1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: Short, simple letter to your MP to ask them to attend the Carol Monaghan PACE debate on 20 Feb

Discussion in 'Advocacy Action Alerts' started by Sasha, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe she could delegate someone else from her office, to attend and report back?

2. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There were two email addies for her, I assume the second is probably her researcher (wrote to both). But I'm not sure if others can attend - these things are for MPs only? OK, yes, public may get in to some of these things, but suspect not much space. So I don't know if her researcher can attend to report back. Will just have to wait and see!

3. guest001

guest001 Guest

I've resent it with 'IMPORTANT' in caps and a high priority exclamation mark to see if she picks it up... but she's about as helpful as a chocolate teapot tbh.

MeSci, Invisible Woman and Barry like this.
  4. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have written to my MP who is unable to attend. He is sympathetic however and has advised me to follow up with him depending on what comes out of the debate which I will do.

Good advice on how to use the Parliamentary process to address issues that were not raised, reinforce any positives that emerged and correct any mistakes of fact. The aim should be to get individual MPs to write to the Minister with the aim of moving our issue forward. Even MPs of the unsympathetic variety can be asked to do that.

Barry, Andy, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My MP has not replied to me, so I've written again using @Sasha's letter. She didn't reply to my NICE guidelines letter either. At least my previous Conservative MP always replied. :rolleyes:

If I don't see her on the video of the debate I'll write again asking her to watch it.

7. Forestvon

Forestvon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just emailed mine (via www.writetothem.com ) who wont go as in cabinet, to ask him to encourage other Mps to go.
    Worth a go!

Barry, Andy, Esther12 and 6 others like this.
  8. Bear

Bear Established Member

Is anyone here from Laura Pidcock MP's Durham North West constituency?

Is anyone here here from Debbie Abraham's Oldham and Saddleworth constituency? She is critical of DWP and is currently shadow DWP minister. If the current government falls it would be interesting to have her views on this before she becomes DWP minister and whether she could defend PACE. She also has a public health background.

https://www.parliament.uk/biographies/commons/debbie-abrahams/4212

It would be helpful to have these two critics of current DWP policy attend the PACE debate.

Barry, Andy, Jan and 6 others like this.
  9. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. guest001

guest001 Guest

Well! I have now had a reply from my MP who is unable to attend but is 'interested'. I have replied suggesting it might be worth chatting by phone in the first instance.....

Esther12, Jan, Trish and 4 others like this.
  11. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've heard back from a researcher in my MP's office. My MP is intending to go to the debate, and will be in touch.

Barry, Binkie4, Daisybell and 7 others like this.
  12. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can you get him to commit to writing to Jeremy Hunt about issues you choose to highlight after tomorrow's debate? My MP has suggested I read the debate in Hansard and write to him to pick up any issues I think need taking further or challenging.

Jan, Indigophoton, Barry and 2 others like this.
  13. guest001

guest001 Guest

I will assess what can be done when / if I do indeed speak to 'her'.

Jan and Binkie4 like this.