A nanoelectronics-blood-based diagnostic biomarker for ME/CFS (2019) Esfandyarpour, Davis et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Apr 29, 2019.

1. roller*

roller* Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the first pic with the signal (impedence/resistance) ... it seems that things start after 30-45 minutes only. is this odd ?
    and then it basically explodes. its gross steep. then runs out of steam.
    could it look like a chemical reaction of some sort ?

also, the healthy controls increase as well.
    so, perhaps its not something unusual, just extraordinary intense.

and also, why does the signal "end". does it ?
    does it return to baseline ?
    why was it cut ? or could they no longer keep cells alive ?

[​IMG]

hinterland, Amw66 and andypants like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Vogt is a cult salesman. Opinion not relevant. He can go jump on a STOP mat until he passes his fake tantrum.

The irony is that none of them are actually capable of diagnosing ME patients and constantly misdiagnose people with other conditions, since their own personal fictitious definition is deliberately vague and broad for that purpose.

I guess the "tools" is supposed to be clinical observation, which none of them successfully use so whatever. Vogt and his ilk likely have a 50%+ misdiagnosis rate. The nanoneedle has a 100% rate with no false positives or negatives. It's not perfect, but it's orders of magnitude better than their fake expertise.

Pechius, ukxmrv, MEMarge and 12 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not a lot I am afraid. I was aware of it. It is just that as an immunologist familiar with suspensions of peripheral blood mononuclear cells I find it very hard to work out what was actually going on. Why didn't the cells walk off the electrodes from time to time?

TrixieStix, Helen, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Both very good points.

Thank you for pointing that out @Robert 1973 i would never want to imply that.

5. Estherbot

Estherbot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, JaneL, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  6. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cellular sodium pumps seem to be an interesting topic. Anyone know more about them and perhaps relevance to this test?

This is an interesting snippet I read
    I wonder if the above has anything to do with the nerve damage many have that results in small fiber neuropathy as measured by skin biopsy (I seem to remember Dr Systrom talking about 40% SFN in his ME/CFS patients at the recent NIH talk)
    Wow that's a lot!
    Source : http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/topics/sodium_pump.html

It seems these pumps operate to maintain a resting membrane potential. Here is a brief 2 min video describing sodium and potassium pumps on the cell walls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iExyeBwhNjM

Octogenarian, Oups, sb4 and 7 others like this.
  7. roller*

we should ask a wastewater expert for their opinion

"regular" medical profession is not equipped to answer such questions

8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting how the ME/CFS characteristic seems to be a greatly exaggerated version of the controls. From time zero the impedance drops initially, then steadily rises again. For ME/CFS, the drop is much more dramatic and for longer, before then rising far more significantly. Also presumably significant that when not stressed, the impedance is the same for both.

upload_2019-4-30_19-41-28.png

Octogenarian, MEMarge, Sean and 6 others like this.
  9. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems I don't have ME, I have cerebrospinal fluid instead (CSF), at least according to the great people at GEN (or should that be GNE?).

Not an odd typo, repeated, repeatedly - does the position of proofreader not exist any more?

Get the damn basics right, the name of the condition your articles on, get it right, FFS!!

(or forget the whole CFS rubbish name completely, but using it, and then getting it wrong....doesn't encourage me to read further)

TiredSam, JaneL, andypants and 5 others like this.
  11. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

With all this talk of salt being bad for cells I’m wondering if I should lay off the cheese and onion crisps

Missense, MEMarge, Sly Saint and 6 others like this.
  12. jamari

jamari Established Member (Voting Rights)

Definitely not. Some things are just worth it. :emoji_sweat_smile::emoji_sweat_smile:

13. roller*

they added a lot of salt as a stressor.
    stressor to simulate PEM/exercise/crash.

(i understand)
    - there are other stressors, e.g. lipopolysaccarides..
    - but no other stressor was tested, only salt
    - the stressor caused a non-beneficial event (assuming)

since mecfs cells react that sensitive to a (osmotic) "stressor"
    how does this tie in with

- ppl finding benefit in bicarbonate (a salt)
    - hyperbaric oxygen therapy / - oxygen therapy

(altitude / diving must be absolutely intolerable for pwmecfs, guessing)

what other things may cause (strong) "osmotic" events ?

perhaps, particular interesting those, that may make one worse and then (later) better.
    actually, opposite of "PEM".

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Octogenarian and andypants like this.
  14. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry come I had assumed you had seen that’s because of your question about the geometry. As someone without any experience of PBMC is suspended in plasma, I had assumed that there might be some local forces attracting the sounds to be electrode.

But also, I had assumed that some of the cells would wander off but that with 4000 Micro chambers and five samplings a second the device would capture an average-occupancy-based figure.

15. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What is the salt doing?

I wonder if this experiment is all about the cellular sodium/potassium pumps and their ability to use ATP to pump. If that is the case there must be other tests that can measure the functioning ability of these pumps, that may not have to rely on the nanoneedle in order to validate and extend the experiment using a different method?

I wonder if you could use fluorescent tags of the mitochondrial membrane and then apply the salt solution while monitoring with a microscope. After 3 hours perhaps there would be a big difference?

This is an excerpt from a talk given by Paul Cheney in 2013
    https://paradigmchange.me/wp/cheney...Ieg9aZM2j6goro3ChWzK1LE_52m3nudQFVmmgn_cUnneY

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  16. roller*

it would be interesting to see, what the severe patients had in common.
    in terms of meds taken in their lifetime, vaccinations, infectious diseases ...

(things not directly or closely related to falling sick)

hinterland likes this.
  17. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looking at the Discussion section, I find it encouraging that Ron and his team have some good insights (albeit not yet proven) into what the biological mechanisms might be for the impedance differences - I don't understand the biology. At this stage there is obviously a lot of ifs and maybes, but it does sound like they are hypothesising that some of the possible biological anomalies with ME, could also be the very things causing the impedance changes. It would be great if they can firm up on that, but there must be an awful lot of work in that, and I imagine those theories will be very tentative at this time. Still a long way to go, but potentially very promising. Certainly way too early to get over confident I would think though.

19. beverlyhills

beverlyhills Established Member (Voting Rights)

Sodium potassium pumps are sexually dimorphic and if the controls are not matched then you would have an overrepresentation of females in the CFS population leading to altered impedance.

Snow Leopard, andypants, Joel and 4 others like this.
  20. Hip

Hip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did your tweets actually appear under the #mecfs hashtag listing though when you used this hashtag in your tweets?

I see other familiar ME/CFS patients' tweets appear in the #mecfs listing, but my tweets never do.

Perhaps I'm some sort of persona non grata on Twitter!

roller* likes this.