BPS attempts at psychologizing Long Covid

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by rvallee, Jul 22, 2020.

1. AR68

AR68 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge and Barry like this.
  2. AR68

AR68 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Barry likes this.
  3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We may end up there by different pathways but there’s often some kind of connection.

MEMarge, alktipping and Barry like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah yes, Mr "Historian of medicine" out there pretending the lack of an association with acute disease severity means the psychosomatic model is correct, even though it has always, ALWAYS, been argued that it must be one of the main predictors, essentially the scary event that causes all the panic. I mean seriously this was argued ad nauseam and here they just do a full 180 spin as if they never said any of this. Of course when inconvenient the opposite has also often been argued but always going back and forth depending on what's convenient.

This thing where "experts" are allowed to endlessly speculate and bullshit, oftentimes completely reversing their position on some fundamental aspects without ever changing any of the consequences they have endlessly argued about, is really not working out and really needs to stop. None of this is normal. In any other field of expertise such people would rightfully considered to be cranks without any credibility.

NONE of this is normal. This is the exact opposite of what expertise is supposed to be about.

Shinygleamy, alktipping, Sean and 4 others like this.
  6. rvallee

It's weird reading this and reconciling with some people trying to distance ME from LC by saying shortness of breath isn't a symptom of ME. Even more weird reconciling the fact that the very same people dismissing the hyperventilation here have always argued that the only symptom of ME is fatigue.

Almost like they're completely full of it. Almost.

7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there any proof of this, or is this just speculation based on coincidence?

alktipping and Barry like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In my experience these sort of folk operate on the principle of plausible deniability, and operating well below the radar. It is their modus operandi. Given what we know of their history, the likelihood of them not "reaching out" as it suits them seem pretty implausible to me. But I grant you, that is hardly evidence.

9. Mike Dean

Mike Dean Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just an educated guess - based on known associations between the Guardian, SMC, SW & Goldacre. But this really does belong in the "Who is SW?" thread.
    Macavity, Macavity, there’s no one like Macavity,
    There never was a Cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
    He always has an alibi, and one or two to spare:
    At whatever time the deed took place—MACAVITY WASN’T THERE!

MEMarge, Mithriel, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  10. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

During the epidemics people who were active were more likely to get ME, for instance in a convent that was also a teacher training college, the pupils got ME, the nuns did not. In polio activity was associated with symptoms too.

It is possible that people with mild disease get LC because they stay active, not saying it is true but it is a possible explanation that does not involve anything psychosomatic.

Some of what they are saying sounds like a moral judgement. Heroes get really sick but losers who are looking for attention exaggerate their symptoms and feel sorry for themselves.

11. Mike Dean

@Mithriel The 1918 flu epidemic hit healthy adults (age 20-40) really badly. Nobody knows why.

alktipping, MEMarge and Mithriel like this.
  12. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here is one explanation:

Amw66, Mike Dean and MEMarge like this.
  13. Mike Dean

Thanks for the link. Shows how long it is since I looked at the Spanish pandemic, as I hadn't come across this one. It's plausible, and better focused on young adults than the usual suspects such as malnutrition.

Amw66 and Mij like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

IAPT Post-COVID Syndrome Training Webinars
    https://cptraininghub.nhs.uk/event/iapt-post-covid-syndrome-training-webinars/

Simbindi and Sly Saint like this.
  15. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

...they’ll bring a range of physical health experts into each session as well as lived experience from people recovering from COVID.

What could go wrong with that? I would have thought that those who recovered are not actually a model for those who don't. Useful for a research compare and contrast, but not as clinical model for all COVID patients to follow.

16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Let's hope this finally kills of the IAPT for MUS disaster. I can't imagine someone like Prof Garner and some of the other doctors with long Covid taking kindly to being put through generic MUS IAPT.

Cheshire, Simbindi, Michelle and 12 others like this.
  17. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"
    Using low intensity interventions to help people recover after COVID
    Tuesday 12 January 2021, 1pm – 3pm"

rvallee likes this.
  18. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As psychoeducational programmes have such an impressive impact on other post-viral conditions they assume it will work with post-covid?!

lycaena, Michelle, JemPD and 3 others like this.
  19. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Joan Crawford @PhysiosforME

Amw66 and NelliePledge like this.
  20. rvallee

Yup. It looks every bit as bad as it sounds. The whole IAPT-LTC program is a complete disaster and of course they want to expand it because the hammer does not distinguish between nails and other objects but once flattened out everything can look like a flattened nail if you want to.

Arnie Pye, Simbindi, Michelle and 4 others like this.