Covid-19 vaccination experiences

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Wits_End, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My GP surgery has told me that they will be giving boosters to the immunocompromised ( ie a fourth v) in January and they expect me to be called then.
    I will need to go to a hospital vaccination centre.

I was vaccinated again 5 days ago, this time flu. I was very nervous after all the shenanigans with vaccines this year but bravely presented myself. Wonderful- I walked out feeling normal. Two days later I noticed I was feeling very lethargic. I'm coming through it now so can live with that.

Mij, ukxmrv, MeSci and 7 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interestingly, after my Moderna booster I had a very bad couple of days with lots of aches and pains and some lung issues, which resolved fairly quickly. However I have slept a lot more than usual in the following two weeks, which has mostly been a positive as I have largely been sleeping through the night, having much less disrupted sleep patterns. However my body does seem to think that night is currently from about 6pm to 2 or 3am, with a siesta required between 9am and midday.

3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here in BC they are still saying six to eight months after the second vaccine for the booster. For the time being they are following the science rather than what other provinces and countries are doing.

hibiscuswahine, Binkie4, Mij and 5 others like this.
  4. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had heard that it is better to wait for six months for a better response.

But if we get a community outbreak of Omicron I think I will be wishing I had the booster, so I most likely will have it in Jan. I should be following/reading the booster science more than I am at the moment.

5. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did the others also have boosters? Just wondering whether the booster environment may have been infectious.

6. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don’t think all the others were from New York, so unlikely that they would all have had a booster on the same day or the same place as my niece. Where there is high levels of the virus, even if people take lateral flow tests, there is going to be a number of people getting the booster who coincidently are recently infected with the virus.

Though my experience was that getting the booster here in the UK in a centre that was also taking drop ins, in really bad weather, was potentially risky: I ended up spending some five to ten minutes in a crowded hallway as they got people to fill in a form and check who had an appointment and who was a drop in, then the hall where the vaccinations took place, though large enough for social distancing, was not continuously ventilated and there some fifty or sixty people present at any one time. I am lucky that I have the luxury of being able to separate any potentially risky activities such as visiting a vaccination centre or going into a shop by at least a week, though ideally by a fortnight.

7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Our government (in Ontario) has reduced the booster to 3 months. Home visits are on a one month wait list.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  8. Mij

Here in Canada, immunocompromised patients are receiving higher dose 3rd jabs.

9. Mij

Staff shortages are so severe that Québec considers asking hospital workers with Covid to stay on the job if they have no symptoms.

Waiting time for vaccines are longer b/c of staff shortages. I think I'll let my 3rd jab slide even if I'm on a one month wait list.

10. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was negative, thankfully, so I made it to my family to rest off my remaining PEM from the jab.

Amw66, merylg, Mij and 13 others like this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Got my booster Mon pm, didn't really feel anything out of the ordinary until 24 hours later when fatigue really ramped up and I then slept for the best part of 12 hours. Bit more tired than normal on Wednesday and then so far back to the regular assortment of symptoms today.

merylg, MeSci, Wyva and 13 others like this.
  12. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

my memory/news tracking is not working well here for how bad and what type the reactions are in sick/pwme after time.

i am also confused about the observation above and the comparison to normals. sounds significant.

in the polls i have seen [cort, anzymes], istr pwme show high proportion of long term [bad?] reactions.

[high compared to normals, whose rate seems highly acceptably low in context of other drugs and the risk of the virus. like 1 in 100k or something like that. has this changed? or are normals still at tiny proportion?]

[of course, if you are victim, it doesn't matter that it was a small proportion. i hope those who are the victim can be healed quickly and no new victims created. merely saying if i were normal, getting v'd would seem like a good choice.]

so ... some dumb questions [dumb because i should possibly know some of answers but my brain is not keeping track].

- are these spike reactions still at those really low 1/100k type of rates in normals? i.e. are you saying above they are qualitatively similar to the pwme reactions? or something similar? is adverse reaction and media reporting accurate?

- has the rate in pwme of bad long term reactions narrowed to a known-ish number range [even if anecdotal/polling]?

- is it known / still known if m.e. severity and massive multisystemness and weird things like extremey rare angioedema type etc. and mcas continuing mold exposures etc. is relevant to bad long term reactions in pwme. [my doctor said it would be tempting fate to get the vaccine given all my health issues but then mused that i could get the virus, so i don't think he really knows.]

- are there any studies on pwme [klimas], other diseases, dose/admin [inhaler, oral] etc. recently or soon?

i'd be ok if i had pins and needles for a long time, but i am bedridden and edge of survival wrt worse reactions. migraine etc. would be intolerable as i have hyperalgesia, no painkillers seem to work in practice. getting to bathroom.

so i guess what i am trying to narrow on is the bad long term reactions, at least for bedridden highly multisystem etc.

p.s.

incidentally, per doctor, i have been keeping bad tooth abscess down with high antibiotics hoping delta would go down. it did not. now omicron came. i will need to go to dentist unvaccinated soon. no mask.

[unless by some unlikely miracle i can get vaccinated to some level of effectiveness first.]

i hope this post is coherent. i know there are few answers anywhere, so we look for what scraps exist. brain issues.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
  13. TheBassist

TheBassist Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve had a cold for over three weeks, sofa/bedbound for all that time. Atm it’s getting worse, not better, fatigue bad, and I have booster booked this evening. I think I don’t dare take it

AliceLily, merylg, Lilas and 4 others like this.
  14. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have you been tested for covid just in case it isn't a cold that you have? A lot of people are mistaking the omicron symptoms for a cold.

15. TheBassist

Yes, negative.

MeSci, Trish, TigerLilea and 2 others like this.
  16. TheBassist

Update, I had it. The Pfizer as it turned out. Let’s see then

AliceLily, MeSci, TigerLilea and 5 others like this.
  17. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good luck, then. Let us know how it goes.

18. TheBassist

So far, at 4 hours later, not looking good. No sensation in lips or tongue, arm joint pain, sinus headache

19. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had numbness in face on one side only several hours post first Pfizer jab. Then squiggly retinal discharges---eye doc says it was a migraine (my first ever). Went away and 2nd and boosters no big deal except for out of it fatigue and sore arm. Hope you do well.

20. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Trewhitt likes this.