1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial By Error: CBT and Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Cheshire, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.virology.ws/2020/05/05/trial-by-error-my-letter-to-ibs-studys-corresponding-author/

JellyBabyKid, JohnM, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Blog on Medium

The Benefits of Prescription Digital Therapeutics for Gastrointestinal Conditions
    Code:
    https://medium.com/mahana-therapeutics/the-benefits-of-prescription-digital-therapeutics-for-gastrointestinal-conditions-86304debb883

Parallel:
    Parallel™
    A New Way To Address IBS

We’re developing an 8-week, clinically validated, digital program for people living with Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
    https://www.mahanatx.com/treatments/parallel

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Now there is a threat if I've ever heard one..

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

'by patients for patients'
    Is this yet another case of a business set up by an individual who is convinced a particular therapy helped them and are dead set on turning it into a money spinner, despite there being only very shaky evidence from one poor quality trial that it has any effect. A combination of missionary zeal and money making is a powerful incentive to brush off any scrutiny of their so called science.

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The psychosocial woo is spreading.

Funding awarded for Mayo scientist's research on irritable bowel syndrome

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2020/0...entists-research-on-irritable-bowel-syndrome/
    I am still unclear about the actual reasoning behind psychogenic intestinal gas and diarrhea. But then again I am not a Sir Regius Professor of Bonhomie so what the hell do I know.

6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I read the whole article it turns out they are keen to find even more ways of blaming women for their own health problems.

And from rvallee's quotes in the previous thread post what on earth are "disruptive approaches" to finding new solutions?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  7. Sly Saint

Sean, EzzieD, Andy and 2 others like this.
  8. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes it's been clinically validated to not produce clinically significant changes

9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Understand the issues of why it doesn't work, perhaps? ;)

10. Sly Saint

article in Life Hack
    5 Reasons IBS is Psychological
    https://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/5-reasons-ibs-psychological.html

so many things wrong with this.
    but if Deary, Chalder and Sharpes say it it must be right(?) even tho they propose the same theory for just about any ailment. Although it makes a thing about the fact that IBD patients are not as likely to have a psychiatric disorder, this hasn't stopped RMM et al from now aiming their sights on IBD patients.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Invisible Woman likes this.
  11. Arnie Pye

Based on my own personal experience, I know that "IBS" can be cured. I needed surgery to deal with immense amounts of scarring and adhesions from delayed and botched surgery in my early teens. Once that was done (it only took roughly 30 years), my IBS problem was 95% cured.

Doctors see IBS as a mental health problem - but they constantly ignore the fact that the bowel has two surfaces - an inside and an outside. If there is a problem with the outside you're stuffed, possibly for life.

12. Arnie Pye

Info on the author :

With an author like that there is simply no chance that physical health problems would ever be considered as a cause of IBS. And what about people with undiagnosed IBD? It can take decades to get a diagnosis of that, all the while being dismissed as suffering from IBS. I know someone who was discovered to have severe Crohn's Disease in his early 50s. He lost a big chunk of his bowel as a result. His daughter had the same problem and had been diagnosed and treated for it since childhood. But it never seemed to occur to doctors that the man might have the same condition as his daughter.

13. Gaspard

Gaspard Established Member

Recent study: atypical food allergies and IBD.

www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(19)34636-0

Edit: formatting

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  14. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

A problem is that many learn that this just simply doesn't happen (okay, I can't speak for all but in Norway doctors learn very little about nutrition and food, and us dieticians-to-be often get the story this does not happen). As an example, if you don't have celiac then you cannot have a response to gluten. Only today there was a newspaper opinion piece in Norway with an allergist claiming a lot of food allergies are just fashionable and not real. Gah :banghead: It's one step forward then three back with these people. "It's not the protein, it's the fermentable sugar! It's proven by this study on 30 people!" (never mind the muffin they used to test if someone reacted to gluten had other stuff in it that could mess with the results, but hey...)

Then again, the supervisors for my bch thesis on impaired epithelium integrity said they got interested in the subject after reading it, "leaky gut" and other immune reactions than IgE after food intake is easier to talk about now (until one of the old-school people comes along) :thumbup:

15. Sly Saint

16. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

that's insane.

17. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would seem the helping professions are no longer about serving the community / patients but about getting satisfaction / inspiration / colleague approval / awards to build up personal self-worth.

It's the age of the guru and they are holding professional 'love-ins.' Keep the positivity. Don't use critical thinking / analysis / or objectivity it's way too negative.

MSEsperanza, Sean, Arnie Pye and 7 others like this.
  18. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As they say, "you don't have to be mad to work here, but it helps".

19. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You'll note she forgot to say "paid" privilege.....

20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No kidding it's become a mutual admiration society. It's actually one step beyond the ivory tower in how detached from the real world it all is. The only criticism leveled is at anyone criticizing the circle jerk of toxic positivity. It's basically going full spiritual, may as well just make The Secret the only medical textbook.