1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Webinar: Scientific Research on ME/CFS in the Age of COVID-19 - Hanson, Lipkin, Nath - Oct 26th, 2020, 6 to 7pm ET.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Andy, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

+1 Very important point.

It doesn't even have to include exercise, it can be normal cumulative activities over time that can lead to becoming disabled.

Anna H, Sean, andypants and 3 others like this.
  2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would like to know what evidence he has to say that enteroviruses do not cause ME. There was research done in Scotland years ago and the doctor who did it gave a talk to a small group of us. He more or less said that enteroviruses did not cause ME because they were so common there would be more people getting ill if that was the case. He said that so many people had antibodies to enteroviruses it couldn't be a cause.

He did not seem to realize that polio was a disease where many people got infected by the virus but only a few got what we think of as polio.

When we know that enteroviruses can cause diseases like polio and acute flaccid myelitis it is premature to exclude them as a cause of ME especially when many of us became ill after an enteroviral illness and had never had EBV. Never mind the evidence from the epidemics and the expertise of doctors who were very familiar with serious enteroviral disease.

oldtimer, cfsandmore and chrisb like this.
  3. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure about his talk, but technically the slide in question does not say EBV or SARS etc cause ME/CFS. It says x % of patients infected with those develop ME/CFS symptoms. Also, Chia is part of one of those research teams; it's a stretch to think Lipkin would be unaware of his efforts, but I suppose it's possible.

It is an odd slide.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Mithriel and cfsandmore like this.
  4. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here's a transcript from the webinar, downloaded from the Zoom website.

Attached Files:

Anna H, roller*, Kalliope and 5 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member