1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dialogues for a neglected illness - videos on experiences of people with ME (funded by Wellcome Foundation)

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Andy, Oct 15, 2018.

1. InfiniteRubix

InfiniteRubix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping, rainy, oldtimer and 10 others like this.
  2. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As I've said earlier, these are great videos and a great resource for the community. Well executed, good quality, good content. Bravo!

alktipping, Natalie, rainy and 12 others like this.
  3. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I shared the films with my Dr Niece today.

The response

"3 GP friends already responded with thank yous. One is currently recovering from COVID and says she has a new found respect for people with ME xx"

= me :cry:

eta: emoji

alktipping, Natalie, rainy and 21 others like this.
  4. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I sent the dialogues for neglected illness videos - the Severe ME page of the website - to the doctors I’ve been dealing with (who have so far been causing much harm / stress to me). I asked them to watch the videos on that page including the hospital admission one.

I was so glad and it was really a relief that I had this resource to send to them :) videos and seeing individuals and doctors talking, is often so much more hard hitting and understood by others, than just reading text.

alktipping, Natalie, rainy and 18 others like this.
  5. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

*Quick list of interviewees for "Reduced Function" in order:
    Dr Ben Marsh
    Dr Nina Muirhead
    "R"
    Grace
    Lydia
    Linda
    Graham McPhee
    Naomi Whittingham
    John Peters
    Anna
    Tom Kindlon
    Vera Kindlon
    Joan McParland

Planning on watching the other one tomorrow

alktipping, Grigor, rainy and 17 others like this.
  6. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent videos. Again. Of course. :)

Thanks to all involved, and especially for stressing how much patients' families are affected, too.

alktipping, Natalie, rainy and 10 others like this.
  7. Tom Kindlon

List of interviewees for "How does the disease start?" in order:
    Dr Nina Muirhead
    Grace
    R
    Lydia
    Dr Ben Marsh
    Linda
    Catherine Hale
    Joan McParland
    John Peters
    Anna
    Naomi Whittingham
    Edna (GP who first became ill during the time of the Royal Free outbreak!)

8. Natalie

Natalie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Activity Management – Pacing. https://www.dialogues-mecfs.co.uk/films/pacing/
    A new Dialogues from a neglected illness video released. Pacing has become an important subject for some people following covid 19, so we interrupted the Patients’ Accounts of Symptoms series to edit Pacing. Then the NICE draft was published and Pacing became even more significant!! Patients’ Accounts of PEM and then Cognitive Difficulties, to follow soon.
    Contributions from Mark VanNess and Todd Davenport from Workwell, interviewed in 2019, and also from Charles Shepherd, Luis Nacul and two biobank donors.

9. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cant wait to watch it. @Natalie these videos are amazing.

Just to let you know that the severe ME one helped me recently in a discussion with my carer & to give to neighbours who were making too much sound. I'm sure you know they are helping people but just wanted to let you know they making a difference to my life thank you for all your efforts with them

10. Natalie

Hi Jem, Thank you very much. I'm so glad it was useful for you. I saw your post yesterday? about a video to show neighbours and was wondering about it... Did you see this animation - https://voicesfromtheshadowsfilm.co.uk/2018/animation-for-severe-me-day/ a friend of my youngest son made it after interviewing him. He had an ME like condition after Giardiasis and has been very sound sensitive at times. It is very watchable. Lovely drawings and a very nice animation. She won quite a few awards with it. It might be useful sometime.

11. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi @Natalie yes i have seen that and thought how wonderful it was, gorgeous drawing.

alktipping, ahimsa, JaneL and 5 others like this.
  12. Natalie

The third in the collection of Patients' Accounts of Symptoms is now up - Post-exertional malaise or Post-exertional symptom exacerbation... as NICE refers to it. There is also a transcript for the Pacing video which was put up last week. https://www.dialogues-mecfs.co.uk/films/patients-experiences/

13. Tom Kindlon

14. Natalie

Attached Files:

15. Natalie

16. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Natalie

18. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I picked up on that one, too. Some years ago I participated in a study on face blindness and turns out I am. Just mildly, the least blind of the blind, but definitely face blind. I'd never connected it to ME though. Of course it may have nothing to do with ME. Amongst the millions of pwME there must be handful of face blind people just by coincidence, face blindness is quite common. But if there's a significant number of people who definitely were not face blind before ME and now are, that could be more relevant. Face blindness is a cognitive dysfunction which can be measured. Unfortunately I've had ME too long to remember how I remembered faces before ME.

19. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think these videos are terrific. Thank you.

Whoever decided on the music to break up the talking - thank you too. I felt unusually calm watching them.

rvallee, Kalliope, Skycloud and 2 others like this.
  20. Tom Kindlon

alktipping likes this.