Cochrane ME/CFS GET review temporarily withdrawn

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Trish, Oct 17, 2018.

1. benji

benji Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An excellent piece written by Sigmund Olafsen. What is interesting now, is if someone replies. Some years ago, this would probably trigger some articles about how misguided the patients are, not knowing their best interest. My guess now is that eventually Henrik Vogt will respond in that way. But I’m not sure. I think Nina Steinkopfs petition has left him more powerless than before, and maybe he will see that an answer may blow back in his face. Maybe, or maybe not.

2. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ans so far only positive comments. Usually there will be at least one doctor in the comments going on about how there's a lot of proof that ME is psychological or just lazy people or whatever, but I guess this is a lot harder to attack from that angle. Hopefully!

Woolie, MeSci, MSEsperanza and 9 others like this.
  3. benji

benji Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is quite positive, I agree.
    That said, the comment field at Dagens Medisin is not reliable. Anyone can post anything, make up a fake email address. This have been exploited, and can result in fun read sometimes. When “KS”answer “SK”, when “doctor nr 100” answer “doctor nr 10” and when Marit is answered by Mareritt (nightmare). This has been particularly obvious when the theme is ME. Some of the doctors I believe are real doctors, but certainly not all.

MeSci, MSEsperanza, Atle and 5 others like this.
  4. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not really worried about Vogt in this, he doesn't have that much impact. I suspect many healthcare workers don't take him very serioulsy.

What I do wonder, is the respons from Larun et. al, or the competance service. Surely they must feel the need to defend themselfs? This is a hard hit on boths professional CV. And the national insitutions have high trust, so their angel on this have the possibility of shifting opinions.

On the other hand, medicals also have high trust in cochrane - so they will need a very convincing rationale to sway people. I do think, that whatever happens next, the exellent coverage in "Dagens medisin" will make most doctors aware that the science behind the recommended therapies for ME might be on very shaky ground.

Couldn't figure out how to add a photo, but the story about cochrane withdrawing is still front page on "Dagens medisin" - and the most read article :thumbup: Even for people not bothering to read the story, the preview on the front page includes enough information - headline "removing cochrane recommendations":

And regarding the ongoing petition against the competance service - leeking this to the press (and the support letter from scientists) couldn't have better timing! :thumbup:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Woolie, MeSci, MEMarge and 11 others like this.
  5. inox

@Brian Hughes - thank you for engaging in this! :)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1055036365275045888

6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting that nothing more has emerged - as far as I know - from Cochrane or the press outside Scandinavia. The review is still not actually withdrawn is it?

MeSci, MEMarge, Webdog and 11 others like this.
  7. inox

Still not withdrawn - it's become part of my morning routine, the first thing to check :rofl:

I'm sure they are in discussions now - as they should have been many, many months ago...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Woolie, MeSci, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

They can discuss all they like but where are they actually going to find any answers to the issues raised. They don’t have any. The only solution is to start again and do a proper review.

Woolie, Webdog, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  9. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Preferably with different authors.

Woolie, Brian Hughes, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  10. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Woolie, Inara, MeSci and 7 others like this.
  11. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was temporarily withdrawn - you shouldn't have blinked ;)

12. Barry

I really hope that's a joke :eek: :D

13. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's not been withdrawn yet. Still waiting for an official statement from Cochrane about what's going on.

Inara, rvallee, Brian Hughes and 11 others like this.
  14. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes - just pulling your leg :D

15. inox

That's the great irony in all of this - it haven't actually been withdrawn yet. The e-mail that enden up in Reuters was a request to the reviewers, for them to agree.

Going public blaming patients for pressuring, they probably hoped to get Cochrane to back down and leave the review up? But alast, they ended up with it beeing reported and understood as already withdrawn - even if it hasn't happened yet.

So we can't really be _absolutely_ sure yet, even if I can't see any other outcome likely?

Woolie, rvallee, Binkie4 and 6 others like this.
  16. inox

And since it hasn't happened yet - I guess we're not likely to get a statement or article from Larun et al either, before the decision, whatever it is, is final?

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Barry and 3 others like this.
  17. Barry

And if the reviewers don't agree to its withdrawal (not before hell freezes over I imagine), then what? Do we know what the actual process is? Or is that a big Cochrane secret?

Inara, rvallee, andypants and 3 others like this.
  18. inox

Not in detail, I guess, but there is information from cochrane linked earlier in the thread. As I remember, there is an option for the editors to override and make the decision - but that the norm is to try and make an agreement. There seemes to be focus on the autonomy of cochrane centers/groups, with central desicion making ment to be the final straw if everything else fails.

This is my understanding at least. :)

Woolie, MEMarge, Andy and 4 others like this.
  19. inox

Woolie, rvallee, Andy and 9 others like this.
  20. inox

Graham, Woolie, rvallee and 8 others like this.