Advice on mask-wearing to protect against Covid-19

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Hip, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Hip

Hip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That 70% reduction in transmission may be enough to halt the pandemic:

The basic reproduction number (BRN) of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus is thought to be around 2 to 3 (meaning each infected person goes on to infect 2 or 3 others on average).

A 70% reduction in transmission means a reduction by a factor of 100 / (100 - 70) = 3.3

So a
    reduction in transmission by a factor of 3.3 will reduce the BRN down to 3 ÷ 3.3 = 0.9 or less — which means the pandemic will die out, because pandemics fizzle out when the BRN is less than 1.

This is crazy! I understand the need to protect the mask supply for frontline medics; but then if you don't get the message out that universal use of masks may dramatically slow down the pandemic, the frontline medics are going to be so totally overloaded anyway with cases that the hospitals will just collapse.

We need our leaders to call on industry to start manufacturing masks as an emergency priority, like they did for ventilators, so that everyone can have one.

2. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Boston hospitals getting ‘game changer’ machine that sterilizes 80,000 protective masks a day

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/02/metro/boston-hospitals-getting-game-changer-machine-that-sterilizes-80000-protective-masks-day/

JaneL, Trish, spinoza577 and 7 others like this.
  3. Hip

I am eager to hear the update from the WHO on their advice about the general populace wearing masks. The WHO are reviewing some new unpublished evidence from Hong Kong on the efficacy of masks for the general public.

This article (2 April) says:
    I hope the WHO don't dilly dally. They reviewed the evidence yesterday.

And the death toll in the UK seems to be doubling every 3 days at the moment.

4. Yessica

Yessica Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't been able to read the whole thread so this may already have been posted.

CDC's Recommendation Regarding the Use of Cloth Face Coverings, Especially in Areas of Significant Community-Based Transmission

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html

Finally and thankfully San Diego, CA is now mandating all workers to wear masks and anyone who has to go out they recommend for them to do so too. Not the N95 masks.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/lo...an-diego-countys-public-health-order/2298442/

5. Hip

6. Yessica

Yessica Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think they just added it today.

Hopefully with others sharing the CDC's and sharing it with their gov't officials they will get going with it and not wait any longer. In the meantime, we all will do what we can to get it going and make it safer.

Thank you for starting this thread @Hip.

Please keep taking good care as you can everyone.

7. Hip

One general observation about how the world is dealing with this coronavirus pandemic:

Obviously this is a medical issue, so the medical profession are the main players. However, by nature the medical profession is conservative and evidence-based, which is good in general, but may not be particularly helpful characteristics in a novel situation like this.

Analogy to wartime has been made with coronavirus. But in World War Two, people tried all sorts of creative ideas to defeat the enemy. They did not go around saying: "there's no empirical evidence to suggest Barnes Wallis's bouncing bomb will bring down those dams"; they just went ahead and tried out ideas that had a reasonable chance of working.

So I think we need to apply the same creative, experimental thinking in our efforts to defeat this pandemic. There was plenty of indirect evidence suggesting that masks or face coverings for the populace would be useful, and it costs nothing to ask the public to cover their faces with cloth. But it's taken months for the US to go with this idea, and the UK have still not adopted it.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I actually think this is the opposite of the case. Evidence based medicine was introduced by the medical profession to try to clean up its act because by nature doctors not only 'just went ahead and tried out ideas that had a reasonable chance of working' they were constantly going ahead with ideas that had been shown to be useless but made doctors rich - like tonsillectomy.

If I had not gone ahead and tried rituximab for RA it would not be licensed. For thousands of years the medical profession consisted entirely of people trying things in the hope they might work.

The actual restriction of medical activity came with a political desire to save money from either governments or insurance companies. They had to fight the medical profession hard to restrict 'clinical freedom'.

The decision not to wear masks because there was little evidence they worked was almost certainly a political one driven by shortages. Moreover, evidence based medicine implies that you weigh up the most likely balance of benefit and risk from what limited evidence you have. Since wearing masks does not seem to have a risk evidence based medicine would say wear one, if only because it is common sense that it might stop sputtering virus on other people.

mango, alktipping, Yessica and 8 others like this.
  9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That study is for influenza, so you can't fully generalise the findings for SARS-Cov-2 which is more infectious.

If you had eye protection as well, and manage to handle the eye protection, mask and clean your face without further contamination, then it could help. But this is a far cry from the masks and handling methods that the general public is using.

Using such a mask incorrectly could actually increase your risk. Proper handling discussed here:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIl-sKJCHJALZyeoewSI45g

10. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder how long the virus can survive on an N95 mask. It seems like you could sequester the masks in a circular chain for that period of time and then use them again once their "quarantine" period was up. I believe the article above on machine sterilization says that the masks themselves can be reused up to five times.

I can't find anything on the length of the virus' survival on an N95 mask. On other surfaces, though, it's a few days at most.

No doubt I'm overlooking something basic here.

11. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems like a pretty convincing argument for masks:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...sk-may-be-our-best-weapon-to-stop-coronavirus

12. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been talking to friends lately about how it would be good if everyone wore masks not for self-protection but to protect others but weirdly, they can't seem to hear it, even the health professionals - they still think in terms of self-protection and so think it would be a waste of time. That Guardian article has convinced them, though!

13. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From a scientific/medical viewpoint, I wonder if there is anything novel here (apart from the fact it's gone Global)? It's a virus and the WHO advice has been clear from the start --- you can't fight what you can't see --- test, trace contacts, isolate +ve's, reduce transmission. Look at the numbers of people who died in Lombardy (500/million) versus Veneto (57/million)*; Veneto tested people in their homes and quarantined them there e.g. delivering food and medicines. The WHO has been clear that there are different strategies that have worked in different societies; however, they all involve the same fundamentals - test, trace contacts, isolate +ve's, reduce transmission.

In terms of the role of the medical profession i.e. in advising the Government; the clue is that they advise, Ministers/Prime Minister decide. The obvious question is why didn't they follow Veneto - test, trace contacts, isolate +ve's, reduce transmission? OK, they couldn't deliver the first thing "testing"! You need PCR/antigen testing to identify those who are infected/infectious; so that you can isolate them and reduce transmission. So the Government's abandonment of the test --- strategy is presumably due to the fact that it couldn't deliver and it didn't want to explain why**!

As for a military analogy; the population are hiding in bunkers. As for ammunition, the Government hasn't announced large scale testing to identify those infected/infectious; it's announced testing for those who have been infected/are not infectious (antibody/serology/blood tests). So they haven't offered anything to turn the battle (PCR/antigen testing)--- your stuck in your bunker hoping you/yours survive -- we all are!

Your reference to the bouncing bomb (WW2). I thought this was actually an example of something that soaked up a lot of resources (including the lives of aircrew) and achieved nothing militarily, but has rather brilliantly been re-framed as a success. Is that the analogy you are trying to draw i.e. a strategy which resulted in a greater loss of life/economic downturn, re-branded as success -- you may be on to something!

When you take on a role in Government policy you are reminded that your responsibilities include --- presenting Government policy in the best possible light. So view anything from Government with that in mind --- I think we are indebted to those who are knowledgeable and are not constrained by that responsibility --- Anthony Costello @Jonathan Edwards

I've followed @Keela Too example i.e. a home made mask. Without being gender stereotypical (male) I just cut up a hoover bag and stuff bits in a balaclava (as a filter). The filters have just been sterilised, in water with detergent (64+ degrees centigrade ---possibly go for 74 next time), and are drying out for re-use.

A family member (female - gender stereotypical) has made one on a sewing machine --- probably in the faint hope I'll wear it!

@Jonathan Edwards interesting about the tonsillectomy; could you provide a link to a paper regarding the assessment of tonsillectomy? Any link between ME and tonsillectomy?

*https://hbr.org/2020/03/lessons-from-italys-response-to-coronavirus
    **https://www.theguardian.com/comment...herd-immunity-community-surveillance-covid-19
    haven't read the Guardian article yet.

14. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ian Lipkin says that they are testing whether "56 degrees (centigrade) for 30 minutes"* would work for sterilising masks i.e. so that they can be re-used. However, I'm not sure how you could do this at home; possibly start 10 degrees higher in a thermos and that way you'd maintain the (56 + degree) temperature for long enough. I've just been putting my hoover bag filters into water/detergent at a bit higher --- 65+ and I may go a bit higher still --- 74 (works for high risk foods like chicken). @Keela Too

@Snow Leopard Part of this is that masks may reduce the risk of you infecting someone else; I sure wish those in my supermarket used them (during my 1/5 day visits!).

*time approx 51.30 minutes in the interview http://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-special-lipkin/

Forbin, alktipping, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  15. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For items that can’t be washed would a conventional oven do? 60’C isn’t generally a temp that burns things. I actually put fabric I’d received from an online supplier into the oven for about an hour at 75’C. I was just guessing of course, but looks like I was on the right side of effectiveness!

alktipping and FMMM1 like this.
  16. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wouldn't washing the cloth mask with hot soapy water be sufficient?

17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

If a mask is cotton fabric, you could iron it after washing. That should surely kill off any viruses.

mango, alktipping, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  18. Mij

@Trish yes, a good hot iron with a lot of steam.

alktipping, JaneL and Trish like this.
  19. Mij

I can't believe I found 2 more N95 masks in my closet. I will keep them as I gave away the other 10.

Sean, alktipping, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  20. Hip

Appreciate that point, and certainly doctors may have been more experimental in the past. But in countries like the UK, where evidence-based medicine has been practiced for many decades now, so medics can only do what NICE and the NHS stipulate they are allow to do, perhaps this not the right culture and environment to stimulate creative experimental thought?

So maybe this culture stultifies medical creativity a bit, or puts the more creative types off becoming a doctor? I am not berating evidence-based medicine though, just commenting on it.

Definitely not good, though, to have an idea but not then test it out empirically. Nothing worse than someone who assumes their theoretical model or pet idea must be true, without checking if it really works empirically.

alktipping and Keela Too like this.