UK - Resources for help getting food during quarantine and other supermarket related problems

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Sly Saint, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are you in the vulnerable list @Wonko ? Or is it from contacting them? I still haven't posted my snail mail yet as I haven't been out. Based on replies, not sure it's worth the effort.

2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This I do not know.

The email I got from Sainsburys said the government had told them I was 'extremely vulnerable' but this may have just been a standard email sent to everyone on their vulnerable customer list.

I have not heard from any other supermarkets saying I am on their lists, and if my position on sainsburys list was as a result of the government adding me to the 'needs shopping' vulnerable list then I would have expected to by now.

So it's likely that my inclusion on sainsburys list is down to my email to sainsburys ceo's office and I am not on any government lists, at least not yet.

His email is mike.coupe@sainsburys.co.uk (ETA - well .... that's the email I sent mine to - but as I say I haven't had any reply or acknowledgement)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I use Tesco's delivery service, and they've said they intend to prioritise people on the government's list for delivery slots (so I've got no chance!). A friend who's both a Tesco member and definitely on the extremely vulnerable list hasn't yet heard from them, so I suspect they're still trying to work through it. This may be why you haven't heard anything either.

4. Hell..hath..no..fury...

When my MP replied asking what groceries I need on Friday that weren't delivered with the food drop, I obviously didn't want to take the pi*s so I just mentioned that I need sparkling water in order to take some of my medicines and supplements that have either been powdered or in powder form or tablets that I really struggle to swallow with plain water.

He said to leave it with him and he'll get it arranged.

Just got an email from him saying he okayed it with the main MP, he's her helper (too brain dead to think of the title) He's personally dropping off the water for me tomorrow :jawdrop:

Also finally got my boiler fixed this morning (third visit in a week) didn't find out until he was leaving but the plumber does wood turning as a hobby! His stuff is beautiful! He's going to make my Mam a wooden mushroom for her garden only charging for materials. (Not that I have any idea when I'll see her again, nor can I post it :banghead:)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  5. Hell..hath..no..fury...

It's very annoying that PIP awards aren't being taken into consideration for these decisions. It's literally a case of if you're not on the list you can sod off and starve :banghead:

ladycatlover, meg22, Wits_End and 4 others like this.
  6. Wonko

I do not have a PIP award - I should have, I'm probably one of many that should have but don't.

I got ^&*(ed on my DLA-PIP transfer and haven't had the heart to re-apply (having lost the appeal because I couldn't attend).

I would be wary of insisting on people with a PIP award being automatically on the list, as this will be taken as meaning those without one shouldn't be.

7. Hell..hath..no..fury...

8. Wonko

As to that question, practically anything that's food - they only supplied breakfast and lunch for 3, maybe 4, days IMO - not a weeks food - and some noodles, but nothing to go with them.

9. Kitty

Might it be fairer, then, to allow people who're unable to carry much to apply for delivery priority? It can be hard to make sense of it in a way that doesn't exclude people unnecessarily – lots of older people don't have PIP awards either, but they genuinely can't walk far or carry a week's shopping at once. The result for all of us is either having to go out much more often than usual, or doing without.

10. Hell..hath..no..fury...

I really should have emailed him a photo of the food, as he may have no idea what is included. He most probably doesn't.

11. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Kitty

Thanks for this, @Simbindi – I didn't see it when I logged on earlier.

14. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

windows laptop... tried it with Edge and Chrome, still same result

16. Wonko

I'm sorry.

In that case it looks like the person you spoke to may have either not known what they were doing, or was misinformed:(:banghead::banghead:

I'm not sure what to suggest other than try again, if you have the capability.

17. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

thanks Wonko I think i'm going to print out that reply, plus my original letter & a covering note/explanation & send it to the CEO Mike Coupe & see if I get any more joy that way

18. meg22

meg22 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've had a rethink about my phone call from Sainsbury's - I think it was a result of my letter to my local store rather than the email to Mike Coupe - it fits more with what the guy said when he rang and his email to me which is just a blank email rather than a reply to my email to Mike Coupe.

The local store I sent my letter to doesn't do deliveries which I knew and there are 3 other possible stores but I didn't know which one to delivers to me so I just sent it to my local one anyway. I think a kindly store manager took pity on me and because I'd included the APPG letter with MP's names on sent it on to head office.

When the guy rang he said who he was and then 'We're going to get you some food'. He asked whether I was registered with them which I am but I got the impression that they would have helped me even if I hadn't been.

19. meg22

meg22 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Having being flagged up by Sainsbury's as vulnerable I'm not sure how helpful it is though as apart from last Fri evening/Sat morning there haven't been any slots to book any way at least not in my area. The unpredictability of if/when they are going to release new slots would be stressing me out big time if I hadn't also been flagged up by Asda

Asda seem to only allow ordinary shoppers to book a slot a week in advance where as those on the Govt list are allowed to book 2 weeks in advance so every time I've checked there are plenty of slots to book after next week. This seems a better system to me than Sainsbury's so might have to award Asda supermarket of the year instead!! Asda may still be taking on new customers so if you're on the Govt list you could try signing up to them if you wanted @Wonko.

I've not heard anything from Tesco either @Kitty even though I'm on the Govt list. I'm seriously mad with Tesco at the moment!!

ladycatlover, Sly Saint and Wonko like this.
  20. Wonko

My local store (Sainsburys) had slots for mid week (this week) on Sunday. I didn't need any shopping so didn't book any.

My whole Tuesday theory seems to have been blown - either that or because I am on their vulnerable customer list I am no longer allowed any of the 'spare' slots they were releasing on a Tuesday.

The booking system tells me that it is not possible to book slots in anything other that 'week 1' because they haven't been released yet.

Yesterday I did spot some late night slots at both Tescos and Morrisons - for Tesco's these were only their 'flexible' slots.

The morrisons box seems to be consistently available upon demand now, with no queuing.