1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 vaccination experiences

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Wits_End, Feb 21, 2021.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I saw that plenty by simply reading patient forums. It's not that they couldn't look for this, it's that they didn't want to know, probably in part to make it easier to continue attributing it to stress, which by now has been stripped of all meaning.

Gaslighting millions of people to their faces in a profession that requires trust is just about the dumbest way to do healthcare. So many of those will dismiss the advice of physicians moving forward, and rightfully so. Once you've been lied to once, you never forget it, you always have it in the back of your mind that you can't know whether what they're telling you is true, because you know that they can and do lie openly and without hesitation.

Doctor said to take all the antibiotics, to the last pill? Maybe they're just saying that. Doctor said that strenuous exercise could be dangerous? Well, doctors say a lot of things that aren't true, so whatever. Repeat that millions of times.

Reassuring people with lies is right there with waging a war of aggression for peace. You can train people to be textbook smart. Can't train wisdom, though.

Binkie4, Ariel, Sean and 6 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Had 4th shot (2nd booster/update) today. Arm getting sore. Fridge full, painkillers standing by, etc.

Ariel, livinglighter, Lilas and 10 others like this.
  3. Sean

Feeling pretty wiped out at the moment. :ill::asleep:

Forgot to say it was a Moderna. I have now tried all three major Covid vax: AZ (x2), Pfizer, Moderna.

Ariel, livinglighter, Lilas and 10 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I hope the effect doesn't last long, Sean.

Ariel, Lilas, Sean and 7 others like this.
  5. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Novavax has been approved in the U.S. and is supposed to start being available in limited quantities in August. It's already being used in other countries. Have any of you had the Novavax vaccine?

6. Sean

Was a bit rough for a few hours after the shot, and not my best night's sleep. But not feeling any worse today, a bit better if anything, mostly a moderately sore arm and more blegh and tired than usual.

Seem to have avoided the shittier experience of Moderna that some get. So hopefully that is the worst of it done. :thumbsup:

Ariel, Binkie4, AliceLily and 10 others like this.
  7. Sean

Arm not so sore today, and definitely feeling better, almost back to normal (for me). :thumbup:

Ariel, Lilas, Wyva and 10 others like this.
  8. LarsSG

LarsSG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I got Novavax for my fourth shot a few days ago and found the side effects were minimal (slightly sore arm, maybe a little bit worsened general ME symptoms but that could have just been normal variability).

In comparison, all three of my previous Moderna shots resulted in significant flu-like side effects for 2-7 days that were fairly unpleasant. Even the third shot had me shivering in bed unable to sleep for much of the first night.

Studies seem to show that 2 x Novavax is about as effective as 2 x mRNA at preventing infection and 2 x mRNA plus Novavax gives about the same neutralization as 3 x mRNA, so Novavax is probably not worse than another mRNA shot (at least until we get Omicron specific mRNA shots in the fall). Some have suggested that a Novavax shot after mRNA might broaden the immune response as it has a slightly different bit of spike protein than the mRNA vaccines encode. Overall, seems like not a bad idea to try for a fourth shot regardless of side effects — and if side effects are a concern, I definitely recommend it!

AliceLily, Lilas, Ariel and 9 others like this.
  9. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You are now considered 'unvaccinated' if it has been 9 months after your last vaccine. This is what doctors are saying now.

Sean, AliceLily, Binkie4 and 5 others like this.
  10. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is some eight months since my third injection and I am certainly feeling at risk from the Omicron variant. I am aware of what feels like lots of people who have had the three injections, but have caught Covid in the last month or so. Four of the immediately adjacent households to me, my carer who is very cautious and a lot more people in my village have all had the virus recently. They largely have had the three injections, some more recently than me. It feels like locally the level of infection is at its highest rate since the start of the pandemic, and many people with active infection are failing to isolate.

Unfortunately here in the UK, if you are not over 65 or in the highest risk category, the next ‘booster’ will only be available in the ‘autumn’.

MeSci, Wits_End, AliceLily and 7 others like this.
  11. Mij

Same situation here in my city.

Several seniors living in long term care and retirement homes have died recently after receiving 4 vaccines.

AliceLily, Binkie4, Lilas and 4 others like this.
  12. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I got my third shot last week. 1st J&J; 2nd Moderna boost; 3rd Moderna boost. Still alive (I think). Don’t think I’ve ever had symptomatic Covid. Don’t really avoid anything except small crowded indoor restaurants.

13. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been avoiding large open spaces

This makes sense as to get to any small crowded spaces I would need to go through a large open space, called outside, so if I avoid large open spaces then my.risk is minimised.

Sean, Wits_End, AliceLily and 9 others like this.
  14. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Went for my second booster vax on Saturday (OH got it as his third a week ago, as I was such a sprightly spring chicken at 73 :rofl:at the time that I couldn't get the spring booster).

No problems at the time.

It was the Moderna bivalent vaccine.

Sunday sore arm, more like bruised than sore. But nothing much really.

Monday woke up and arm still feeling bruised. As morning progressed I felt iller than normal (IYSWIM), and reached the point when I asked OH to ring up dental practice to cancel my hygienist appt as I felt too ill to manage it.

Arm around vaccine site very red and hot.

This evening it's still red and hot, but less painful. I can reach with that arm where I couldn't without yelping with pain earlier today.

I hope these side effects will be gone or almost gone by tomorrow morning. I'd far rather have these side effects than a dose of Covid! So please don't be put off getting vaccinated by my report of my symptoms - I put them here so you can have some idea of what they feel like to me. Uncomfortable at worst.

15. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's now eight months since I had the Pfizer booster and I'm not recovering. I still have the neuropathy and extreme exhaustion. I never fully recovered from either of the first two vaccines before I would get the next one. I'm very sorry now that I ever had that last covid shot. My gut told me not to do it but my doctor felt that I should. :banghead: I have met so many people with either ME or autoimmune disorders that have had the same thing happen to them. :mad:

Simbindi, bobbler, AliceLily and 17 others like this.
  16. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm really, really sorry to read this @TigerLilea. Like you I have been following those patient reports, with sadness. Obviously very many people can breeze through with no apparent downside, and that includes many ME patients, but this is an important, overlooked and all-too-readily dismissed phenomenon. The basic science is showing a number of pathways where the spike protein can cause pathology: whether viral or vaccine in origin. The assumption that the vaccine-induced spike protein remains local and has no systemic effect beyond immune training seems to have been misplaced.

On a lighter note, the gut-brain axis is real!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    Simbindi, bobbler, AliceLily and 13 others like this.
  17. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I stopped after my first AZ vaccine in March 2021. Never recovered and really regret having it.

The worst symptom from the vaccine was a headache that was diagnosed as a migraine.

It has gone fortunately from 7 days a week nonstop to every couple weeks and it's milder.

There is also a separate problem with my eyes which are painful and dry but not at the same time as the supposed migraine.

The medical system had broken down around me when I had the bad reaction to the vaccine. No one wanted to see, touch or examine me.

It has been a truly horrible time.

chrisb, AliceLily, Sean and 15 others like this.
  18. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wrote about my experience of both my first and second vaccinations earlier in this thread here :

https://www.s4me.info/threads/covid-19-vaccination-experiences.19645/page-46#post-417751

I got my first booster at the end of August [Edit : it was a Pfizer jab of some kind. My first two jabs were Moderna.] and it was a repeat, but worse, of my second vaccination. I felt like I had Covid again, I had a pronounced fever with a temperature of above 102F, and I had the coughing, sore lungs, aches and pains, sweating, no appetite, etc. I was ill for about 3 or 4 days and felt worse than my usual for several days more than that.

My husband tells me that the vaccinations I'm getting are "working". He gets no reaction to his vaccinations at all. He's recently had his second booster and apart from a sore arm had no symptoms at all.

The only reason I'm getting vaccinated at all is because I'm going abroad later this year. But I doubt I'll be going abroad again after this year so as far as I'm concerned I've had my last vaccination. I'm not putting myself through having vaccine-induced Covid again, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that I don't get "real" Covid instead.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    chrisb, Simbindi, bobbler and 12 others like this.
  19. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A family member of mine with no history of ME/CFS or anything the medical system would regard as anxiety/somatisation developed serious hypertension overnight after the booster which persisted for months. She tried talking to the nurse and MD at her GP practice and she said they literally turned their heads and pretended not to hear. The pro-vaccine propaganda was the most extreme of anything I’ve seen in my life. It made some people literally insane.

chrisb, Simbindi, V.R.T. and 14 others like this.
  20. Mij

@TigerLilea I'm sorry to hear that you are still experiencing these awful effects from the vaccines. We have to make decisions based on risk and unfortunately some of us react negatively.

I also considered not getting vaccinated b/c of this vestibular virus I developed (and still have) just before the vaccines were rolled out, but b/c I was eligible for home visits I went ahead with the vaccines.

My M.E started after a sudden viral onset and I was heavily vaccinated soon after onset. Dr. Byron Hyde talked about Hep B vax that can cause injury and M.E progression. There were several nurses in Quebec that developed M.E after Hep B vaccines.

AliceLily, MeSci, Sean and 6 others like this.