UK - Resources for help getting food during quarantine and other supermarket related problems

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Sly Saint, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:thumbup: Ten mins left. I may as well order if i can

2. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Ordered. I noticed the queue, was still around 22 minutes when i'd finished. Its a lot easier queueing this way than listening to horrific music on a phone.

I nearly didnt get it, when i tried to pay it declined my bank card even though there's money in there, then tried again, and declined a second time, 3rd time lucky on credit card instead. My credit card has taken a beating this week. I was just about to cancel my credit card before this crisis, pleased i didnt now.

Order is still pending but i think its getting delivered on Saturday. Thanks @Wonko :thumbup:

3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:hug:

Glad you managed to order it, could you let me know if there is anything like £35 of useful stuff in it, or stuff that's hard to get (like cleaning products) - as it really doesn't look like it from the picture.

ladycatlover, JaneL, Ebb Tide and 4 others like this.
  4. Hell..hath..no..fury...

I'm expecting it to be a total joke, but who knows i may be pleasantly surprised. I'll take a pic of it if i remember.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  5. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting that Trish, I was wondering what was happening with Tesco. I have 2 slots booked with them for next week and the week after that, that I booked a few weeks ago when slots were still available. I'm really concerned about my daughter having to shop more than necessarily. Her school are taking extreme measures to protect the staff and the students who are kids of key workers/vulnerable, so it will be so counter-productive if she has to expose herself unnecessarily going to supermarkets for me.

ladycatlover, meg22, JaneL and 5 others like this.
  6. Alis

Alis Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have just logged into tescos , there are still some slots available for Wednesday if anybody is interested , may have to be quick though as I think they are going fast.

ladycatlover, JaneL, Ebb Tide and 3 others like this.
  7. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.parsleybox.com/menu/?ut...-57668858&mc_cid=c7921df906&mc_eid=9855a858a9
    are taking new customers. They are like Wiltshire farm but it's long life cupboard meals rather than frozen
    Ive tried some of them, the portion is quite small & they're not 'amazingly delicious' - so I wouldn't use them for a treat like the services used above, but it's at least something decent to have in the cupboard & they keep for months.
    My strong advice is to stay away from anything with a 'creamy' or cheese sauce - eg mac n cheese/lasagne as the sauce is beyond disgusting, or anything with mashed potato on it. However some of the curries are really nice - the jalfrezi especially, & the chicken in black bean sauce is nice too, with a pack of microwave egg fried rice. Also the chicken & leek hotpot is a favourite of mine, as is the all day breakfast - cookable in the oven for crispy hash browns if desired.
    aslo there is a slow cooked beef with rice that's nice & sausages in gravy that you can put with some frozen mash/veg

The caramel pecan shortbread thingy is an absolute delight, but the hot puddings are not very nice imo

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think that will depend on the bookings in your local tesco. As far as I know ours is booked solid.

ladycatlover, meg22, JaneL and 5 others like this.
  9. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Wow he was lovely!!! (The cafe doing meals on wheels) Its basically a case of order however many meals you want, and they deliver either the next day or couple of days later.

if paying by cash, it’s a case of they’ll text just before they arrive, leave cash on doorstep (if not paying online) they come, take cash, and leave meals on doorstep. (Forgot to ask if they can do this outside my flat door rather than downstairs)

he also said they can pick up milk or other basic essentials from the supermarket and drop them off with the meal delivery.

I thanked him for taking on new people, he says there’s no way they could leave so many people abandoned. I was telling him that we’ve all been trying to help each other stay alive in effect. He was asking where you all lived bless him. Told him unfortunately they all live too far away in housebound land lol.

10. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Alis and Invisible Woman like this.
  11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  12. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just a comment that I don't suppose is especially helpful. But all these food box deleries etc - even the ones for the 'extremely vulnerable' shielded list.... they all assume the recipients can cook for themselves. If they sent me some fresh eggs/meat & veg & a bag of pasta I couldn't eat it because I cant manage to do any cooking at all. Everything has to be ready prepared just heat in microwave. I don't think people actually get that people can be so ill disabled that they cant cook a spag bol.… I mean surely you in hospital if you that ill right?

13. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Trish

I've had emails today from the two supermarkets I use. Waitrose says it will be using the government's high priority list plus over 70's for 25% of slots and they will contact people to tell them whether they qualify. Tesco just says the government priority list, doesn't specify how many slots, and will contact.

Not sure how Waitrose proposes to find out who is over 70. I'll update if they contact me (I'm 70).

15. Hell..hath..no..fury...

I’m currently trying to cover all angles; food box for when I can cook, frozen meals and graze boxes delivered for when i can’t, and a new freezer that will house the fresh meals on wheels dinners if I don’t have the strength to eat or unable to move.

but yeah food boxes are going to catch a lot of people out/prove useless.

16. Hell..hath..no..fury...

17. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One thing I haven't been able to get hold of for weeks is eggs. I haven't seen any for sale for nearly a month. Nor have I seen pasta for weeks. I can live reasonably happily without pasta, but having no eggs has created a lot of problems for me, in terms of the food I usually eat.

20. Trish