UK - Resources for help getting food during quarantine and other supermarket related problems

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Sly Saint, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bollocks, it’s here now at 10.30am with zero warning :banghead:

2. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Phew!!!!! He was lovely!! At first I thought he was going to meet me on the middle floor as a compromise, but then he carried the bags up the rest of the way.

He said there’s also a free Easter egg from Tesco’s in it :woot:

4E37714A-281A-4A85-B3EB-1B7976FA2D0D.jpeg

ETA: all that saved energy can go into turning my home into a fish pie/shepherds pie, broth making factory :laugh:

or at least I would if the chicken was here... and no flour :( I kept checking right up until midnight last night to make sure I substituted when things popped up as unavailable, I started with 1.5kg of strong flour, then substituted to 500g, then substituted for a single bread mix... today got none of it :( but aside from that not bad at all :thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  3. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You are advised to be careful, but only the subgroup got letters advising not going to work. My letter (I have severe asthma) went to my daughter, as my 'named carer'. It stated it could be used as evidence to show an employer for getting time off work. I've been trying to get my GP practice to send me a letter with my own name and address on it - the response is really showing me how much they don't care about individual patient safety! When this is over (or at least under control) I am going to make a formal complaint to my CCG.

I know of someone's daughter who is an Occupational Therapist, she was being 'careful' in work (not dealing with positive cases) but still caught the virus. Fortunately she is young, but her asthma has still caused problems. I can only think it is because there are 5 million plus people in the UK with asthma (and over 20 million entitled to the flu jab) that the government has decided to recommend shielding for only a very small subgroup and those with the most severe asthma.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  4. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Thanks to Tesco I’ve fulfilled my to-do list for today :thumbup:

46C4DA53-173C-4648-BB5F-514C6F52525F.jpeg

5. Simbindi

Tesco now have priority slots available in my area for every day next week. So I'm assuming they are going to add these once a week (possibly more often but only 7 days ahead). I would definitely recommend getting added to their priority list if anyone is still struggling to get online deliveries.

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I’ve got a Sainsburys click and collect slot for end of the week. It turns out that it can be collected by someone else for me I just have to Forward the confirmation email to them so they can show that to the staff in the collection area. I’m putting their shopping on my order so they don’t have to go round the supermarket either so hopefully that’s a reasonable exchange. I reckon in the circumstances that’s a fair option for me from Sainsbury’s. As I can get family support in my new location I’m not totally reliant on deliveries like I was at the old house.

7. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very severe bed-bound, unable to talk. How do I get on the government's vulnerable people list? Tesco are fully booked for this month. My carer (who doesn't do shopping) called Tesco and they said I needed to provide proof that I am on the list.

8. meg22

meg22 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm really sorry you're struggling to get groceries @DigitalDrifter

I rang Tesco last week and managed to be flagged up as vulnerable and to get access to priority delivery slots. When I rang the woman I spoke to checked whether I was on the Govt list ( I am but there was some confusion over my name) and when she said I wasn't I then had to refer to what they say on their website - that they are also prioritising people who can't safely shop in store. I had to explain that I live alone without support and was completely reliant on having my shopping delivered. @Hell..hath..no..fury... also managed to get access to slots this way even though she is not on the Govt list.

I don't know if they have tightened up on who they are prioritising since I rang or if perhaps your carer gave the impression that you have some support and therefore have someone to help with shopping. Perhaps it would be worthwhile your carer ringing again and being careful what they say regarding what support you have and that you have no help with shopping .

Alternatively the link for the Govt list is here: https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable
    The wording has changed since I registered so you would have to feel comfortable ticking yes to the question on whether you have one of the conditions on the list or have been told by your GP/Clinician to 'shield.' It's unfortunate that the list which has been set up for one purpose is now being used by supermarkets to flag up vulnerable shoppers.

There is then a further question somewhere about whether you have help obtaining food supplies which you need to tick no to. Hopefully after about a week you will receive an email or text which says this and which you can show to Tesco if they still won't flag you up as vulnerable:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  9. Hell..hath..no..fury...

I’m so sorry you’re struggling to get help @DigitalDrifter as @meg22 said, I am not on the government list but still got priority by stating I had a neurological condition; but it was also important that I stated I had lost my carers because of the lockdown (which is true)

They will only put you on the list if you’re alone and have no help. Maybe they thought because your carer was ringing for you then you’re not alone (even though they don’t do your shopping)

Even if your carer states that they don’t do your shopping, Tesco may be inclined to think ‘well they ‘could’ help with the shopping’

The lady I mentioned in my earlier post was refused just because she had someone visiting once every 3 weeks.

What I would do (and not recommending) but what I would do is get the carer to ring them pretending to be you and just state the lines that’s required ie. ‘I’m housebound, alone, zero help, neurological condition, cannot get to a shop or have anyone to do it’

Best of luck :hug:

Invisible Woman, Simbindi and meg22 like this.
  10. Simbindi

As above @DigitalDrifter , when my daughter phoned Tesco for me she was asked if she 'lived near me' (she doesn't). They are assuming anyone making a phone call on behalf of another is therefore able to help them, your carer needs to make it clear that they are unable to shop for you.

11. Hell..hath..no..fury...

I’ve just wrote an email to MP to let him know that my food parcel didn’t arrive last Friday. I wasn’t going to bother, seeing as I got a Tesco slot (thankfully)

But he still needs to know the situation. I’ve explained to him that I finally got a delivery slot after a month so I’m ok but that my food parcel didn’t arrive last Friday gone.

I also included a photo to show the 3 day amount of food given that not only was expected to stretch out for a week but as it turns out, a week and a half in this case.

I told him that I text the social worker on Friday to let her know that no food was delivered and had no reply.

I let him know that I don’t need any food at the moment but thought he should know the situation as I’m guessing there’s a lot of starving frantic families in my town at the moment. They must have had an awful Easter :(

ladycatlover, mango, meg22 and 5 others like this.
  12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not my grandmother's recipe, but not bad

https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/recipes/traditional-scottish-recipe-potato-scones/

13. meg22

meg22 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've not heard anymore from my MP since he wrote to Govt ministers. He has posted this on his Facebook page though so he's obviously aware of some of the problems. Not sure why he's singling out Sainsbury's in particular although they do seem particularly bad in my area.

Good idea @Hell..hath..no..fury... to keep on at them to let them know what's happening.

14. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've had a call from the warden on my independent living estate this morning, saying that she would refer me to the NHS Volunteer Responders service if I wanted. I've got some food in the freezer at the moment, so I haven't requested it yet – but it's really good that I don't have to bother my GP if I still can't get a supermarket delivery slot by next week. They're still lacking detail on how it's going to work, but she's hoping to find out more this week.

This service might be an option for some people who can't get themselves onto their supermarket's vulnerable list.

15. Hell..hath..no..fury...

My MP replied to my email asking if the council provided the food, and if so he’ll chase it up to make sure I get my missing food parcel (after I’ve already explained I don’t need it anymore and was just letting him know the situation :banghead:

I don’t want a food parcel wasted on me when other people have nothing right now) starting to wish I hadn’t updated him now :thumbsdown:

My ex just dropped off my painkillers. He was feeling sorry for himself and expecting sympathy because he had a long weekend off work for Easter and was bored (as he sat in his garden in the sun tinkering with his bikes...)

His life has had zero change due to lockdown, still going to work, got a pay rise, still riding his bike daily.

And he’s expecting sympathy from a person who has been ill in literal solitary confinement for a month with not even a few minutes of sun, all because he had a boring weekend off work :banghead:

Needless to say I hid my internal snarl with a smile, as he is getting my painkillers/prescription for me :cautious:

ladycatlover, meg22, Wits_End and 5 others like this.
  16. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

17. Hell..hath..no..fury...

That’s a good blog!

it also gave me some amusement when I tried the slot checker recommended..

F53B8455-E20C-4C14-BA40-FCC89C817FB1.jpeg 04C9B91E-CFE0-42C1-9FD6-5572F95FA0C3.jpeg

Well no shit Sherlock! Thanks slot checker! :thumbup: :laugh: :rofl:

18. Hell..hath..no..fury...

I’ve been waiting 3 weeks for my Gourmade frozen meal delivery. Had to wait until I had a freezer to put them in.

it’s due today. They woke me up at 9am with a call and left a message to say they have some queries with regard to my order and to ring them back..

I can’t so I won’t.

I went into their website live stream to let them know that I don’t have the strength to speak; can’t talk on the phone and to either text or email me their queries...

they’ve just rang again :banghead:

so now I’ve sent an email to them too.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    mango and ladycatlover like this.
  19. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

People simply don't understand, or maybe believe, that some people can't use a phone.:grumpy:

:hug:

20. Hell..hath..no..fury...

I’d say 90% of the population think like this in my experience, including my doctors surgery - who I ‘think’ I’ve just had 2 phone calls from (No caller ID) which usually means them. Probably to tell me I’m not getting my prescription tomorrow or something (they never leave a message either)

So that’s 4 phone calls since I was woken up an hour ago I’ve now disconnected. What a lovely stressful way to start the day :banghead:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020