1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article: We Might Have Long Covid All Wrong (covers FND,ME/CFS,includes Sharpe,Garner, Carson and more).

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Dec 8, 2022.

1. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And like it or not, but we live in a world where physical conditions are taken more seriously.

2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

These are conditions in which it appears the nervous system isn’t working the way it should, but doctors can’t figure out why.

So why are FND advocates so certain it is psychogenic?

Is this a competition to see who can get away with the most profound and blatant contradiction?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  3. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This reply communicates an unequivocal truth. Shure is intransigent regarding her position, and will leverage any opportunity to advance this framework. Her access to various platforms and penchant for publication makes her an adversary we will undoubtedly contend with for years to come. She’s Elaine Showalter on steroids, and we should be prepared to combat these arguments for the millionth time.

4. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or, alternatively, she is a dilettante, out of her depth, without any particularly strong opinions but who nonetheless is deeply indignant that anyone would have the temerity to disagree with her, and who will now direct her illuminatory gifts onto other topics.

5. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"There is zero credible evidence that she ever had Lyme Disease (by her own admission, she tested negative based on established, mainstream CDC criteria), let alone a chronic manifestation that was alleviated in any way by multiple rounds of long-term antibiotics, which have been decisively found to be ineffective. "

Oh dear. Does she have any idea of the controversies embedded in this sentence? It's almost as if she throws out these declarations unaware of the massive upheaval underway in Lyme world about these and similar contested opinions.

6. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

exactly...

If i, while having a broken leg (for example), went to the doctors in huge distress reporting i was hearing voices telling me to kill myself, & the doctor dismissed this as being 'its because you're in pain with your leg - here is a stronger pain killer'. I would absolutely get home and tell my family that the doctor had 'dismissed it all as being due to my broken leg, fobbed me off withpain killers when i fear i may be suicidal'.

Would Shure then say I was implying a hierarchy of validity - with psychosis being more valid than fractures?

7. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How many of us did actually take CBT of any kind with or without GET on our own volition just to be made infinitely worse. I went for it myself, hook, line and sinker. I mean, I went all in. I deluded myself for 5 long years saying I just hadn't found the right balance of activities or I wasn't trying hard enough because that's what I had been told at the clinic that I went to freely without anyone forcing me. The only good that came out of it was that I couldn't be made to go again when applying for benefits.

It took a very strong case from my mother, who saw me deteriorating, to convince me to at least reflect on the possibility I was hurting myself by following the advice laid out for me by a psychologist that fully bought into the BPS-narrative for this disease. Where does Shure come off making the claims she does. If there were such a thing as M.E.-activists they're created by the harms of depriving people help and feeding them a harmful narrative.

8. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lilas, Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and 5 others like this.
  9. RedFox

I tried regular exercise and looking for the "right" way to manage my activities. Shockingly, it did nothing. Maybe I should've tried yoga instead hehe.

10. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Try Tai Chi, you'll feel so connected to the world. If you do it long enough you'll connect to the ground too.

They actually gave us Tai Chi at that place btw and one of the women nearly tipped over on the way back to her room. She was considered a bad apple by the psychologist in charge.

sebaaa, Lilas, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  11. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lilas, Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  12. Sean

Shure also has another meaning, albeit a bit more obscure: It is a brand of microphone.

So you could say that she likes broadcasting her opinions to the world.

13. Three Chord Monty

Three Chord Monty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately the SM57 & SM58 are pretty much industry standard, the most popular traditional mics you'll see on most stages, so I was trying to not even think about that. Not even sure she rates a comparison to the SM48 which is B-stock.

14. RedFox

How can you be a microphone if you refuse to listen?

15. Sean

Turn up the volume enough and all you can hear is your own voice.

Hutan, duncan, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  16. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Jaybee00

I think the “fact checking” wasn’t the issue. The only “facts” to check were the statements from the psycho set. The issue is that she didn’t bother to highlight/interview folks from the “disease is a biological illness” side.

This is the point

https://twitter.com/user/status/1620105886558748676

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    MEMarge, RedFox, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  18. Jaybee00

19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

There's a really good reply to Natalie Shure's Medium artcle:

Joh, Hutan, Simbindi and 23 others like this.
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The entire article is interpretation. That's the issue. It's not factual, doesn't conform to journalism standards, it's very and obviously biased. Doing that doesn't make pointing out the flaws equal interpretation, FFS.

Hutan, Simbindi, EzzieD and 9 others like this.