UK Parliamentary debate today - Thursday 24th January 2019

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, well patients can opt out of homeopathy and 'some people find it helpful'.

In fairness the Scottish Parliament has no more business deciding what Scottish NICE should say than Westminster has for English NICE but I wonder if the pressure was felt a little more actually up north. Maybe in fact Scottish NICE is more conservative in this area than the English version.

2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

This round table with RCGPs should include at least one of Dr Nacul Dr Speight and Dr Nina Muirhead

janice, Dolphin, Forestvon and 8 others like this.
  3. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm afraid I've come away from listening to the debate very grateful indeed to Carol Monaghan and colleagues but feeling how extremely powerless and ineffectual MP's are to change anything, the status quo will continue. The Health Minsters round up of the situation was so predictable, meaningless and hopeless.

Dolphin, Forestvon, Simone and 10 others like this.
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

wonder where they got that from(?) sounds like a certain charity

Webdog, MEMarge, Lisa108 and 7 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

Yes have made this point on local Facebook group to try to promote advocacy

Dolphin, MEMarge, Cheesus and 8 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

For anybody who wants to catch up/watch it again, this link will take you directly to the start of the debate, https://goo.gl/P7TFei

It will load initially at the start of the day and then 'forward wind' to the start of the debate, so leave it a second or two to do so.

janice, Woolie, inox and 14 others like this.
  7. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If patients are sectioned or minors taken into protection and their parents threatened with prosecution their right to deny treatment is effectively denied them. That is part of the problem.

janice, Woolie, inox and 18 others like this.
  8. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone know what the content of this course is like? Thank you.

MEMarge, Hutan, ladycatlover and 4 others like this.
  9. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’d imagine it’s very NICE like and severe lite. I’d be interested. As advocates we really need to learn about this

10. Cinders66

The minister talked a lot about GPs. Did he address the issue of medical school education?
    He didn’t propose ways to reduce stigma so what makes scientists and drs want to research ME if as one said it’s known as Multiple or many excuses in the science world...... the CMRC was clearly the MRC way, without funds, of attracting researchers but it’s worked as Little as their highlight notice before

Anyway, what now. Did the vote change anything... what’s next move?

11. NelliePledge

It’s a process of ramping up pressure to force it to a point where change happens. Most of the discussions happen behind the scenes but having debates is a way of showing the weight of interest and backing. The round table with RCGPs might actually achieve something if the right people are there. Notwithstanding the political independence of MRC etc if I was the Minister I would still be asking them informally to see what more they could be doing.

inox, MEMarge, Sean and 9 others like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am more optimistic. When we met with Carol Monaghan we discussed a bit the issue that MPs are not, and should not be, in a position to dictate what the MRC or NICE do. Monaghan was very aware of that and I suspect never expected to get a commitment from the health minister. That is not how it works and MPs know that, but they also know that debates like this can have an effect on the public narrative, especially if cross party.

It seems to me that we are now quite a long way from the situation where it can be claimed that objections to the PACE trial come just from a small, malicious group of patient activists. The BPS position has depended heavily on establishment narrative. The House of Commons is an important part of that narrative.

Forbin, janice, Woolie and 41 others like this.
  13. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Whilst its not in the power to determine what is funded or what treatments are recommended I do think they have a responsibility to look at failures of the funding system such as why so little is funded (or why there are too few applications) or why the system funded PACE when its protocol wasn't up to answering the questions asked.

JellyBabyKid, janice, Woolie and 32 others like this.
  14. NelliePledge

This

15. Cinders66

B
    but parliament did take exceptional measures on brain tumours, including allocating or insisting on funds to stimulate research

16. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It wasn't updated in the parliamentary briefing pack from the Commons :thumbsdown:
    And they quoted funding figures for biomedical research which I think were wrong - I think they were inclusive of behavioural/psychological numbers too.

ETA I realise you all picked up on this early on, sorry.

17. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it enough to stop the BPS people putting out the usual articles on good science being under attack by despicable activists?

18. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I heard his little spiel. the idea that NICE is treated as just advisory is of course ridiculous

janice, MEMarge, dangermouse and 21 others like this.
  19. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Knackered so can’t write much but briefly thought the MP’s spoke v well overall, got across the stigma, that GET harms yet still in NICE guidelines, lack of biomedical research funding and that ME is a physical illness. Would have liked a bit more on psychs harmful dominance on ME and the discredited bps model but overall considering the amount of issues MP’s must study I thought they did a good job.

Under Secretary, Steve Brine’s response was I thought still woeful. After the MP’s unanimous portrayal of ME as a neglected physical illness, Brine still had to present the medical world as being divided bringing in the implicit suggestion the divide was reasonable.

As others said he got in the harmful trope that lack of biomedical funding was due to poor research submissions. Also dismissed concerns of CBT and GET by saying patients can refuse them, when we know reality is much more nuanced and harmful.

Woolie, Dolphin, MEMarge and 17 others like this.
  20. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If Carol Monaghan is present as invited then I don't think she'll just let them get away with the usual bluster; this could be very promising but I'll try not to get my hopes up!

JellyBabyKid, MEMarge, Barry and 11 others like this.