Covid-19 vaccination experiences

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Wits_End, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, he says that he feels fine and has had no other effects at all. It could just be a coincidence that this happened the day after his 2nd jab.

2. Arnie Pye

Apart from his temporary confusion (which I didn't witness because I was asleep myself) when waking up yesterday, he has been his totally normal self, and there wasn't a recurrence today. He's able to do his favourite hobby (painting), hold conversations, read, help with the cooking and go for a walk.

Having read the healthline link, the description suggests a problem that is far more serious than what happened to my husband yesterday - his issue was very short-lived and I wouldn't have mentioned it under normal circumstances. It was only of note because of the possible vaccine connection and the fact this was the first time it had ever happened to him. I'm just wondering if he got disturbed in his sleep by something and it woke him up at a different point in his sleep cycle than is usual for him. But we'll never know.

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes but not just on waking up, it's happening to me more these days. I've seen people call that jamais vu and it fits pretty well. It especially happens if I'm doing something that requires multiple steps, sometimes I finish one step and am completely puzzled as to what I'm doing, even if the steps are just cooking a simple breakfast. It takes a few seconds to work it back but it's a few seconds of total confusion that really don't feel good.

It seems kinda rare but I've seen some reports of this in ME patients or brain fog in general.

4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Like @Trish this happens to me occasionally when I go into a deep sleep in the afternoon. One time I answered my tv remote thinking it was my phone, and couldn't figure out how it worked.

I wouldn't describe it as brain fog though.

5. Arnie Pye

This sounds very like part of my own experience of what I call "brain fog", although I am aware that brain fog is not necessarily the same condition in everyone. This afternoon, for example, I had received an Amazon parcel. My usual practice is to cut out my name and address from the cardboard packaging, recycle the rest of the cardboard, and shred my name and address. I walked across the kitchen (which is not big), and by the time I had crossed the floor I had forgotten what I was doing. I had to turn around to look at where I'd come from to remind myself I was getting the scissors. This is something that frustrates me a lot. Life is just so much less "smooth" than it used to be because my short-term memory is so erratic.

6. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just an update on my vaccine experience - I posted here a while ago not sure if I should get it or not. I send the ME Ass letter to my GP. Had a text from him the next day saying he'd added me to group 6. Another text two days later telling me I could book my vaccine. I had Astra Zenica. The jab was in the morning, the rest of the day I was fine then in the evening I starting feeling chilled and got a bad headache. Woke up in the night with terrible headache and nausea, felt pretty awful, like a bad flu. By the morning though the worst had passed. I was tired that day but by the next day pretty much back to normal (ME normal). That was about a month ago I think. I was pleasantly surprised as I was fully expecting a week or two of side effects. Nice to be pleasantly surprised by symptoms for once!

7. rvallee

Eh, yeah pretty much. Happened to me last night and I had to laugh at the fact that I need to put myself reminders for things I need to do in 5 seconds just because I have to do another thing before, even if that thing also takes about 5 seconds.

Ugh.

8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So the thought to make a reminder, to remind you do do something, doesn't make you forget what it was you wanted to be reminded of?

Coz it does me.

9. rvallee

60% of the time, it works every time. Give or take.

10. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

this. :laugh:
    :rofl:

11. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Day 7: Side-effects seem gone. ME was noticeably worse for duration, mainly days 4-6, but have had a big improvement overnight on those symptoms (mostly back to my 'normal').

Hopefully that's the worst of it over, and the second jab will be less fuss. :emoji_fingers_crossed:

12. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So I’m wondering what went wrong in my case.
    Eight weeks past the second shot and I’m not only not back to prior, I’ve been going downhill instead of up. Perhaps it knocked me off of a metaphorical health tight rope which I could not see but was in fact suspended on.

13. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Going for my 2nd Pfizer today. Hoping the “slightly more energy” thing might happen again. :emoji_fingers_crossed::emoji_fingers_crossed:
    Will report back in a day or three.

14. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That’s really rough.
    It’s such a risk we take when our health is so vulnerable to change.
    Hoping things swing up again for you soon. xx

15. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry to hear this Sisyphus, and from others in the forum who’ve had bad post-jab reactions. I started feeling more or less back to baseline after 7 or 8 weeks, except still have increased heart palpitations, that started a few hours after getting the vaccine, and still haven’t resolved. So I have an increased awareness of my resting heart rate, and it feels faster, not racing but maybe a few bpm faster, and I’ve also had more frequent irregular and skipped heartbeats. My muscles also felt ‘strange and different’ as another poster commented, not more painful, perhaps less so, but, maybe less sensation or subjectively ‘felt’ weaker, but not actually any change in muscle strength.

I got the AZ jab, how about you? My next one is booked for Friday, I’m not quite sure if the palpitations is something worth mentioning to my doctor or not - probably all tests would be normal, or sufficient reason to skip the second jab, I expect I’ll just go ahead as planned. Usually second AZ jab is better tolerated. Initial data from ‘mix and match’ study showed increased incidence of (minor) side effects associated with immune activation where a different first and second vaccine were used, in healthy volunteers aged over 50 years old.

AliceLily, merylg, Sisyphus and 12 others like this.
  16. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just did a search, and @Sisyphus had Pfizer (1st time anyway).

17. Fizzlou

Fizzlou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As I have followed this thread I have not noticed many 'improvement' cases following the vaccine. The Healthrising poll suggests 23%, 184 improvers with ME/CFS/FM as of today. At 23% I would have expected to hear more reports of improvements.
    I have had both Pfizer shots now (second about 3 weeks ago). Two weeks after first I had a noticeable improvement, less improvement after the second. I estimate (according to MEA ratings) in January I was 55% and now 30%. Over the past 10 years I have followed a fluctuating trend and I usually get a bit of a boost in spring/summer but never this much.

18. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wearing rubber bands on my wrist to remind that I have something in the oven only reminds me that I need a haircut. Still burning my walnuts. Go figure

AliceLily, merylg, Sean and 9 others like this.
  19. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've rescheduled for the week after next, feeling too unwell with viral symptoms and headache this week. It's easy enough to do that on the accurx booking link in the text I got, but I think you need to give >24 hours notice so I had to decide today. Hopefully better luck with the new appointment date.

20. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had my 2nd AZ jab yesterday.

Had zero side effects after the first which really surprised me. Yesterday about 10 minutes after the jab the top of my arm felt a little sore but the soreness disappeared within about 30 minutes.

I was more headachy than usual yesterday evening but I was upright a lot longer than I had intended and it could just as easily have been the cause.

I am pretty wiped out at the moment but it's been a very busy and rather stressful few weeks. Work being done in my house though the guys are really considerate & understanding but there's still a lot if moving stuff around and hunting for stuff that's been displaced.

Plus my beloved dog has been ill and needed an emergency trip to the vets at 3am last week. Lots of disruption to the routines that keep my life easier.

So, in all honesty, I can't say I'm noticing any significant side effect that isn't more likely to be caused by something else.