1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is Simon Wessely?

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping, Hutan and chrisb like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

DigitalDrifter, alktipping and Hutan like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    Barry, Hutan and alktipping like this.
  4. Sly Saint

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    Louie41, Woolie, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

By using "they", was he dissociating himself from the decision? It would be intersting to know the source for the belief.

Later he says "On all measures we got the same results". He is elusive. Was he privy to the discussions leading to the changes?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    Sean, Louie41, Woolie and 9 others like this.
  6. Barry

I know, this has done the rounds several times before, but it's like one of those standard jokes - you still can't help laughing at it every time you hear it.

The notion of "too extreme" is the usual double speak of course. Too extreme to allow fabrication of results is what it really amounted to.

bobbler, Louie41, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  7. Sly Saint

not 'too extreme' to be considered disabled enough to be eligible to be in trial in the first place though

bobbler, Joh, Louie41 and 12 others like this.
  8. Barry

Indeed.

Louie41, MEMarge, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  9. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If handled properly it is not unacceptable for researchers to say we got the design of our investigation wrong, and we believe that an alternative analysis of the data produces more interesting results, and then allowing other people to make their own mind on this.

However to play down the change to the extent it might be seen as trying to hide it, employing character assignation of anyone seeking to discuss this and to spend years and many thousands of pounds attempting to prevent any independent analysis of the data hardly seems to be part of a full and frank discussion of a correction of a minor design flaw.

bobbler, Louie41, MEMarge and 11 others like this.
  10. Frenetik19

Frenetik19 Established Member

If the NICE guidelines change tomorrow, as the UK The Times is reporting, will this affect SW and BPS school in any deletorious way?

hoping....

11. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately, as you probably will have now seen, the new NICE guidelines have literally been pulled at the eleventh hour. We don’t know what is happening next.

12. Frenetik19

I wonder if Wesseley was a member of Living Marxism at some point, as we know, the SMC was set up by LM alumni, now Spiked, he is the same age as many of their key players as well.

13. Frenetik19

No i didn't, gutted, will post on support group page, there is reall skullduggery, very british corruption, when it comes to M.E and the medical establishment

Louie41, MEMarge, Kirsten and 5 others like this.
  14. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Despite the long, tedious, and uncomfortable time sitting with nothing of any interest happening, despite all appearances, what has happened, is just not cricket.

But then SW Sir Prof doesn't strike me as someone with any interest in cricket, so that's probably all right, from his perspective.

Louie41, MEMarge, Woolie and 5 others like this.
  15. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To use another sporting analogy. Given what is happening here on several fronts it seems to be par for the course.

Louie41, MEMarge, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  16. chrisb

Sounds to me exactly like cricket. Major disappointment. Incompetent leadership. Lack of basic skills.

MEMarge, alktipping, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  17. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, and the principle of walking when you know you’ve hit the ball has long since gone from the game. Adam Gilchrist was the last batsmen I remember who would always walk, and he was very much an exception to the rule. I love cricket but there is a great deal more dishonesty in the game than I would like.

Louie41, alktipping and chrisb like this.
  18. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hadn't seen that one before. Seems that at the time they were just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. Somehow this model completely ignores the symptoms as playing any role, since obviously a healthy person just functioning normally does not have those symptoms that... cause... failure... somehow. I guess that's another word that has a different meaning in their weird dictionary.

Ironically arguing behavioral conditioning, seriously grasping at straws, while elsewhere arguing for... deconditioning. Semantic coincidence here but still. The stupid, it really hurts. How does arguing junk like this not simply end a career in medicine?

wessely-chalder-bjgp-chronic-conditioning.jpg

Source

Joh, Louie41, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  19. chrisb

Have you found the original letter from Ho Yen to which SW was replying. It is very reveaing. He made all the points which we still make to this day. I thought I posted the link somewhere on the forum but doubt whether I could find it now.

Kirsten, MEMarge, Trish and 3 others like this.
  20. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow I'd either not seen that or it had fallen out of my head. Thanks for posting. So, SW et al did/do think symptoms are maintained by conditioning. I suspect they might distance themselves from this now, had to have available to remind them what they did say, not what they thought they used to say

Louie41, alktipping, MEMarge and 2 others like this.