UK - Resources for help getting food during quarantine and other supermarket related problems

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Sly Saint, Mar 18, 2020.

1. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yeah I have I just hope they don’t want photographic proof as I automatically put them hurriedly in the freezer

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I've just seen on Facebook a report from my local police that scammers are sending emails pretending to be offering Tesco vouchers during the Coronavirus shutdown that are a scam - I think it's the sort when you click on the link they can hack your computer.

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

5. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's a severe hygiene failure that could put your health at risk. It's worth an email to your local authority's food safety team, CC'd to the company, underlining that you're dependent on these deliveries and therefore have no option but to store and eat these meals, whether they're safe for consumption or not!

6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

People with dietary restrictions will have to be careful of course, as you cannot choose what items you get. Normally when we shop we either stick to what we already know, or have to scrutinise ingredients carefully.

7. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just a heads up for those on a tight budget.

Amazons 'we won't charge you until dispatch' for items that are out of stock isn't working, at least with items that remain out of stock for weeks. They are now putting a pending on orders immediately, and unless cancelled it remains until it converts to an actual payment. It didn't used to be like this, orders didn't attract a pending charge until they entered the dispatch prep stage.

What it means is that you/I can be out a lot of money, if items arn't dispatched rapidly, or if an order is changed/cancelled (even immediately) - the 'pending' amount is already locked in your account and unavailable.

I have now been charged for 2 lots of nido dried milk @£18 a pop, despite then never having been in stock since ordering the first about a month ago.

The charge on my card just switched from pending to an actual charge on the later order, so that's both orders now been charged for - and still no idea as to a dispatch date.

I have also noticed that existing orders don't necessarily get the top priority e.g. idahoan potato flakes - I had an order in, that was out of stock, when it came in stock I still wasn't given a dispatch date, despite them remaining in stock for 3 days, and my having placed and received a new order of the same item, but the original order, of the same item, on the same listing, still no dispatch date - 'we'll email you with a dispatch date when this item becomes available'.

It's 'unhelpful' out there.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  8. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm still mourning the loss of eggs. I ran out some time ago and haven't seen them available for sale in Tesco for 5 weeks? 6 weeks? I can't believe that chickens have stopped laying eggs, so where are all their eggs going?

9. Hell..hath..no..fury...

I haven’t even had a reply from them yet!! Can you believe it!

10. Hell..hath..no..fury...

I got all excited until I read that there’s no meat in it :laugh: though it could be worse, i could order thawed out frozen meals from Gourmade containing meat that are probably going to kill me.

If i die in the next week can you guys please make sure they put food poisoning on the death cert and not Covid. Cheers :thumbup:

11. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Im sure you’re not going to.. but please don’t eat the meals!!

12. Hell..hath..no..fury...

I’m currently just storing them in the freezer in case they’re needed for evidence or something. I am dumbfounded that they haven’t replied especially as i gave them the impression that i was going to have to eat them, not knowing if it safe

13. Hell..hath..no..fury...

For the last week, ever since they opened the parameters for priority tesco slots, there’s been no priority slots. However, there has been lots of the normal fixed hour delivery slots o_O

14. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We're still able to get eggs here, for now at any rate.

I'm guessing that a lot of people who don't usually homebake are now having a go and possibly buying far more than they need.

Despite not having any problem getting bread, you can't find flour or caster sugar in the shops round here at the minute.

Maybe people baking as something to do with the kids at home?

15. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Email them and give a time limit for them to refund you fully, stating that if the problem isn't resolved promptly you will have no choice but to report the problem to the Food Standards Agency (include the link to let them know you are serious):

https://www.food.gov.uk/contact/consumers/report-problem

Edit: You should always give a company the opportunity to resolve a problem first, in a reasonable time scale. Then if they don't, the (enforcement) Agency can take formal action.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  16. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Yeah i already did that this afternoon. They replied half an hour ago saying they are sending out my food again on Monday.

They also said they checked the packaging and that there isn’t any reason why this should have happened.

While I agree there was no noticeable issue with the packaging, apart from some of the ice packs being half melted, the fact is the food was still defrosted.

ladycatlover likes this.
  17. Hell..hath..no..fury...

I am so disappointed with myself that i let 5 eggs go off, i never waste eggs ever. I’ve ordered extra on my next tesco shop and half of them I’m going to freeze (I’m damn well getting my money’s worth out of my new freezer lol :laugh:)

My main struggle (with tesco as thats my only option) is getting flour of any variety.

I did manage to save all of my potatoes before they fully sprouted yesterday, by blanching some for freezing to keep as potatoes, and mashed the rest for freezing which I’m relieved about.

I’m also freezing cheese and butter for the first time ever, obsessed much? LOL

18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Cheese & butter freeze ok @Hell..hath..no..fury... how do you go about freezing eggs though I didn’t think that was possible?

19. Invisible Woman

Me neither! You could certainly freeze them once cooked. Make an omelette & freeze that or a quiche or something.

Never froze a fresh egg though. Intrigued.

20. Invisible Woman

According to this site you can! You remove them from the shells first though

https://www.incredibleegg.org/eggcyclopedia/f/freezing-eggs/

Actually, I do have some frozen egg whites....