UK - Resources for help getting food during quarantine and other supermarket related problems

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Sly Saint, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Gourmade finally emailed me to tell me my food isn’t arriving today and will now be tomorrow.

so original delivery day was Tuesday and was put back a day, now it’s Thursday. I’m so pleased I’m not starving right now.

Kitty, ladycatlover and Trish like this.
  2. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Don’t know which thread to put this in as it spans both.

my phone just rang again 5th time. ‘No caller ID’

I’ve just answered it as this would have gone on all day.

It wasn’t my GP, it was the Covid 19 support helpline. Ringing because they’ve been told I have no food. Despite telling my MP twice that I have :banghead:

I told her I can’t talk and she kept me talking, wanting to know who the group was who was supplying my food. (I’ve since found out it’s a group called ‘lets talk’ (ironic seeing as I can’t) who I think deal with mental health. I’d love to know how they think not delivering promised food parcels is helping people’s mental health.

So the girl gave me their number, and told me if I need help in future to give them a call.... so... no help for me then lol

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Well at least that should calm your worries about the prescription. It's interesting how many people just don't get about not being able to talk because of ME. And in these days of online everything, it's surprising groups set up to help people don't have an email alternative for contacting them.
    :hug:

Kitty, Ebb Tide, NelliePledge and 4 others like this.
  4. Hell..hath..no..fury...

it is rather mind boggling :ill:

Kitty, NelliePledge, mango and 3 others like this.
  5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hmm...I ordered some corned beef, some chopped tomatoes, and some kidney beans from these people.

They took £72 for them.

I have just had a delivery.

I've been checking at least twice a day on the order status, which still says 'processing' - even after delivery.

I have not received the promised dispatch email.

No corned beef, no chopped tomatoes.

The 'not an invoice' says the corned beef is out of stock, which I agree it is now, but it wasn't when I ordered it, or for days afterwards.

The 'not an invoice' doesn't mention the tomatoes I have paid for (which were, and are still showing as, in stock).

So 6 tins of kidney beans have cost me £72 as of this moment (including a £10 delivery charge).

I will just have to wait and see if they decide to credit me with the difference between £72 and £8 at some point in the future.

Even if they do refund for the items which they haven't supplied I will still have paid £18 (£8 for the beans and £10 carriage) for 6 tins of kidney beans - the order would not have been placed on that basis.

I will not be using them again.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

ETA - I have now been refunded for everything, apart from what turned up, 6 double sized tins of kidney beans. I have also been refunded the £10 carriage charge.

I will still not be dealing with them again
    '.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    ladycatlover, Ebb Tide, wdb and 2 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Eek, that's awful, Wonko. Thanks for the warning. The should refund the lot!

7. Wonko

I am composing an email to that effect.

8. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

WTAF?! :jawdrop:

Their home page shows they have a Twitter account. If you don't get a refund fast, it'd actually be worth joining Twitter to let the world know (you can always delete the account later). I've found that complaining on social media in a public post can be quite effective for getting results.

9. Hell..hath..no..fury...

wow that is absolutely disgusting service.

10. Wonko

Given that it was only around 10% of the order value, and the carriage charge was more than the goods value, I don't understand why they sent it, at all, without querying it with me.

11. Wonko

I have received a £64.80 refund, or so paypal tells me, so it looks like I have been charged for the kidney beans with no carriage charge.

This is acceptable as I am now only paying for the kidney beans and not a tenner for carriage.

12. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Well that’s something at least :hug:

13. Wonko

Now all I have to do is find a recipe for refund and onion toasties, as well as refund and potato pie.:rofl:

14. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Delicious, can I have a slice? :laugh: Though most refund recipes leave a bitter after taste.

15. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just don't understand why people won't leave messages - especially when you've given them your phone number with a note that the answerphone is on 24/7! That's because MY CAREE CAN'T COPE WITH PHONE CALLS! (Sorry for shouting) Then you get all the "well, we did try and ring several times"-type responses ...

17. Wonko

The excuse used is that they don't know who will listen to it, or even if they got the right phone number.

Which is of course total BS - they are quite happy to send letters containing medical info etc. when they don't know who will read them, or even if you've moved.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  18. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Just received my Gourmade meals. I hope they taste nice as my experience with them hasn’t been the best. Delayed 2 days in a row.

Then the delivery man deliberately rang my doorbell last, ringing the neighbours on the lower floor first so they would open the door so he wouldn’t have to bring the box up to me, so he dumped it on the ground floor and left.

Then only 2 out of the 10 meals I ordered were still frozen, and not fully.

I’ll still keep them as an option if delivery slots dry up again, but I’ve finally started making some batch meals for the freezer, 5 so far so hopefully won’t need Gourmade too much.

19. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

that’s terrible. Who brought your meals?
    When I ordered, which was quite a few months ago now (Before the corona virus crisis), DPD brought the parcels - not a courier from Gourmade themselves. And DPD have usually been quite good in my area. I think if they’re not actually frozen by the time you get them - you are more than entitled to send an email to Gourmade letting them know and ask them to send the meals again, this time with proper delivery?

We’ve had that happen with other meal delivery people (already defrosted, leaking parcels etc), and they’ve re-sent the food.

JemPD, Invisible Woman, Kitty and 6 others like this.
  20. Hell..hath..no..fury...

yes it was DPD. I realised straight away that they weren’t frozen when I picked up the first box which was sweet potato wedges and the box squished in my hand. Only the bottom two were partially frozen.