Covid-19 vaccination experiences

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Wits_End, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My husband was really furious today. He'd been through all the rules about when boosters can be given, worked out the exact date that he thought he was eligible, changed his plans for today to fit it in - only to be told he'd got the date wrong and he was too early and can't have his booster until next month.

Ariel, Binkie4, MeSci and 9 others like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Noooo! What a pain in the bum. I had to wait six months and a week, but since they reduced it to three months, quite a few of my younger friends have managed to get topped up just in time for Christmas. Shame your husband couldn't get done, but hopefully you'll both manage to dodge the lurgy anyway.

boolybooly, Ariel, Binkie4 and 10 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Is that because of having to wait at least a month after catching covid?

AliceLily, Binkie4, Ravn and 3 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

It has already been more than a month since he had his last positive Covid test, and he's registered nearly every test he's had done with test and trace, positive or negative, whether they were lateral flow and done at home or PCR and sent away.

AliceLily, Binkie4, Ravn and 4 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

How frustrating. Did they explain why he has to wait longer?

6. Arnie Pye

They probably did but I got the impression when he came home that it hadn't convinced him. He was still annoyed about it this evening!

7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Isn't there a three month waiting period for a vaccine when you've tested positive for covid?

Binkie4, Ravn, AliceLily and 2 others like this.
  8. Arnie Pye

I don't think so. I think in the UK (for boosters) it is just a month.

Ravn, Binkie4, hibiscuswahine and 2 others like this.
  9. Florence

Florence Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My kind neighbour got wind of the fact I was having trouble getting my booster at home and offered to drive me to a local health centre where it was possible to book an appointment in advance. When we got there it was efficiently run and there was no waiting (even though I was fifteen minutes early). The whole process from going into the door to coming out again took five minutes.

Had Pfizer. Side effects have been greater than for first two jabs (both AZ), but still not bad. There has been no brief 'energy bounce' as there was with AZ number one. Felt a fresh wave of exhaustion come over me an hour after the jab. This lasted two days. Needed to sleep a lot (more than usual). Also intermittent queasiness, fever, chills and a 'new kind' of light headedness on standing. Symptoms seemed to be alleviated by taking rehydration salts which I mix myself (St Marks solution recipe available online).

Sarah94, Ariel, Ravn and 11 others like this.
  10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

that's my concern at the moment.
    the nearest place to book online is way too far for me to get to but I heard from a neighbour that they were doing boosters where I had my initial 2 vaccinations done. This would mean either travelling on a bus for half an hour with probably a lot of people not wearing masks and coughing, or getting a neighbour who has been regularly going out and 'visiting friends' to take me and then queing with a load of people. But as far as I know (as I haven't heard anything from my GPs surgery) there isn't any other way I can get it.

Mij, Ariel, Ravn and 6 others like this.
  11. Rain

Rain Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wondered the same and had a close one ask their Rheumatologist. The answer was a lot of new skin reactions amongst his patients post vaccine.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    hibiscuswahine, MeSci, Ravn and 4 others like this.
  12. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was that just with Pfizer, or with others, too?

Ravn and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  13. Rain

Only Pfizer/Moderna in my area. Did not ask if he had noticed any difference between the two. (I’m guessing most of his patients got Pfizer as that was the most available one around the time my area started vaccinating high risk.)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  14. TigerLilea

We are only being offered Pfizer or Moderna here, also.

15. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting. Did he say what sort of rashes? Localised skin reactions around the injection site or more generalised rashes?
    I found quite a lot of reports of local reactions - which are not unexpected with vaccines - but not many reports of more widespread rashes, and even fewer of the sort of vascular rash I got (7 weeks after the vax so may not be connected at all).

16. Rain

My question was if he had seen people getting general autoimmune activation/flare over time after the vaccines and/or any new (autoimmune) skin symptoms with that. His answer was yes in general and a lot of new skin reactions in particular.

Here is a dermatologist on Twitter raising a question regarding symptoms similar to Sweets Syndrome after vaccine.

Here an publication on the same diagnosis after Pfizer. Full text here.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  17. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've just been given Moderna booster. After first two doses having been Pfizer. Any idea what I should expect in terms of side effects?

AliceLily, Ravn, Ariel and 2 others like this.
  18. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Varies, after 2xAZ, Moderna booster caused me 48 hours of fluey symptoms.

See my previous three posts in this thread.

AliceLily, Ravn, Sarah94 and 2 others like this.
  19. TigerLilea

It's different for everyone. After my first Moderna shot I didn't get any side-effects. After shot number two I had a sore arm and it was really red around the injection site for about a week.

Binkie4, AliceLily, Ravn and 4 others like this.
  20. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"I seem to be doing okay no side effects yet"

*Lifts up my arm to take my shirt off*

"OKAY I HAVE SIDE EFFECTS"

Binkie4, AliceLily, Kitty and 10 others like this.