up but Jonas Bergquest, Upsala University, Sweden, got an OMF grant to look at Kynurenine. I'm impressed by Jonas/the analytical team he leads, so there are European based researchers who can contribute to ME/CFS research - they need funding - particularly via Horizon Europe (European Union research funding program).