Daridorexant - treatment for insomnia

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Sarah94, Jan 25, 2024.

1. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, either it worked really well, or I’m in a phase where I was going to sleep really well anyway. (The latter is very plausible as I slept 17 hours on Monday before my mum woke me up.)

It didn’t have any bad effects for me anyway. I do have some of the side effects listed as common in the packaging, but they’re ones which often occur for me anyway, so who knows whether they’re an effect of the Daridorexant.

I will wait until I’m definitely having a sleep problem, to try it again.

2. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Glad that it may have worked for you @Sarah94.
    I have an appointment tomorrow with a GP and unless he has some information that the local Formulary is likely to approve Daridorexant soon, I think I may have to use my private prescription at a cost of £200 for 3 months. £800 a year if it works. It may be cheaper to move house!

I have been prescribed everything else ( actually currently on 2 NHS drugs for sleep)and have tried others that work in different ways but nothing works.

But sleep is so crucial. I think Shakespeare said something to that effect??? Someone erudite may be able to provide it.

MEMarge, Kitty, Sarah94 and 2 others like this.
  3. Sarah94

Yeah it was in Macbeth - "sleep, that knits up the ravelled sleeve of care, sweet nature's balm"

MEMarge, Ash, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  4. Binkie4

Well done!

MEMarge, Sarah94 and Ash like this.
  5. Sarah94

I tried 25 mg daridorexant again a couple of nights ago and it had zero effect. Zero. So I’m inclined to think that the “effect” the first time was just one of those periods of high sleepiness that I sometimes get.

I may try the 50 mg dose at some point.

MEMarge, Trish, Binkie4 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Braganca

Braganca Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi Sarah.. It says on website that it’s meant to be taken every night.. not as a rescue. It works over time. Maybe worth taking every night for a few weeks and evaluating at end of that timeframe.

MEMarge and Colette like this.
  7. Sarah94

I appreciate that that’s what the marketing says, but I’ve yet to see a scientific/pharmacological/pharmacokinetic reason explaining why it would work like that.

MEMarge likes this.
  8. Sarah94

I'm getting on really well with the daridorexant. Strongly recommend to anyone with sleep issues who can get it prescribed.

And FWIW, my experience is that it *does* work as a rescue, I don't need to take it every night.

wingate, MEMarge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  9. Sarah94

Do you know about whether the local Formulary is going to approve it any time soon? I too am under the SW London Formulary.

MEMarge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  10. Binkie4

No no news at all.

11. Braganca

Braganca Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That’s great to hear.. Do you feel the quality of sleep you’re getting is better, or that it is improving your ME symptoms or baseline? I would be really excited if my brain worked better with this med.. haven’t managed to get it yet.

12. Sarah94

Honestly I don't generally have a problem with quality of sleep - the issue is falling asleep and, sometimes, staying asleep. Daridorexant eliminates both those issues. And of course, not being sleep deprived makes my brain work somewhat better.

13. Binkie4

Reporting back after taking daridorexant. When it was approved by my local Formulary, my GP gave me a prescription and I have been taking 25 mg nightly since about April- cannot actually remember the date. I had to titrate it up and at the same time titrate down the 5mg benzo that I had been taking for decades.

I am pleased to be off the benzo and established on daridorexant, in fact very pleased to be off the benzo.

How is it working? In the beginning I noticed very little difference. My sleep was still poor but I was reducing nitrazepam so that might have been the explanation. I still had nights when I didn't sleep until 4 or 5 and was asleep till 11am. Gradually I think there has been an improvement. There are more nights when I am asleep by 12 midnight or 1am. I am not yet confident I will sleep when I go to bed but actually I think with time, it is improving and I am sleeping better. I hope I haven't jinxed myself but fingers crossed, the improvement continues.

alktipping, MEMarge, lycaena and 8 others like this.