1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

CBT for CFS Therapist Manual PAEDIATRIC CFS TEAM, ROYAL UNITED HOSPITAL, BATH, UK Loades, M.E. & Starbuck, J. | 2020

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have come across this before in BPS literature and it sounds very close to the delay we often get before PEM cuts in. Because I know what we mean it puzzled me.

I've just realised that unaccustomed exercise is worse 1 or 2 days later. Think digging over the garden on Sunday not able to move Monday. Of course, I never thought PEM was related to that sort of muscle damage. It is a normal response to exercise whereas we have an abnormal response.

Maybe we should emphasise that small movements can bring on PEM even when we can manage a one off large movement. Saying that we get it from minimal exercise will just convince them we are very deconditioned.

2. Kirsten

Kirsten Established Member (Voting Rights)

Here's my annotated version of what @DigitalDrifter posted... it's not perfect, there will be spelling errors, but it is 2am in the morning where I am and i'm unable to sleep so... nonsense.jpg

3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've seen people talking about doing this in the past. I have a few questions about it.

1) How do people archive links, documents, and images in the internet archive?

2) Don't the owners of the material object to their stuff being archived by complete strangers unconnected to the original material?

3) How do people prevent their own stuff being archived by complete strangers?

4) Can stuff in the archive be deleted by the original owner or the person who archived it?

shak8 likes this.
  4. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

web.archive.org has a 'save page' function.

Technically, you can write to them to have them take down your own copyrighted material. They also scan books for their free 'library', which is definitely breach of copyright, and I've written to them before to remove titles I hold the rights to (they did).

For the books, it's bang out of order. For websites, I think only a few people will care enough to get things taken down. Personally, I wouldn't bother, as it allows you to save websites and pages you don't want to keep or don't want to keep paying for.

ETA: I should add that normal libraries pay a licence every year, so authors get about £0.20 every time their book is borrowed from a library or photocopied. Internet Archive doesn't do that.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  5. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

upload_2020-9-6_11-7-10.png

There's something very authoritative about a pentagon.

6. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m curious, why would the red arrows I’ve added, be omitted from the original?

74C0784F-61CD-4FF3-8D60-57F156DBD35C.jpeg

Edit to add: Not that I think it makes the diagram any better, only that I thought the premise was that everything was connected, so why omit 2 connections?

7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you've tried putting a home made Covid mask on round your glasses, baseball cap and hearing aids you will know why those ones were omitted!

8. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting diagram. I know a little bit about how people might read visual shapes and composition (art training). It's interesting that 'Thoughts' and 'Feelings' occupy larger 'weightier' boxes at the bottom of the diagram, and 'Fatigue' is at the apex, and how the eye might be led around the image. It's just more natural to be impacted visually by those parts of the diagram, especially those bottom two boxes. I'm not suggesting that's intentional at all, though I find it ironic in a CBT manual.

9. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for tagging us.

Grrrh is all I can say!

Will add it to the agenda for our meeting next week to work out how to respond as although it's not pure physio it does have information about activity management which is concerning

10. Arnie Pye

I was thinking it was more like a pentagram.

Invisible Woman, Simbindi and chrisb like this.
  11. TiredSam

Invisible Woman, shak8 and Arnie Pye like this.
  12. Arnie Pye

Yes, I know what a pentagram is and its associations with witchcraft. I was making a sort-of joke which obviously failed miserably. ;) :bag: :whistle: :D

13. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To me archiving isn't new, that's what a library is all about. So internet archive is just another way of capturing information for preservation for posterity. As more and more information is only online rather than in print, thoughts, opinions, POV, analysis are all in danger of being lost. I recognise that IA is not a total solution to anything but I do think it serves a useful purpose.

This post should in no way be construed as an answer in full. There is plenty to say on the subject and gray areas that may be an issue. Like so much that is new it is not all sorted.

Edit: fix typo

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Mithriel, MEMarge and Arnie Pye like this.
  14. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

No it didn’t fail - just certain people didn’t get it ;)

15. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I got it ... once @Arnie Pye explained it :p. Very good once I got it :D.

16. TiredSam

I was too busy being a smartypants to notice the joke. There's probably a life lesson in there somewhere.

17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep, he who laughs last laughs longest - looks like @Barry in this case.

18. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't wear your smartypants over your tights?

19. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone know what study they are referring to?

Esther12 likes this.
  20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like some Crawley or Chalder nonsense where they were looking at the symptom chronic fatigue, not CFS.

Simbindi, EzzieD, Arnie Pye and 2 others like this.