BPS attempts at psychologizing Long Covid

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by rvallee, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Three Chord Monty

Three Chord Monty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Program will run clinical trial aimed at helping COVID-19 long haulers
    (Ashok Gupta's NLP "Gupta Program")

This is a story from a local news station on the Fox network in Sacramento, California. Mentions a retired professor at Cal-Davis they'd interviewed as she was struggling with Long Covid, but no apparent connection to Gupta. No mention of any details about this 'clinical trial.' Nothing on the Gupta website about this, either, which is strange.

Of course, not so strange that he'd be angling for Long Covid customers. He struck me as a classier version of Phil Parker, if that makes any sense. Charming fellow. If you don't care that he's...comparable to Phil Parker.

https://fox40.com/news/local-news/p...trial-aimed-at-helping-covid-19-long-haulers/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2021
    MEMarge, Missense, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Ha ha, yes, I think the comparison of Gupta's treatment with LP is accurate, right down to standing on circles gesturing and saying stop to negative thoughts. I got talked into spending £99 on his DVD course years ago. I agree he uses his charm to talk clients into going along with his nonsense. Of course it didn't make any difference to my ME.
    Sorry to see he's cashing in on long Covid too.

MEMarge, Helene, Shinygleamy and 8 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I only got the 'free sample' DVD. Far from charming I found him very irritating.

MEMarge, Helene, Missense and 6 others like this.
  4. Three Chord Monty

Three Chord Monty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, when I say 'charming' I refer to the disarming pleasantness one might expect from an accomplished con man. Phil Parker lacks that charm & comes off to me more like the used-car salesman version of 'wellness.'

5. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2021
  6. zzz

zzz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It gets worse.
    Bolding mine.

This could easily have been written 30 years ago. I have not heard of this site before, but it appears to be driven by a conservative ideology, and such ideologies by their very nature are not very open to changes in views - thus the outdated description of "CFS".

7. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Remind me to stay off the Twitter......

8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These people have no interest in actually listening to the experience of people, they're just interested in pushing their politically motivated worldview.

They're threatened by LongCovid because it suggests their policy of just letting young people get infected (because they'll get over it no problems) was a failure.

9. 5vforest

5vforest Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Obviously the line between “stuff we should pay attention to, in order to refute” and “drivel that is not even worth our time” is not always clear. But I think this is firmly in the latter category. Cultural conservatism is a scourge and I think this article was written for attention and clicks, not for actually contributing anything or changing minds. (As opposed to say, the Levine piece where he actually holds stock in his weird twisted worldview.)

10. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow. It must be terrible for the author to be a victim of victim culture while having to put up with real victims denying that he is the actual victim. Talk about projection...:rolleyes:

11. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another opionion piece commenting on this, the "cultural illnesses" concept in particular:

”Begreppet slår på den som redan ligger”
    https://www.svd.se/begreppet-kultursjukdom-slar-pa-den-som-redan-ligger

Google Translate, English

Invisible Woman, Kalliope and Sean like this.
  12. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Responding to article in post 665

The article was awful long before it started talking about covid or chronic fatigue.

13. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Psychiatrist Would Abandon Research on Long COVID and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Pretty good article by Llewellyn King, mostly about the recent awful opinion piece written by Jeremy Devine in the Wall Street Journal. He briefly mentions Wessely and Michael Sharpe and the latter's connections with the insurance industry.

"These theories of “It’s all in your head” have been renounced and found wanting by a myriad of experts and millions of patients around the world. Even the prestigious Institute of Medicine in the United States has come through on the patients’ side.

But psychiatry just doesn’t give up."​

Full article: https://insidesources.com/psychiatr...h-on-long-covid-and-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  14. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Responding to article in post 665

It's more about gender ideology than about long covid.

The author is not very bright for thinking of long covid as an ideology.

This is being quoted out of context. What was meant including suspected long covid patients in research even if they do not have a positive covid test.

15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah well it's Quillette, trash publication.

16. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Opinion piece by a journalist in the Norwegian financial newspaper Dagens Næringsliv titled: "Will Long-covid become the next fashion diagnosis? The fuzz can be making more people sick, experts claim"

It's paywalled, but here's a google translated quote:

A heated debate is taking place in the Journal of the Swedish Medical Association. The network «From doctor to doctor», consists of doctors who themselves have been covid-sick and experienced after-effects. They share all the information available about long-covid, and work to define the diagnosis. A separate clinic has also been established where long-term patients are referred.

Critics, including doctors, believe this contributes to the over-awareness that promotes the disease. They also believe that the doctor network, which is also a patient network, places too little emphasis on so-called biopsychosocial factors, ie how the psyche, the social and the biological interact. This in turn makes the network feel "psychologised" by its colleagues. They do not take that as a compliment.

And here we are right at the heart of similar debates around, for example, ME. Anyone who points to factors other than purely biological is perceived as trivializing the symptoms. But neither placebo nor nocebo is "imagination". A prank pill can do something about the actual, physical signals in the brain that cause pain. And vice versa: A physical condition is affected by whether we expect it to occur. Everything is connected to everything. But what is the right treatment and medicine, may depend on the cause of the symptoms.

Interestingly, the psychosocial effects of placebo and nocebo are highly dependent on the patient's relationship with the therapist. It is therefore important how healthcare professionals look for or do not look for symptoms that may fit into a diagnosis. The Norwegian doctor Henrik Vogt believes that the medical profession itself is part of the problem, and that medical information and doctors' attitudes can contribute to making the long-term effects chronic.

Sean, alktipping, Wyva and 6 others like this.
  17. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

which opens up a can of worms - where it is only a possibility that the correct treatment depends on what is actually wrong, implying that in 'some' cases what is actually wrong will have nothing to do with the 'correct' treatment.

Which means I have misunderstood what the aim of 'treatment' actually is, according to the medical system. It would seem it is not, as I have previously accepted, to treat the patients medical problems in a way that resolves them.

18. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder who is running the Edinburgh Long Covid clinic? Doesn't look like good people tagged in here:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1382693785147179019

If they're able to get away with portraying criticis of BPS approaches like this, it makes them easy to dismiss.

Shinygleamy, Sean, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  19. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[I'm assuming a prank pill is another name for a placebo.]

This kind of comment always startles me. If someone had pancreatitis (for example), the condition would be invisible, excruciatingly painful, and potentially fatal if left undiagnosed and untreated. I've never had pancreatitis, but I suspect if I developed the condition and went to my GP or my local hospital for help I would be assumed to be lying, or drug-seeking, or depressed or anxious. This is why I hate the BPS approach to anything. It doesn't actually treat anything, and increases the risk of death, and/or long-term complications, and/or chronic pain from non-diagnosis of a real physical problem. To me, BPS treatment comes across as being equivalent to torture.

rainy, Sean, Mithriel and 8 others like this.
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Accidentally correct.

rainy, MEMarge, Amw66 and 12 others like this.