1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Three principles/innate health: The efficacy of psycho-spiritual mental health education for people with CFS, 2020, El-Mokadem et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2020-69778-001

2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find it disturbing that this psychological trash seems to be drifting into becoming a religion now.

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

One for the 'Unblinded treatment, subjective outcomes' bin.

4. Philipp

Philipp Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At least they make it clear they are all about the psycho-spiritual aspect of mental health offering education, not the somatopsychological aspect of playing bingo when naming studies.

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes but what about healing crystals? Which healing crystal will lower the CFQ the most? It is all of them? Basically you just throw healing crystals at people until they rate themselves as "better"? That would work. That's (very dramatic and cavernous voice) EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE.

Just goes to show how much a joke this whole paradigm is. When you make it easier for some quacks to push through their BS, you make it easier for all quacks to do the same.

6. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tried looking up 'Three Principles/Innate Health' but all I could glean was another: I know how the mind and the universe work bs, (junk that flourished in the 1970s).

Another pseudo-something for all the sheep in the world, the lost sheep who need a flock and to be fleeced by a guru who is just a midge smarter than they are; someone to tell them how to think and what to think.

It's oh so reassuring.

ukxmrv and Invisible Woman like this.
  7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I misread this as
    Twenty-two adults randomly diagnosed with CFS were assigned to experimental groups.

My first reaction was :eek: and then I, well it's as about as good as the modified London criteria, if not the Oxford criteria.

Frankly, if I was somehow trapped into this kind of guff, I'd tell them pretty much anything they wanted to hear so it I could get away.

As for the long term followup - yeah, it was great, I'm doing fine. Anything to avoid any suggestion that I might need a top up session or two.

Honestly, where I grew up everyone went to a religious service on Saturday or Sunday. Most of us were of the same faith. I got a lot of stick when I decided it wasn't for me as a teen & it was the right decision for me (though I respect other people's faith & their right to practice it). I'd far rather go back to that than tolerate this guff.

Peter Trewhitt and 2kidswithME like this.
  8. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be interesting to know all the COI's involved in his, whether declared, or not.

9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think it may be the other way around. Relgious organisations getting involved in psychology. The journal seems to be overtly religious (or 'spiritual').

10. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So religions are trying to find more ways to brainwash the masses? That's very, VERY disturbing. As if there wasn't enough religious strife in the world as it is.

Sean, Peter Trewhitt and ukxmrv like this.
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I would assume it's more a case of religious people trying to offer spiritually based therapy to their fellow religious people. But I'm only guessing about this, I haven't read the journal.