1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cytokine networks analysis uncovers further differences between those who develop ME/CFS following infectious mononucleosis, 2021, Jason et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Wyva, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ABSTRACT

Background
    We followed college students before, during, and after infectious mononucleosis (IM) for the development of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS).

Aim
    We used network analysis to study relationships between pre-illness cytokine data amongst three groups of participants: those 30 who went on to develop ME/CFS following IM (and met one case definition), those 18 who went on to develop severe ME/CFS (S-ME-CFS) following IM (and met greater than one case definition), and those 58 who recovered following IM (controls).

Methods
    We recruited 4501 college students; approximately 5% developed IM during their enrollment at university. Those who developed IM were evaluated at a 6-month follow-up to determine whether they recovered or met criteria for ME/CFS; those who met >1 set of criteria for ME/CFS were termed S-ME/CFS. Patterns of pre-illness cytokine networks were then classified according to the following characteristics: membership, modularity, Eigen centrality, Total centrality, and mean degree. Network statistics were compared across groups using a one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA).

Results
    Those with S-ME/CFS had a more interconnected network of cytokines, whereas recovered controls had more differentiated networks and more subgroupings of cytokine connections. Those with ME/CFS had a network that was denser than the controls, but less dense than those with severe ME/CFS.

Conclusions
    The distinct network differences between these three groups implies that there may be biological differences between our three groups of study participants at baseline.

Paywall: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21641846.2021.1915131

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Simon M, Colin, sebaaa and 20 others like this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting 'definition' of 'severe'.

Simon M, sebaaa, Forbin and 9 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From memory they have defined it that way in previous papers.

sebaaa, Forbin, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This pre -ME study is an excellent idea. Here's hope for more to come.

Simon M, sebaaa, Forbin and 5 others like this.