USA: National Institutes of Health (NIH) intramural ME/CFS study

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Simon M, Mar 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I share that concern, @Cheesus. Though they say they found some consistent results, it's only in a small sample of patients and will need replicating, and for all we know it may be some sort of downstream effect that will enable some sort of symptomatic treatment, perhaps to enable better sleep or reduce pain or OI, but not the root cause that would enable curative treatments. I'm trying very hard not to raise my hopes. There's a long way to go.

Michelle, Tia, Binkie4 and 16 others like this.
  2. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ariel and DokaGirl like this.
  3. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NEJM and JAMA ok with PP
    Lancet has their own PP server

4. Braganca

Braganca Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can’t remember exact details but I think some quite high number — about 30% I think — of people who were admitted for this study were discovered to have other diagnoses during the initial week long stay or whatever they did. I don’t think they said what those diagnoses were.
    (Edit: clarified below by a trial participant below that it was much lower — 3 out of 20)

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    Binkie4, FMMM1, Ariel and 1 other person like this.
  5. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh boy, yes @Trish.

It could just be some small downstream bits as you say. There are already sleep and pain remedies.

OI treatments might be good.
    But in general, side effects from most drugs are a concern.

And, as you say replication studies are needed.

It could be a very long time before there is effective help.
    At least there might be more belief, respect and kindness generated by the NIH papers.

And, interest from additional researchers.

MEMarge, Binkie4, Lilas and 6 others like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Maybe one of the benefits from the study will be any evidence they provide that other diagnoses really should be thoroughly checked for.

MEMarge, Lilas, LarsSG and 4 others like this.
  7. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ideally, I think you'd want researchers to be agnostic going in. You probably don't want someone who comes to the research with a lot of pre-conceptions, even if those preconceptions align with your own. You'd probably even prefer someone who's skeptical of your own view, rather than aligned with it because, if they are convinced, that would indicate that the evidence is strong indeed. What you obviously don't want is someone who's so invested in their own view that if affects their objectivity.

Dr. Nath strikes me as being about as agnostic and objective about the research results as you could hope for - even if that is sometimes frustrating for us as patients.

8. B_V

B_V Established Member (Voting Rights)

Three out of the 20-some patients brought in were given other diagnoses. One had Parkinsonism, one had a rare form of cancer and passed away shortly thereafter, and another patient had myositis in addition to ME/CFS.

MEMarge, Milo, Binkie4 and 6 others like this.
  9. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The term for this is "The Ingelfinger Rule."

FMMM1, Ariel and DokaGirl like this.
  10. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Isn't this just evidence that the "high profile" journals are no longer concerned with progress in science, and instead are more concerned about their own perceived status and bottom line? Scientists needs to move away from these types of "high profile" journals (NEJM in particular is run by editors that are completely out-of-touch).

FMMM1, Mithriel, Michelle and 10 others like this.
  11. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This.

If you want to find the flaws in your own argument, give it to a competent honest sceptic to tear apart.

12. Braganca

Braganca Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for details. Not as high as I’d remembered then.

Binkie4, Missense and Ariel like this.
  13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this is likely to be variable. They are going to internally circulate the soon to be completed draft, and probably will solicit comments and suggestions, followed by at least one more rewrite. This will take time. Only then will they submit for publication. Given the pandemic it might even be the case that a paper like this is given publication priority, and extra attention might be paid to it.

MEMarge, Sean, DokaGirl and 4 others like this.
  14. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did they replace them with other patients? Does anyone know?

DokaGirl, Trish and FMMM1 like this.
  15. FMMM1

Nailed it --- money!

Yip these journals don't give a s--t about those desperate to see the outcome of this study. However, I think someone mentioned to me that they were coming under pressure to speed up the publication of some high profile Covid studies --- hopefully the same thing can happen here.

16. FMMM1

Haven't checked but the study fell short of the intended number of participants ----
    Cort did an article some time ago (I think he was also a participant) and I think he dealt with the issue of those misdiagnosed/removed from the study --- where they replaced etc.

17. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They had lots more patients planned but the pandemic stopped the study early. I have no idea if any of those were replacements for any misdiagnosis or comorbid patients. Even so it took them a long time to analyse the data they did have.

MEMarge, Ariel, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  19. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

it sounds like this Colloquium is by. invitation only which means that any of the data or unpublished results will not be shared to the public unless the authors agree to share, and all the participants will agree not to share any information, most of whom will be researchers. We will have to wait.

Joh, cfsandmore, mango and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.