UK: Disability benefits (UC, ESA and PIP) - news and updates 2023 (including government plans to scrap the work capability assessment)

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by Shadrach Loom, Jan 10, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree with everything you have said @Simbindi

I am now too ill to continue discussion, should have stopped earlier really but was too anxious.

Yeah @JohnTheJack the music had same effect on me. The new hold music is less bad on my sound sensitivity too, so that is one improvement, to be fair.

2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The first sentence of the White Paper -

So, a comp1ete denia1 of rea1ity. Un1ess they are p1anning a mass cu11ing programme...

4. Simbindi

In my 1ast job I deve1oped a chest infection with a severe and ongoing cough that made me bare1y ab1e to function. I took some weeks off work and was passed to a 'contracted' NHS occupationa1 service (I was working in a 1oca1 authority schoo1 at the time). I was to1d by the OT that if I wasn't ab1e to return to work within 6 weeks I'd 1ose my job as I wasn't ab1e to do it with any 'reasonab1e adjustments' as I was too sick.

At that time, the NHS was functiona1 (this was around 2007/8) and I was seen prompt1y by a respiratory consu1tant, and the tests showed I'd deve1oped adu1t onset asthma. The medication dramatica11y improved my breathing and I was ab1e to return to my part time, term time on1y work. But I'd have 1ost my job if I'd not had the asthma diagnosed prompt1y. I'd a1so have been disadvantaged by the new NICE asthma guide1ines, with their step up approach to medication (I was put on steroid inha1ers prompt1y and at a high dose).

MEMarge, alktipping, bobbler and 3 others like this.
  5. Simbindi

Of course my attempt at working made my ME deteriorate (it had taken me years to get to the 1eve1 of attempting work, in tota1 I've worked for on1y a few years over 3 decades of ME with very restricted hours). So I had to go on ESA within a few years anyway (I spent a1most a year not c1aiming benefits and 1iving on meagre savings prior to doing this).

MEMarge, alktipping, Trish and 2 others like this.
  6. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't see how the two are connected, the Severe Conditions group isn't related to being awarded a benefit, it refers to repeated tests under an award, the proposal is that PIP will be a passporting test so award of a benefit will follow the PIP process for which there isn't a Risk exception. What could remove the current Regulations dealing with 'serious risk of harm' is alteration of the UC Regulations 8 & 9 but we won't know what that entails until the Government brings forward the relevant legislation, at this stage there's no indication that Parliament would accept mandated work related activity for everyone on UC except those on the SC group.

7. Simbindi

I'11 get back to you if and when this change comes in. Then we wi11 see who understands how this government is working and their 1ong term goa1s. This is an enactment of a 1ong term p1an to make a11 sick and disab1ed benefit c1aimants face potentia1 conditiona1ity of their out of work benefit. But even this government recognises it has to soften this approach, so it wi11 create a very sma11 group of c1aimants who meet very strict criteria and exempt them so that it can c1aim it is 'protecting the most vu1nerab1e'. However, it wi11 be to keep the pub1ic onside. So on1y very obvious1y severe conditions wi11 be inc1uded (i.e. those that e1icit sympathy with the majority of their voters).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    alktipping, Sean, JemPD and 3 others like this.
  8. Simbindi

From the B&W site (I be1ieve this has a1ready been posted here)

MEMarge, bobbler, JemPD and 3 others like this.
  9. Simbindi

This idea that everyone shou1d have the potentia1 to '1ive an independent 1ife' is absurd. How can very sick and disab1ed peop1e do this?

bobbler, JemPD, Wits_End and 7 others like this.
  10. Simbindi

bobbler, JemPD, Wits_End and 6 others like this.
  11. Simbindi

They've 1eft the door open to change the PIP criteria in the future (from the White Paper) -

JemPD, Ariel, lunarainbows and 2 others like this.
  12. Simbindi

I rea11y can't see how that wi11 work in the rea1 wor1d of work. It wou1d put emp1oyers in very difficu1t 1ega1 position. It hasn't even worked with regard to 'fit notes'. GPs just tick that patients are unab1e to work.

I can imagine my CV -

I can sometimes craw1 up the stairs...

I can sometimes manage a bath, a1though never more than once a week...

I can get out of bed to strugg1e to the toi1et at various points of the day (but not necessari1y when I need to)...

alktipping, JemPD, Trish and 4 others like this.
  13. Simbindi

I've managed to skim the White Paper. It doesn't appear to mention how this wi11 affect those on the New Sty1e contributions based ESA, a1though the assessment for this benefit sti11 uses the WCA.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance#:~:text=New Style ESA is a,ESA is a contributory benefit.

The White Paper does state that the new UC hea1th e1ement wi11 be income based on1y. I suspect this wi11 mean that CB new sty1e ESA wi11 become time 1imited for 12 months for a11 new c1aimants. What this wi11 mean for existing c1aimants in the support group doesn't appear to be covered.

JemPD, Fizzlou, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  14. Simbindi

It appears they've ignored a 1ot of the 'carrot' recommendations from this independent report, in favour of the Big Stick approach.

15. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hunt’s disability plans put 1 million people at risk of losing £350 a month, IFS says

Extract:

The Institute for Fiscal Studies said up to 1 million people currently on incapacity benefits could lose about £350 a month as a result of dropping the work capability assessment (WCA), which assesses capacity for work, and using the personal independence payment (Pip) test, which measures only the extra living costs of disability.

It said the logic of the plan meant those who had conditions that prevented them working – such as people with short-term or fluctuating illnesses – but who did not claim Pip, or incur major additional living costs, would no longer receive extra support. Pip tests are widely distrusted and currently take 14 weeks to process.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies
    The Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) is the UK’s leading independent economics research institute. Our world-class research helps policymakers – and those who hold them accountable – understand the impact that policy decisions have on individuals, households and businesses.

MEMarge, JemPD, Sly Saint and 9 others like this.
  16. JemPD

Did you notice if it said anything about people currently on 'old style' CB ESA? - Which i believe is now called a 'legacy benefit'. They're not (or at least werent) planning to transfer us to UC so am wondering if that will change, i guess it doesn't say & we'll have to wait for many yrs to find that out.

17. Simbindi

As far as I reca11, I didn't see any mention any type of CB ESA.

alktipping, JemPD and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  18. Simbindi

From Guardian artic1e -

Did these charities miss the part where very sick, vu1nerab1e and disab1ed c1aimants wi11 be subject to seeing a Work Coach? When I was in the WRAG I was expected to have contact with one at a minimum of every 6 months. Now I wou1dn't even be ab1e to manage a te1ephone appointment and discussion with one, just once!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  19. JemPD

Thanks @Simbindi
    So basically it will be like having to have a reassessment every 6mnths at the laest. With someone who isnt a health professional, has no understanding of mental health conditions (other than as a condition that 'wlil be hleped by working')/autism/chronic energy limiting conditions & PEM. Who are target driven & trained only to bully & manipulate. It will be sooo much worse than a 2yearly WCA, havng to prov over & over again every year that you cant go on a course or do part time hours from home or whatever.

"Focussing on what you can do..." presumably work coaches wont be trained in 'reliably repeatedly safely'. They wont give a toss if spending 2hrs on a computer makes you unable to bathe or get any food.
    Please God somehow that it wont go through, it'll take a miracle.

Anyway, i been too ill to read this (can type but not absord at moment). so i dont know if it has any mroe info, but came acfross it whilee skimming MEAfb.

its a blog by MEA welfare rights advisor Ella who i have found godod in the past so thought would post in case it helps anoyone.
    scroll down for the blog
    Budget 2023 Update: What Does It Mean For M.E.? | The ME Association

alktipping, bobbler, John Mac and 4 others like this.
  20. Simbindi

A comment on the B&W forum -

However, as I read that statement, it is just a commitment to some form of CB sickness benefit, they sti11 have 1eft it open as to what it wi11 be in the 1onger term.

alktipping, bobbler, JemPD and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.