2024: Twitter campaign aimed at John Oliver and Jon Stewart

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by forestglip, May 30, 2024.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2024
    Peter Trewhitt and Solstice like this.
  2. Amw66

3. Amw66

Peter Trewhitt and Solstice like this.
  4. Amw66

5. Amw66

6. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://x.com/i/spaces/1yNGaZWVbOVJj

A recording of a one hour Twitter live voice session from the organizers of this. They discuss this campaign as well as the historical medical scandal surrounding ME/CFS.

7. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think we need to do something like this for melinda’s charity. I already collected a list of all her high ranking employees twitter accounts I could find.

sebaaa, geminiqry, rvallee and 7 others like this.
  8. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It looks like a good example of grabbing the narrative. There's some great stuff in all those memes that can be used way beyond today. Someone actually made one concerning the activist trope with me-patients in beds. I'll try to see if I can find it.

Mij, Hutan, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  9. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2024
    Comet, Peter Trewhitt and forestglip like this.
  10. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Her husband posted a time-lapse of her day.

https://fb.watch/sq40fCFYkz/

CovidSpice, rvallee, Trish and 3 others like this.
  11. forestglip

That's really great that they shared that.

Todd Davenport said it really well on Twitter:
    ME inherently makes it hard for the world to know what it is like for a person experiencing it, because it makes the person hide from the world. But thanks to internet and smartphones becoming so accessible, the direct evidence of the disease can be much more easily shared now.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2024
    Mij, bobbler, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  12. forestglip

Hutan, CovidSpice, Solstice and 3 others like this.
  13. Amw66

rvallee, Comet, forestglip and 2 others like this.
  14. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Does anyone know if Jon & John have actually seen any of the posts?

15. forestglip

On Facebook, to illustrate the difference, I posted the timelapse of her doing nothing in the dark all day as the after, and for before, this video of her doing experiments and backflips on a zero-G flight, obviously barely able to contain her energy and love for life:

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/YZH5BiakigDpwCM9/?mibextid=xfxF2i

She's a great option for the Jo(h)ns to use as an example since she has severe ME, she's well liked and well known, and there's plenty of footage of her being very healthy and energetic pre-COVID.

I wouldn't be surprised if they released the time-lapse on the JohnVsJonVsME day on purpose.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2024
  16. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unknown, but it’s likely some of their staff have as they were often tagged too and their twitter accounts aren’t necessarily that huge.

Solstice, Hutan, Dakota15 and 4 others like this.
  17. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That was pretty great. Participation was bigger than either LC or ME awareness days. I don't know what this says about our efforts. Maybe that adding a little fun to it works better? I'll go for that.

Generative AI turns out to be only somewhat useful for now, but in the near future it will be very good at it. So there will be opportunities to do more of this. Media influence people far more than words. Even when the words are righteous and factual. Sadly, when it comes to medical negligence, facts pretty much don't matter.

Jaime Seltzer's was great, it captured the tone and style of Last week tonight (John Oliver's show):
    IMO a good way to get Jon Stewart's attention is the overlap between the denial and dismissal of 9/11-related health issues, Gulf war illness and burn pits*. All of those were denied to exist by governments and even though Simon Wessely isn't necessarily a lynchpin, he does feature heavily here, but more generally it's the fact that there are many other MDs like him willing to do this dirty work. Behind every government denying illnesses where someone is at fault, there are biopsychosauruses involved, willing to shill out for powerful interests at the expense of people's lives.

Stewart has been an absolute force over those issues. When he talks about it you can feel how mad he is, how he feels the need to enact justice on those who failed people who did nothing wrong.

* Burn pits refers mostly to the Iraq wars, where some soldiers had the duty of disposing of all the trash produced by military bases and outposts, but it also affected people who worked at those bases. So lots of people basically stood around for days breathing toxic smoke from burning garbage. This is what is suspected to have killed Joe Biden's son, so this could be another angle, there is clear overlap here. Last week he wrote on Facebook:
    I don't know if this legislation applies to GWI, but it definitely should. And the overlap with us is strong.

bobbler, Solstice, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  18. forestglip

FYI, started a thread over here: https://www.s4me.info/threads/gpt-for-me-cfs-questions.38766/

Moderation note: posts relevant to GPT have been moved to the new thread

Solstice, Deanne NZ, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  19. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't know if this has been posted already as I can't see the content of linked xtweets.

But this thread is worth (re)posting, it's brilliant. Also a contender for most bird puns within a twitter thread which must surely be saying something

glossary for non-Kiwis:

Tui = female name as well as name of a NZ bird (English spelling)

Pūteketeke (grebe) = NZ bird, awarded title of NZ Bird of the Century thanks to some serious(ly funny) election interference by JO​

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1796591224427815149.html

Solstice, Sean, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  20. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Solstice, Hutan, Ebb Tide and 5 others like this.