1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

WebMD: Even Women Doctors Find Their Symptoms Aren’t Taken Seriously

Discussion in 'General Advocacy Discussions' started by Andy, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"In early 2014, Ilene Ruhoy, MD, PhD, was not feeling well. She tired more easily than usual, had frequent headaches, and was sometimes dizzy and nauseous. A hospital-based neurologist, Ruhoy made appointments with several of her colleagues. “Everyone kept telling me that I was working too hard, that I was too stressed out, that I should take some time off,” she recalls.

At first, she was inclined to believe that; after all, she was working a lot. But as the headaches became more persistent, she grew more concerned. She typically got one or two migraines a year, but now she was having headaches weekly. “It wasn't normal for me and I kept saying that, but they kept sort of dismissing it.” She repeatedly asked for an MRI – doctors aren’t allowed to order one for themselves – but since her neurological exam was normal, her doctors refused.

Then, one day, Ruhoy’s hearing began going in and out while she was grocery shopping, an experience that rattled her enough to make yet another appointment, this time with a primary care doctor who was a friend. “I just cried to her and I said, ‘I really just need you to order an MRI.’”

When Ruhoy emerged from the MRI machine, the technician told her to go directly to the emergency room. She had a 7-centimeter tumor pushing the left side of her brain to the right."

https://www.webmd.com/women/features/women-doctors-symptoms-dismissed

MeSci, EzzieD, Art Vandelay and 11 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And men doctors - like no need to check for prostate cancer Jo.

FMMM1, MeSci, Art Vandelay and 10 others like this.
  3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Still, and again!

It seems reassurance and/or dismissiveness are often the first things that spring to the lips.

Yes, basic neurological testing can be normal and an MRI show up some problems.

What I don't know is why. If these basic tests miss significant problems, such as noted in the article, then why are they relied on?

I know this scenario can happen to pwME. Those basic neurological tests many people have, can rule out further testing when it might be needed.

4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also in the article, people's weight blamed as the cause of all kinds of health problems.

I've seen a number of articles on various medical issues, where this is the case.

Easy to blame the patient. What can be missed is what's truly causing the health issue.

NelliePledge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Trewhitt likes this.