UK - Resources for help getting food during quarantine and other supermarket related problems

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Sly Saint, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My ex text to say the queues at supermarkets here is on average an hour and a half, it's down the street. He says everyone is outside like a normal Saturday :banghead:

Tagging @wdb
    Morrison's food box arrived this morning. DPD gave me a delivery time of 10.27 to 11.27 and it arrived bang on 10.27, he brought it upstairs thank god as it weighed a ton.

There is currently no queues for the food boxes and next day delivery is available for tomorrow. Tomorrow is the only date listed.

It contained a fibre cool bag with ice packs for the cool items. Not a bad selection but contained zero cleaning products that I'm sure was advertised as the time. Luckily I don't need any right now.

I have no idea what the cost of food individually from morrison's is so I'm not sure if it equals £30 my mam used to just gives me the receipt from Tesco's and I paid the bill.

Contents:
    Morrison's Food Box:

Toilet roll (x4)
    Kitchen roll (x2)
    White sliced bread,
    Cravendale milk,
    Salted butter,
    Cathedral mature cheddar,
    Sliced ham,
    Bacon,
    Mince (500g)
    Chicken Breasts,
    Richmond Sausages,
    Tomato and basil sauce,
    Bag of baby potatoes,
    Bag of carrots,
    7 onions,
    Small cabbage,
    1 cucumber (Trish's substitute :laugh: Cheers Trish lol)
    Heinz tomato soup,
    Heinz baked beans,
    Heinz vegetable soup,
    Penne Pasta,
    Basmati rice, microwaveable.

Excuse the crappy pics, I've been locked out of s4me on my iPhone again for the last 2 weeks so having to use my phone's wifi to access forum on very old IPad.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Eta: that fibre cool bag is very comfortable and warm! Gonna save them up if I make more orders and make cushions with them :thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    wdb, ladycatlover, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Much closer to a weeks food than yesterdays package ;)

ladycatlover, Wits_End, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  3. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Lol you're not kidding :laugh:

4. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tesco have no slots available for the next 3 weeks as of this morning. I have an existing delivery saver plan with them and am on the government most vulnerable list, so it doesn't look like they've used this list to pick up even their most vulnerable customers who have regularly used their home delivery service - I'm not impressed!

Kitty, ladycatlover, Wits_End and 4 others like this.
  5. Wonko

I guess we are now playing the 'if we survive then which supermarket is not going to - after all this is over' game.

6. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Definitely, the supermarkets are currently having a reshuffle of loyal customers based on their behaviours to them right now. Most people no longer have a loyalty to one or two supermarkets, their loyalty is to the ones that keep them alive the longest. It'll be interesting to see their popularity rankings after this crisis

Kitty, ladycatlover, Wits_End and 3 others like this.
  7. Alis

Alis Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This looks like it could be useful https://www.beelivery.com /
    they say they can delivery within 45-90 mins. it looks like it is nationwide. and they do have a huge selection .[household , grocery , meat, frozen ,snacks etc etc]

8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It looks like a collective of independent delivery drivers. I get the impression that they don't keep the stocks of stuff themselves - you order stuff from a shop, then book a driver to deliver it to you. Presumbly if it's a list of items, you would have to place the order with the shop and they pack it for you, then the driver picks it up and delivers it for a fee. Have I got that right?

9. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From their help section - How to place an order-

Makes it sound as though it's a single transaction done through their website. I guess they have deals with certain suppliers within each delivery area.

10. Alis

Alis Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I 'm not sure. I put a number of things in my basket to test it out. It said they can deliver them in 30 mins - 90 mins ! so I think you do order direct from them but they then arrange an independent delivery driver to deliver them to you.

11. Wonko

the prices are roughly double what sainsburys would charge.

Delivery is on top.

12. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes I came across this before - the prices are hugely inflated, more than I’ve seen anywhere else except maybe Ebay, but in an emergency could be helpful.

13. Simbindi

Looks like an urban service, they don't have any drivers in my area!

14. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Just had a crappy general reply from Tesco's helper of the CEO. Telling me how to create an online account (even though the email stated I've been an online customer for at least 12 years)

Just got the usual crap about trying to improve slots by limiting people's orders to 80 items each :confused:

So F U Tesco's. Thanks for nothing.

Kitty, ladycatlover, meg22 and 4 others like this.
  15. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Yeah it's got a 'desperately buying from a 24 hour garage at midnight in the olden days' feel about the prices :)

Still an extra option for the emergency list. For some, sorry @Simbindi :(

16. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

oh man that gave me a laugh, 25 yrs ago when I was well & working long hours I was a frequenter of such establishments :D Id forgotten all about them

17. Simbindi

ladycatlover and Invisible Woman like this.
  18. Hell..hath..no..fury...

The morrisons food box backlog appears to have cleared now. No more queues, straight in every time. It looks like this is going to have to be my main source of food now as I still haven't obtained a single food delivery slot from anywhere.

I'll combine this with my meager weekly government hand out :laugh:

Then there's the weekly graze box, combined with gourmade frozen meals and home comforts local meals on wheels service I'm pretty sorted :thumbup: I think.

Then there's amazon for strange things and my ex for prescriptions, painkillers, eggs (that no one seems to provide) and cleaning products.

At last; a plan of attack to stay alive :woot:

ladycatlover, Kitty, Simbindi and 3 others like this.
  19. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So, I wrote to Sainsburys, Ocado & Morrisons, snail mail to head office - to ask them to pls include me on their priority list - housebound etc etc etc as was discussed earlier in thread.
    No response from morrisons yet, Ocado told me to sign up to the extremely vulnerable gov list with the link for the form that we know doesn't include us unless we got one of the specific conditions yada yada. completely uselss

Sainsbury's just emailed me
    Thanks for your letter.

I've checked your sainsbury's online account and you do show as a priority customer. I can confirm all our delivery slots for the week become available every day so please just keep checking your Sainsburys online account.

Please don't reply to this email as this email address isn't monitored.

Also completely useless because it doesn't recognise me as a priority customer when I try to book a delivery - it still gives the 'you are not worthy' message. But since I cant reply... Am totally miffed with the lot of em.

20. Wonko

What are you trying to log in on?

As I found that on android devices I had to log out (even though on starting the app it had just logged me in) and then manually log in again, and then it would give me access to the booking system.

ladycatlover, Hutan, Trish and 2 others like this.