Advice on mask-wearing to protect against Covid-19

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Hip, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They probably do both reasonably well but as you say the relative effect on transmission is likely tone complicated. Virus only gets out one way - breathing out air. It cannot in from breathing in or touching your face with a contaminate hand and so on.

JaneL, Leila, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am going out grocery shopping this week and plan to wear a mask for the first time. I only have N95 masks that I obtained a few years ago and now feel uncomfortable wearing it. I hope no one judges me, or thinks that I hoarded masks and took them away from healthcare providers.

NelliePledge, Yessica, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  3. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Protecting yourself and others is a responsible thing to do. Using the N95 means you're less likely to end up in a hospital or exacerbate ME and later need more care.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  4. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's probably no longer usable as medical level PPE due to the date of manufacture. Maybe write the expiry date on it with a permanent pen so that others can see that.

NelliePledge and Leila like this.
  5. Mij

I've decided to wear a small silk scarf to cover it.

NelliePledge, JaneL, TiredSam and 3 others like this.
  6. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just heard the founder of 'Masks for All' on R4 explain this. It's because as breath leaves your mouth it's in the form of relatively large droplets and the mask can catch those. But without any restriction, those droplets get much smaller the further they get from your mouth (or the virus drops out of them or something, didn't quite catch what he said) and so they can penetrate the masks of bystanders.

It really is about us all protecting each other, not ourselves.

He said he and colleagues just published a paper on this today but I haven't been able to find it.

Can anyone else? I'd like to see it.

lycaena, Sean, TrixieStix and 3 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Excellent presentation on wearing homemade masks on UK Radio 4 at 5.30ish. Seems all sewn up. @Keela Too gets the Nobel Prize. Now to wait for the government to take note.

I have perfected a response to p[eople who loudly hail 'Good Morning' on the path and when I do not reply shout it again as if I was being rude:

Better not to shout
    It lets the virus out.

The response tends to be seething and contempt for this poor guy wearing a seersucker face cover. But I enjoy it.

Edit: Sasha beat me to it.

8. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did you catch the guy's name, Jo? I'd like to track down the paper that he mentioned.

Keela Too likes this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

It isn't Heyman - he is an official advisor. I think it might be Stuart?

10. Jonathan Edwards

11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a couple of N95 masks that I purchased several years ago for when I'm sanding or shredding paper. As I have medical appointments that I must go to, I'm not worrying about other people judging me when I wear a mask. Some people have nothing better to do with their time and that is their problem - not mine.

12. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's a reference to a paper in this snippet on Radio 4 (but not the one your referring to I guess) "More or Less" ---
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000h6cb
    18 minutes to 19 but check out other bits on masks --- from 14 minutes

Seems like @Keela Too was way ahead of the game --- vacuum cleaner bags!

Anyone got a link to the Radio 4 program?

JaneL, Sasha and Leila like this.
  13. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

FMMM1, JaneL, Keela Too and 1 other person like this.
  14. Jonathan Edwards

15. Yessica

Yessica Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Help please, question about the non-PPE face masks. I'm in a situation where I'm most iikely going to be exposed to coronavirus.

I'm confused about this, I've read some studies that seem to say the non-PPE masks keep out a good portion of what's breathed in and others that say it's very minimal. I understand the protection for others with it.

A little about the situation I'm in and a question at the end. Thank you if you can enlighten me more on non-PPE mask for my protection.

I live in a private small room in a large building, everything else is shared.

I'm scared every time I leave my room. Many of the residents don't take this seriously at all and others not as seriously as is called for. Also several aren't good about covering their mouths when coughing and such. Needing to protect myself esp with airborne in the elevator and kitchen.

They are also bus riders, so they are exposed to everyone on the bus and we have a huge homeless population here that rides the bus and aren't or aren't able to take extra precautions to protect themselves from possible exposure to coronavirus which adds to this.

I'm bed bound except for daily I have to walk two long halls, to ride an elevator downstairs to sit in a chair in the communal kitchen and wait for the slow water cooler to fill up my gallon of water. Also have to go down for packages and delivery tooo. And the restrooms are communal.

I don't have the health to be able to make or to search for face masks and I'm so full of complications and ability with regards to washing them. N95's if I could get them can't wear due to a couple of loose teeth. Delivered water doesn't work.

With all the above in mind, is it worth my while to crash myself even harder, esp as I'm losing weight that I can't afford to loose and struggling just to get food I can eat, to try to somehow make non-PPE masks happen for me?

ladycatlover, Sean, JaneL and 3 others like this.
  16. Jonathan Edwards

I would find something really simple to tie around the lower half of your face. A light neckerchief or something like that might do very well. Folded in a triangle and tied at the back like a bandit would be what I would do. If you are careful about touching surfaces and washing hands my guess is that you would be quite well protected.

17. Mij

JaneL, ahimsa, Wonko and 4 others like this.
  18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

19. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

This looks like a good article on the advantages of wearing masks and how it affects R0. It goes through the different bits of evidence.
    https://www.fast.ai/2020/04/13/masks-summary/

Mij, JaneL, Yessica and 4 others like this.
  20. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

From that excellent article:

Some have claimed that making (or strongly encouraging) people to wear masks will encourage risky behavior... (...) However, real-world research on these topics found that even though some individuals responded with risky behavior, at a population level there was an overall improvement in safety and well-being (Peng et al. 2017; Houston and Richardson 2007).

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, behaviourists.

Wits_End, Cheshire, JaneL and 7 others like this.