1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Understanding Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and the Emerging Osteopathic Approach: A Narrative Review, 2019, Bested et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://jaoa.org/article.aspx?articleid=2736993
    Sci Hub, not available at time of posting.

Yessica, Hutan, diwa and 4 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I wonder what the 'osteopathic approach could possibly be. I guess we have to wait for access to the full paper. It's very odd abstract that doesn't even hint at what the authors are suggesting osteopaths can do for ME.

I can't think of anything, apart from the untested Perrin technique, the LP guy who claims LP includes osteopathy, but I can't see how it bears any relation to it, and things like cranial osteopathy that seems shrouded in mystery but claims to be able to work all sorts of wonders. (I've both had lesson in how to do it - unconvinced - and had it done on me - did nothing for me).

Edit: Since it's in an American publication, I suspect it has nothing to do with any of the things I suggested, as they all originate in the UK, I think.

rvallee, shak8, Mithriel and 3 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Alison Bested works at Nova Southeastern University which has a combined osteopathic and medical degree course.

MEMarge, Yessica, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thank you.

I thought the name was familiar. She did the recent talk on pacing that was not well received by the ME community. I didn't listen, but I gather it was basic lifestyle advice and a song!
    See this thread.

That's the university where Nancy Klimas works. I've just listened to her in a Solve panel discussion and she mentioned Alison Bested and seemed to think she's wonderful! Dr Klimas opined that most pwME don't pace properly and we need to be listening to what our bodies need more frequently through the day.
    See this thread.

MEMarge, Yessica, Hutan and 2 others like this.