1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video: ME/CFS Alert, Episode 119: Interview with Tom Kindlon

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by ahimsa, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Please don't ask me to talk about thirds: it might get me in trouble! :laugh:

I remember a friend from Dublin but now living in New Zealand posting how his son was wearing the 33 jersey which he figured must be deliberate!

Hutan, alktipping, Sean and 4 others like this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

Before social media, mailing lists were arguably the main way information was distributed in the ME/CFS community.

Co-Cure was arguably the most important list in the late 1990s and for much of the 2000's. It wasn't designed for discussion, but stand-alone posts so it was generally acceptable to forward messages from CO-CURE to order discussion lists, which happened a lot.

There were a team of moderators, who worked to moderate messages and lots of people made submissions.

Eventually, the system started to break down. Some of us were given the power to approve our own posts.
    Unfortunately then the list owner, Ray Colliton, passed away, and the list now has no list owner or even moderators. So it has largely fallen away with only a handful of us making submissions.

Somebody in recent years has set up a website called CO-CURE, which has nothing to do with the original CO-CURE list or the original website that was associated with it, which was let lapse.

The archives of CO-CURE can still be read by anyone here:
    https://listserv.nodak.edu/archives/co-cure.html

I still think it could be a useful resource to find items from the 1990's and 2000's that haven't been archived on the Internet. I still sometimes do the odd search for items there.

Mariaba, Michelle, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for clarifying that, @Tom Kindlon. I'm relieved to know the site is nothing to do with you. I didn't like to say when I wasn't sure, but it's really not good. It might be worth adding something to the video notes dissociating yourself from that website.

4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just of curiosity, is the unaffiliated CO-CURE website the same one to which a link is supplied in the email list, www.co-cure.org?

I wonder why they decided not to supply a direct link to the NODAK archive instead of this rather naff website? It probably doesn't really matter, as I suspect most of those who're still signed up to the mailing list are old-timers well used to seeing duff information, but still...

[ETA: the link I'm talking about is in the final sentence at the bottom of the image.]

Screenshot 2020-10-19 at 15.08.40.png

5. Tom Kindlon

Unfortunately I can't change the footer, nor do I think there is anyone alive who can.

I did post at least one message to the list at some stage to point out that a new website had been set up at the link that wasn't associated with the list.

alktipping, Trish and Kitty like this.
  6. Tom Kindlon

For my sins, I sometimes get complaints that people can’t unsubscribe at the link including one this weekend; I am able to tell them how to unsubscribe.
    Also there have been some complaints that people’s messages haven’t been approved despite the fact that I don’t see their submissions. What fun.

Michelle, Hutan, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, one of those setups... :laugh: I remember one at work years ago, where we had to put up with an incorrect phone number being sent out for ages because no-one could fathom how to change it on our antiquated system.

Michelle, Trish and Tom Kindlon like this.
  8. Tom Kindlon

Incidentally, I send a link to the Science for ME weekly update each week to Co-Cure.

Michelle, Andy, Kitty and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tom Kindlon

This is an archive from 2014 of the original co-cure website: http://web.archive.org/web/20140625035237/http://co-cure.org/

However it was mainly a mailing list and many people who used it would never have gone to this site

mango, alktipping, Andy and 2 others like this.