Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Dom

Dom Established Member (Voting Rights)

Just had my moderna half dose. Apparently they are all half doses.

Had a right faff at the walk in centre. Got told I couldn't have it due to age. Told them I'm in group 5. Got told can't get it if you have asthma. Told them I've got ME (look of confusion) calls doctor. Sit down lovely doctor who says yes your ok to get it. Assigns me the moderna half dose. Exactly 6 months tomorrow for me.

And it seems we have to get one of these every year. Annoying.

Now to go downhill for 3 months...

2. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think JE's subsequent reply covers most of what can currently be said.

The one thing I'd add is that the age gradient, where we see vulnerability to this particular virus increasing with age, probably isn't smooth, so that a 40 year old isn't mid way between a 5 year old and a 75 year old but, in vulnerability terms, is somewhat closer to a 75 year old. Put another way, probabilistically a 35 year old getting a booster is closer in gain to the level of benefit experienced by a fifty year old getting a booster than to a 20 year old receiving one, although no one can say what that means for an individual.

3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My current interpretation to the first question here is yes. To the second, its possible but we really don't have a solid answer. Not yet anyway.

4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When the nurse called to book my home visit she asked what medical condition I had, I told her M.E, she paused and put me on hold for a minute, then she came back and said "I see, you have fibromyalgia". Whatever. So two nurses came and one gently said, "I understand fibro so I understand the pain". I told her I don't have pain, she looked confused.

5. Dom

Dom Established Member (Voting Rights)

haha! My dentist has ME confused with FM too. But at least she was really good about it, albeit if she actually had the wrong symptoms...nevermind.

Based on the replies in this thread seems like a half dose won't make any difference, but hoping it might illicit a lower immune response - although that's likely untrue and therefore won't have any effect on my recovery time. My legs have seized up 2 hours post anyway, they feel like the blood isn't moving through them like it normally does. Taken 2g NAC, 4000 FU nattokinase just in case it is actually blood, could just be an immune response which I am ok with.

6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is kind of funny with how common it is for deniers to say that those "labels", like ME and fibromyalgia, are not helpful.

Well, no shit they aren't helpful if they're systematically misused. Even the most useful things are useless when they're used incorrectly. Just look at the genius over there trying to unlock a door using an electron microscope. Microscopes are clearly useless, urh urh urh.

And by funny I mean infuriating and disastrous but whatever, who's counting?

7. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am fairly severe though I can get out of bed and lie in a recliner chair for much of the day and I have never had any problems with the covid jabs, flu or anti shingles. I am on a forum for the severe and very severe and there is no pattern.

Other threads have mentioned needing repeat vaccines and we probably will. I get the flu jab every year because the flu keeps changing and I doubt covid will be any different. I don't think the side effects are cumulative though as I've had over twenty years of flu jags with no problem.

8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The severity of ME has no relation to the level of adverse reactions being reported. It doesn't matter if you are bedridden, housebound, or have mild ME - some of us are being hit hard by reactions and others are having no reaction at all.

Binkie4, meg22, Snow Leopard and 7 others like this.
  9. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't think this has been posted: "Overview of the Main Anti-SARS-CoV-2 Vaccines: Mechanism of Action, Efficacy and Safety"
    Thread | Full Text

hibiscuswahine and Wonko like this.
  10. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They didn't actually demonstrate the trigger at all. They demonstrated a step (adenovirus capsomer binding to PF4), but have failed to explain how the autoantibodies are generated.

Notably, aspiration of the needle etc isn't enough to eliminate the risk. The authors discuss radical alteration of the capsid structures (which would also interfere with the transfection process - a point which was not acknowledged in the paper). But at that point, why wouldn't you just choose use a different vaccine platform in the first place?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    Amw66, ukxmrv, FMMM1 and 3 others like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It looks like this complicated issue is even more complicated than what it seems. It's already hard to have the % who deteriorate acknowledged, different outcomes to the same cause are just a full order of magnitude more difficult to figure out and it's already too difficult.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1467926167638454284

MeSci, meg22, Art Vandelay and 8 others like this.
  12. Mij

Bravo! A plant-based technology vaccine that doesn't require a needle- it can be inhaled.

Medicago reported in a news release that their Phase 3 placebo-controlled study -- conducted in more than 24,000 subjects in six countries who are 18 and older -- reported an overall vaccine efficacy rate of 71 per cent against all variants of SARS-CoV-2 which were circulating at the time of the study.

https://medicago.com/fr/communique/...adjuvante-contre-la-covid-19-produit-sur-plan

roller*, Sean and MeSci like this.
  13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure what they mean by a plant based vaccine. Viruses aren't plants or animals anyway. And if I read the article correctly, it says it's given intra muscularly.

14. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the protein antigen in the vaccine is made using genetically modified plants like potatoes.

Peter Trewhitt, Ariel and Trish like this.
  15. Mij

The vaccine doesn't use mRNA technology. It's administered via a jet nebulizer that generates a fine, misty solution, the particles are so tiny they're breathed right down deep into the lungs. .Once inside the lungs, the vaccine is designed to deliver a local “mucosal” response, right at the site where the virus enters the body.

This technology was built on 2 decades of research for TB vaccines

The vaccine uses a plant called Nicotiana benthamiana, which is a relative of the tobacco plant.

Binkie4 and Trish like this.
  16. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The site says intramuscular.

17. Mij

It sure does, but the news coverage here is saying via jet nebulizer :unsure:

18. Mij

This is a bit bizarre. I'm going to assume it's IM since this is what is written on their website. I sent the company an email, no reply. Our news media must have gotten it wrong yesterday? Or perhaps they can be administered both ways?

Trish likes this.
  19. Mij

“We’ve developed a COVID vaccine that contains three of the proteins of COVID-19. The novel part of our vaccine is not only the part around the development of the vaccine cells, but the administration of it,” microbiologist Dr. Fiona Smaill said in a release.

That’s probably the most exciting part. Instead of giving the vaccine by intramuscular injection, we’re giving that by an aerosol inhalation directly into the lungs using a small jet nebulizer that is very comfortable to administer.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/8430709/mcmaster-human-trials-inhaled-covid-19-vaccine/

lycaena, ahimsa, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  20. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...haled-and-its-being-made-and-tested-in-canada

Well, according to this article in the National Post (Toronto, CA), it's about 2 different Canadian vaccines. One is developed at McMaster University, based in Hamilton, Ontario, and is effectively delivered by tiny aerosol particles breathed deep into the lungs. The other, developed by the Medicago company, established in Quebec City (Province of Quebec), and is created from the famous Nicotiana benthamiana plant (with intramuscular injection). @Mij, I recognize that the National Post article can be confusing, whoever wrote it passes without too much precision quickly from one to the other.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    Mij, MeSci, Trish and 1 other person like this.