1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

United Kingdom: Action for ME (AfME) news

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Andy, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2021
    Sean, InfiniteRubix, MEMarge and 10 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

PhD Studentship application call

The purpose of our PhD Studentships is to support the career development of scientists in the UK who are in the early stages of their research career and have the potential to become leaders in the field of M.E. research. The Studentship provides match-funding for up to three years totalling £45,000. We are already funding two PhD Studentships with Prof Chris Ponting and Prof Neil Harrison.

Our 2021 application call was launched on Thursday 7 January, and the deadline for applications is noon on Monday 22 February.

https://www.actionforme.org.uk/rese...al-research/research-we-fund/phd-studentship/

Code:
    https://twitter.com/actionforme/status/1347200076247166976
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1347200076247166976

Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/actionforme/photos/a.76870643208/10158932216393209/

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Code:
    https://twitter.com/actionforme/status/1347490747705151489
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1347490747705151489

Paid and volunteer opportunities at AfME can be seen here, https://www.actionforme.org.uk/get-information/about-us/working-and-volunteering-for-us/ (same link as in tweet above).

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/actionforme/posts/10159057840958209
    Code:
    https://twitter.com/actionforme/status/1364259774112665606

Kitty, Simon M, cfsandmore and 8 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

"Action for M.E. is pleased to announce its trans-Atlantic partnership with US charity Solve M.E., focused on enhancing the wellbeing of people with M.E., raising awareness, delivering policy changes, and increasing research on its causes and possible treatments."

The partnership consists of three initiatives:
    • A two year postdoctoral fellowship designed to prepare postdoctoral researchers to excel in a career focusing on applying computational biology,
    • biostatistics, quantitative genetic, and data science to understanding the molecular basis of M.E. It includes one year being mentored by Prof Chris Ponting at the University of Edinburgh (also co-leading DecodeME) and a year mentored by Dr Liz Worthey at the University of Alabama.
    • Exploring how a digital platform like HealthTree can benefit people with M.E., connecting them with peer-support, shared experiences of symptom management, and research to which they can contribute. HealthTree has already started to do this successfully for people with myeloma.
    • Global advocacy in collaboration with the International Alliance for M.E., including plans for this year’s M.E. Awareness Month.

more here:
    USA: Solve ME/CFS Initative

cfsandmore, Snowdrop, rvallee and 9 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MEMarge, Legend, cfsandmore and 6 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

9. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am particularly pleased to see the research officer post. Hopefully this will help with the overall understanding of the biomedical science in the charity.

Binkie4, lunarainbows, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  10. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For children it may depend on who heads up that section. Was previously one of EC' s fans

11. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

worth bearing in mind that Action for ME is a partner in the DecodeME study its chief executive, Sonya Chowdhury, is chair of the study's management committee and played a huge part in making the study come about, as well as in setting it up. I don't think there is any need to worry about a psychosocial focus.

Binkie4, Ali, Jacob Richter and 10 others like this.
  12. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Super happy to see the advocacy officer posts :)

Binkie4, Jacob Richter, Ariel and 7 others like this.
  13. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yes I think this service is much needed i hope that means they are getting an additional person not just filling a vacancy

Binkie4, Ariel, Missense and 7 others like this.
  14. Amw66

Sonya has worked hard to turn things around, and is to be applauded. She brings experience to the table as her son has ME.

The children's section was AYME , which merged with AfME. Its head was retained as head of children's section and was a major supporter for EC' s research, including FITNET. I sincerely hope there has been as significant a change there too.

Binkie4, Forestvon, Missense and 9 others like this.
  15. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree that AfME has been seen to take some positive steps recently. Not all good but not all bad either.

I'm afraid it will take time and action before there will be automatic trust with anything AfME is involved in. I've seen them consistently throw us under the bus for many, many years. I watched their involvement with PACE at the time.

If Sonya turns things round then hats off to her. If they do something well I'll happily & publicly applaud that.

In the meantime, I'll wait and see.

RaviHVJ, Annie, Forestvon and 11 others like this.
  16. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mary Jane Willows, who was head of AYME left last year.

Who was r=their last science person @Amw66 ?

17. Amw66

@MEMarge
    You have got me there - sience as an all encompassing description I would struggle with. I am not aware of a " scientific advisor" role previously .
    Previous input has been from various roles - Hazel O' Dowd , Emily Beardall have both contributed - I won't comment on their contribution, there are threads which would elucidate this more succinctly.

Julia Newton and Gregor Purdie were both medical advisors ( not sure if these are still in place - particularly given Newton' s step down from research)
    Gregor Purdie helped draft the guide for GPs in Scotland which is not bad , it is just dated, and most GPs are not aware of its existence

18. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Quoted from AfME email April 2021 newsletter:

Survey: the impact of Covid-19 on people with M.E./CFS
    We’ve teamed up with #MEAction UK to launch a survey looking into the effect that Covid-19 has on people with M.E.

The survey aims to explore if M.E. symptoms are affected by Covid-19, how long any change in symptoms last and whether cognitive and/or physical functioning changes. The survey also ask about any new symptoms and how long these have lasted. Finally, it looks at the impact Covid-19 has had and whether it has led to increased use of healthcare services.

The survey will take approximately five minutes and is for people with M.E. who have had Covid-19 symptoms and/or been diagnosed with Covid. Respondents do not have to be a UK resident to take part. All responses will be anonymous.

Join our Breaking Isolation workshops for young people with M.E./CFS
    On April 10, 17, and 24, we're hosting free Breaking Isolation workshops for young people aged 8-14 who have M.E./CFS.

These workshops are a great opportunity for those who take part to get to know each other and enjoy fun games and creative activities. They're designed to be fun and not demanding, with breaks built in to accommodate attendees.

Registration is open online for ahead of Saturday’s first workshop of this block. We look forward to seeing everyone there!

mango, Ariel, Amw66 and 8 others like this.
  19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Odd survey. Looks more like it's simply asking whether ME patients got Covid, and whether they experience PEM, which seems redundant. Unless I missed something, those are the only questions I had.

20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think the point of the survey is to find out how people with ME experienced having Covid infection. If you haven't had Covid, then there would be no more questions to answer.