UK - Resources for help getting food during quarantine and other supermarket related problems

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Sly Saint, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've just tried to access Morrison's general (not food box) and I've been placed in a 20 minute queue. Just to access the website! o_O It states on the queuing page that they have no delivery slots, and, the contact centre doesn't have access to them either.

So I guess that their subtle hint to the world to stop contacting them o_O

ETA: the morrisons website queue only exists on my IPad, not on my iPhone :confused:

Also just noticed an extra 2 extra food box types.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  2. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On the BBC website this morning:
    Coronavirus: 'High risk' list misses off thousands of people

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52123446

"Defra also said it was "working quickly" to support those who did not fall into the "clinically vulnerable" category but still needed help, including elderly people and those with disabilities."

3. Hell..hath..no..fury...

How long has it been now? 3 weeks? I've lost count. How many of these missed out people are now in an absolute dire situation :thumbsdown:

4. meg22

meg22 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems to be the norm now having to queue just to get onto retailers websites. I went to Sutton's seeds yesterday to try and order some rocket seeds to add a bit of greenery to my diet only to be told: 'You are in a queue'.

5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would imagine it's considerably more than a few thousand, or even tens of thousands, as at least 3 entire sections of society seem to have been omitted.

The housebound and disabled (that don't meet the clinical requirements for 'extremely vulnerable)' and

People aged 70 and over, who are supposed to be on supermarkets lists anyway but many, many, do not seem to be.

Those in the 'vulnerable' or 'at risk' categories who have been told they should 'self isolate' and get shopping delivered, for at least 12 weeks. Not full on 'shielded' people as these 'should' be in the 'extremely vulnerable' category - but all of the ones that were told that if they are offered a flu shot then they should not go out, at all, for at least 12 weeks, when this started.

ETA - it has just been announced that the 'at risk''vulnerable' group is 16 million people. People who've been told to not go out, to get shopping, to get everything, delivered, and not go out, for at least 12 weeks - the very same 16 million people who cannot, by and large, get shopping delivered.

6. Hell..hath..no..fury...

My MP dropped off my sparkling water this morning, downstairs. I wish I'd been more specific. I usually use 500ml bottles because by the end of the day it is usually flat and I open a new one the next day.

He's just delivered a 4 pack of 2 litre bottles. There is going to be many litres of wasted fizzy water here :unsure: My mistake. The devil's in they detail. What a surreal time we are living in when an MP has personally delivered water to my house o_O

I wonder if there's a tablet out there that isn't alka seltzer, that can create fizz in water. I looked into soda stream machines in the past but it looked like it would prove costly to maintain.

CBBF9A14-6F0A-4682-8388-9CAB5197272A.jpeg

7. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a longer term solution for those who can afford it, but it seems like some wholesale companies are now selling direct to the public. It may be worth a Google to find out which ones are changing their policies on this (I'd anticipate more will do this the longer restaurants, schools and pubs are closed).

For example:

https://www.catering2you.co.uk/

8. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hmm, now I’m starting to appreciate the advantage of having a loft instead of a garden ;)

9. Wonko

The problem with a lot of stuff is the tin sizes - can I really eat a 4.4kg tin of chopped ham before it goes off lol.

Several things on there are quite expensive (e.g. over double amazon prices - but amazon is out of stock).

They do however have rice, pasta, and corned beef (in normal sized tins) at roughly the same price as a supermarket - no idea as to delivery charges yet tho

ETA - delivery is £10

10. Hell..hath..no..fury...

was just looking at a 10 litre tub of Hellman’s mayonnaise on there in awe and wonder because I’ve never seen one before :woot:

11. Hell..hath..no..fury...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIGDB1BBrbw

This YouTube video shows another Morrison’s box and also includes prices of the individual items Total: £28

identical to mine except I got a cucumber and cabbage and she got broccoli and peppers.

so they seem consistent

12. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When you pour out a glassful to take your meds, it's worth squeezing as much of the air out of the bottle as possible so that the remaining water almost reaches the top. Helps preserve the fizz – though by the time you get to the last 500ml, the bottle might be so squashed it won't stand up properly any more!

13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Or pour some off into smaller bottles for use later, if you have any old bottles.

14. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Yeah I’ve tried these methods with not much success :(

15. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have received a text telling me that my parcel from superfood market is due tomorrow. It suggests to me that I have been classed as vulnerable by somebody, but I have no idea who or why. I didn't order the food.

Hubby and I went grocery shopping today in our local big Tesco. Still can't get eggs, but there is loads of toilet roll available. I got the last packet of gluten-free conchiglie pasta - first time I've been able to get it for a few weeks.

My husband picked up a small pack of cold meat from the deli counter of a type he'd never had before (haslet) out of curiosity, just to ring the changes with his sarnies. The pack contained 4 slices of cold meat. It caused problems with getting the price at the checkout. On the packet it said it cost 80p per 100g. The weight of the packet was 133g. The price we were charged was £8.00 !!!!!! So we'll have to go back to Tesco tomorrow to get a refund of the over-payment, which is a pain.

ladycatlover, Trish, Ebb Tide and 3 others like this.
  16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

How odd. Did the text have your name on it? It will be interesting to see if it arrives.

17. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Arnie Pye
    I thought super food market is like a health shop that sells through amazon? Toothpastes, hand washes and shampoos, some canned foods and health food etc? We’ve bought from them before when they used to have a website as well (can’t find it now).

Invisible Woman likes this.
  18. Arnie Pye

It didn't have my name on it or anyone else's. :confused: Perhaps it isn't one of those food parcels that some people are getting, and is something else entirely. Wrong number, perhaps? Hopefully the mystery will be solved tomorrow.

It's an enigma wrapped in mystery, I think. I'll just have to see what turns up tomorrow. :)

ladycatlover and Trish like this.
  19. Wonko

Superfood market would appear to be a company trading on both amazon and ebay.

It is unlikely to be a food parcel.

20. Arnie Pye

I'm beginning to think I've forgotten ordering something. I jumped to the conclusion when I received the text that it was something to do with food parcels because of the wording that was used.