1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Poisoned Well: a history of ME in 20 tweets, July 2022 - Valerie Eliot Smith

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure if any scandal of a similar scale, say millions affected, has ever been so thoroughly documented yet still met with complete opposition from the people in charge of that issue, even as all the documentation confirms how horrible it all is. It's all out there. Even in the literature of the people causing this disaster, who just frame it with the exact same nonsense that causes the disaster.

Usually the documentation is hidden, kept secret, people are gagged, threatened, in order to keep prying eyes away. Not here, it's literally all over social media going back decades. It's in books, magazines, newspaper, on TV. It's at least as well-known as, say sex trafficking, and far more documented because it's mostly happening all out in the open, but authorities are instead doing everything in their power to keep it going.

There is no way at least dozens, if not hundreds, of similar but smaller scandals are hidden in healthcare. It's like finding a group of tourists in a highly secure facility, past many layers of guards and checkpoints. Zero chance such a clumsy breach is the only one. None. This is systemic failure of the worst kind.

Solstice, bobbler, JemPD and 10 others like this.
  3. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not really bothered by this, I believe in free speech so I wouldn't encourage a law suit.

Peter Trewhitt and DokaGirl like this.
  4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the problem is that she is working for an publicly funded organisation which has a duty to be impartial in it's statements. Also, because it comes with the authority of the SMC behind it, it is very defamatory.

This is different from someone in the pub saying we are terrorists.

MEMarge, V.R.T., Sean and 6 others like this.