1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why use Forget Me Not as a symbol for ME?

Discussion in 'General Advocacy Discussions' started by MittEremltage, May 12, 2022.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But when I do a Google translate there is an important difference from the translation above:
    [my bold]

It says "missing loved one" not "lost loved one" - the difference is significant. A missing loved one is by no means necessarily a lost loved one, but can simply be someone that you have been torn apart from.

alktipping likes this.
  2. Rain

Rain Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A blue ribbon will always be the most neutral choice. But I have been «missing» from the lives of my loved ones for so long that my immediate thought was that I do really like this! I don’t have any previous cultural association with the flower, though.

My least favorite symbol/association is the blue butterflies that many uses… butterflies are so misused in the self help/toxic positivity industry as a symbol of “transition into a better version of yourself”, I just can’t relate to it.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    alktipping, mango and Trish like this.
  3. MittEremltage

MittEremltage Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They have changed their original post after I wrote this (and a blogpost about it) from lost loved one to missing loved one. The next post is still use ”lost”.

”Förgätmigej (Forget ME not) har historiskt symboliserat en förlorad älskade, och därför blivit en internationell symbol för sjukdomen ME. Den representerar alla som saknas av sina vänner och familj. De som saknas ute i arbetslivet och de som saknar sitt forna Jag. Samt alla de som saknar de sjuka!”

Trish likes this.
  4. MittEremltage

MittEremltage Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Noone who knows anything about the use of forget me not in the international ME-community from a historical perspective? RME claims that it is ”an international symbol for the disease ME.

Trish and Wonko like this.
  5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Regonised by nations on this planet?

The same planet thats chock full of nations that until very very recently refused to acknowledge that pwME exist?

alktipping likes this.