Cochrane ME/CFS GET review temporarily withdrawn

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Trish, Oct 17, 2018.

1. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow - just Wow!!!

MeSci, MSEsperanza, MEMarge and 12 others like this.
  3. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who is Andy Dearden?

MSEsperanza, ladycatlover and inox like this.
  5. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know, just came about him in some twitter-thread about the review withdraw. He seemes to be informed about ME? @NelliePledge made this observation earlier in this thread :)

Woolie, MeSci, RuthT and 5 others like this.
  6. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Woolie, MSEsperanza, Inara and 6 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it's pretty obvious they did this to preempt the withdrawal, bullying Tovey into not taking a step that will be hard to reverse.

They're that predictable. The potential for bad attention is worth it when they control the message and can have false allegations of misconduct published as fact on a major newswire service.

But on the long run, this will hurt them badly. There is no explanation that can be given to flat out lying about the actions of one of the sickest patient populations being unhinged militant activists. It's completely absurd on its face and hindsight will make it look extremely damning, especially given their history of making up those claims and having to admit in court that they had no substance (heckling is not bullying, their claims are of outright bullying).

They are edging ahead on this battle but it will blow up in their face. It will show bad faith and indifference to our plight, which will look particularly bad when juxtaposed with years and years of petitions and direct testimony of harm from their work.

Woolie, Barry, Snowdrop and 11 others like this.
  9. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see Cort Johnson has blogged about this too: https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...cbt-get-proponents-emboldens-me-cfs-advocates

However, I really don't think it is helpful to counter misinformation with more misinformation. For example:

Cort_Cochrane_19oct18.png

The first quote is about the comparison between GET and CBT - so of course there is no difference.
    The second quote is about the comparison between GET and passive control. But none of that is made clear in the text.

Just saying.

[ETA: This has now been corrected.]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    sea, Woolie, MSEsperanza and 13 others like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Unfortunately it's not uncommon for articles, or at least part of them, from Cort to be inaccurate, at least in my experience.

mango, TrixieStix, Barry and 4 others like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it possible to alert Cort Johnson to his error because this does help the advocacy case.

MeSci, mango, TrixieStix and 4 others like this.
  12. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's possible to alert him by leaving a comment on his blog post - he usually fixes errors that people point out there and acknowledges that he's done so.

sea, Woolie, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  13. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, I'd never imagined it being modelled in that way. My very unscientific way of imagining things, is more as hierarchical layers, with the unconscious being a sort of "foundation" layer on which the conscious sits. A pet theory (even less scientific) of mine is that problems arise when the two fail to interact as well as they should. It feels to me that art, music, poetry, maybe sport, etc. are things which help people's conscious and unconscious to better interact with each other.

rvallee and andypants like this.
  14. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Prove it then and release the rest of the PACE data.

Trish, rvallee, andypants and 9 others like this.
  15. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tried to leave a comment - but maybe it didn't get through, or something.

[ETA: It has now appeared and the article corrected]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Trish, MeSci, MSEsperanza and 5 others like this.
  16. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is up in the comments section:

[​IMG]
    Lucibee on October 22, 2018 at 8:51 am

There is an error in your report – the quote about “little or no difference” from the main results section is about the comparison of GET vs CBT, and not about GET vs control, which the quote from the conclusions is about.

[​IMG]
    Cort Johnson on October 22, 2018 at 9:48 am
    Thanks! I removed that part of the blog. That was a big boo-boo and thanks for pointing it out. It was a long, long results section and I didn’t read it carefully enough.

Woolie, MeSci, Indigophoton and 16 others like this.
  17. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On a lot of blogs, comments get held in moderation, especially if you haven't posted before. Looks like it's through now. :thumbup:

Trish, MSEsperanza, andypants and 2 others like this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, it is no less scientific than the way these neo-Freudians imagine it I am sure and probably nearer reality. The trouble is either way you cannot write down any equations that even predict vague probabilities about what will happen under specific circumstances. You cannot built testable scientific theories unless you have a handle on mechanism in some quantitative way.

ukxmrv, EzzieD, andypants and 5 others like this.
  19. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One thing is clear: the PACE people are digging an ever deeper hole for themselves by continuing to misrepresent reality.

It is very hard to avoid seeing them as malicious once you know how they have behaved.

Woolie, rvallee, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  20. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Retirement may be the get out. This is Britain, as @dave30th has found out, things are done differently. When there has been a cock up , a huge degree of face saving is involved.

Invisible Woman, Sid, MeSci and 7 others like this.