BPS attempts at psychologizing Long Covid

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by rvallee, Jul 22, 2020.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The author is displaying about the same level of listening skills to the responses as whatever reading skills she put into the last part of the article. She mentions at some point she has been looking for years at the evidence. Which is just sad, all things considered. It's one thing to put out nonsense, it's a whole other thing to put effort into it.

MEMarge, Hutan, Nightsong and 11 others like this.
  2. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The GP quoted in this article, Tomlinson, is also quoted here as saying "[t]here is no one for whom the problem of chronic pain is not a symptom of complex trauma."

Such views would be laughable if they were not so deeply damaging.

andypants, MEMarge, Hutan and 19 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is an interesting video. Dr Tomlinson looks to be suffering from some fairly serious psychopathology - may be childhood trauma, or maybe something more real.

For a journalist to quote someone whose body language so clearly exudes nonsense is a serious failing.

shak8, MEMarge, ladycatlover and 17 others like this.
  4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He also looks about 15--whatever age, he certainly seems a bit young to be making grand categorical about all cases of chronic pain.

5. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Regarding the Observer article:

A personal perspective of understanding illness made universal in order to justify the perspective.

MEMarge, anniekim, JemPD and 2 others like this.
  6. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At least he openly says what he believes. This limits the harm somewhat. Compare to the PACE authors who are clever and always say to journalists that they don't know why patients object to CBT when it's only an attempt to help them cope with illness.

7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Code:
    https://twitter.com/MaryClayton13/status/1333088969102397443
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1333088969102397443

I don't understand Tomlinson's replies to MaryClayton13. He doesn't make it clear whether he thinks endometriosis, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis or Ehlers Danlos syndrome actually exist? Or they are caused by childhood trauma? Or they don't cause physical trauma? Or they don't leave any legacy of trauma?

What exactly is he trying to get at here? Because it isn't clear (to me) what he thinks or means at all.

Shinygleamy, Nightsong, JemPD and 9 others like this.
  8. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1333181273259565057

MEMarge, Hutan, Shinygleamy and 18 others like this.
  9. JamBob

JamBob Established Member (Voting Rights)

I've read Tomlinson's tweets over a number of years. I don't think he has a bad heart, but as a GP he is a longstanding member of a Balint group where GPs get together regularly for group therapy to discuss their feelings about their patients and the experience of being a doctor from a psychotherapeutic perspective.

It seems to me that the psychological perspective gives him a sense of mastery/power in a consultation because he can "explain" unexplained symptoms. He works in a deprived East End practice where socioeconomic factors are prevalent in consultations and he seems to think that "ACE" (adverse childhood experiences) can account for lots of the symptoms that patients with chronic conditions report.

For young healthy, fitness freak guys like him, it must be hard to understand that your body can get damaged by chronic disease or pathogens and that medical treatments don't necessarily ameliorate all your symptoms. His problem is lack of personal experience as his biggest health complaint seems to be occasional accidents on his bike where he fractures a limb. He doesn't really understand what chronic disease involves on an experiential level.

Woolie, shak8, MEMarge and 18 others like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Trial By Error: The Observer Slips Up; ME Association Responds
    https://www.virology.ws/2020/11/29/trial-by-error-the-observer-slips-up-me-association-responds/

shak8, MEMarge, Hutan and 15 others like this.
  11. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What a quack.

Unfortunately his views would be shared by the majority of doctors here in Australia. Perhaps more importantly, those few medical professionals who would disagree with him generally lack the courage to publicly call out this sort of quackery.

Doctors like this are a danger to patients and need to banned. Can complaints can be made about him to the UK medical authorities?

Woolie, MEMarge, Hutan and 13 others like this.
  12. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, that's reassuring. At least we can rule out confirmation bias. :rolleyes:

Woolie, shak8, MEMarge and 17 others like this.
  14. Tao Fogger

Tao Fogger Established Member (Voting Rights)

I'm inclined to think that the 'trauma' that doctors speak of here is not so much childhood trauma, so much as the trauma of being psychologised and misdiagnosed by doctor's such as this. :banghead:

Woolie, MEMarge, Hutan and 22 others like this.
  15. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems that doctors have become social-media 'influencers' now? I mean, where is his responsibility as a physician about using his platform to spread his ignorance and misinformation?

Woolie, shak8, MEMarge and 14 others like this.
  17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

18. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Haven't seen anything by Frances Ryan for a while – good that she's spoken out.

Binkie4, Woolie, MEMarge and 10 others like this.
  19. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We have to remind ourselves that medical doctors are generally not scientists or other researchers. Just because they have “Dr.” before their name doesn’t mean they know anything or have any idea what they are talking about.

Like what is this garbage he wrote?
    Where’s the references from the literature? Where’s the evidence? It’s just made up smart sounding verbal diarrhea.

Medical school doesn’t train most doctors to have the critical thinking skills and training of a researcher. The problem is that many people just listen to them because they automatically think they must be smart because they are a doctor.

How many stupid and ignorant doctors have we all had to suffer through? That even went to amazing medical schools? Tons.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Woolie, MEMarge, Hutan and 14 others like this.
  20. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the garbage shows that this is more than just ignorance. This is arrogant hamfisted evangelical busy-bodying of a very nasty sort. Despite what @JamBob says, I actually think this shows a bad heart; imposing your self-righteousness on others is bad. The journalist should be ashamed to have quoted this and may need to ask herself whether she is in the same boat. The Guardian editor in chief, as Frances Ryan implies, needs to ask herself some questions about what her paper is about. I actually think that one of the main reasons people vote for people the Guardian hate is because the people the Guardian fawn over aren't always the perfect rational compassionate beings they think they are. Life is more complicated than the colour of a banner.

Binkie4, Woolie, shak8 and 27 others like this.