1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Current: Genome-wide association study in (CFS/ME) to uncover the genetic susceptibility and identify biological pathways involved

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I searched but couldn't find this here, which is surprising. I've also Googled and can't find details of this elsewhere.
    https://www.ukbiobank.ac.uk/2019/12...ty-and-identify-biological-pathways-involved/

Hutan, Simone, MEMarge and 16 others like this.
  2. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Andy will the announcement of whether or not UK GWAS was awarded the funding, be delayed now, because of the coronavirus?

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

So far as we know, no, but it wouldn't be surprising if it was - at the moment we are still waiting to hear one way or the other from the funders.

4. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So this is another gwas study ? Is it funded ?

Invisible Woman and Kitty like this.
  5. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if this is the same study that was talked about at the CFS/ME Research Conference in Oslo back in Nov. 2019. Thread and post with slides here.

ETA: Also a lecture from 2018. Thread with summary in English here.

Hutan, MEMarge, Sly Saint and 5 others like this.
  6. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Prof. Benedicte A. Lie is also a co-author of the recent Nature study "Human Leukocyte Antigen alleles associated with ME/CFS" from among others Fluge and Mella.

Hutan, Invisible Woman, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Great, thanks Kalliope.
    Presentation doesn't mention the UK Biobank at all though. Those numbers, as far as I understand it, while impressive currently for an ME/CFS study, aren't high enough to have high confidence in the results. Having said that, from the slides I think they are focusing more tightly on particular areas of the genome, so that might make a difference? I'm more talking out loud, rather than asking anybody in particular.

8. Chris Ponting

Chris Ponting Established Member (Voting Rights)

Small study, but great to see a genetic signal. This needs replication and more samples, but at the moment this does point towards an adaptive immune contribution to ME. Encouraging.

Mod note: Post copied to Human Leukocyte Antigen alleles study
    Human Leukocyte Antigen alleles associated with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS): Fluge, Mella et al 2020

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2020
    Simone, lycaena, Robert 1973 and 13 others like this.