1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion of suggestions for the ME/CFS Priority Setting Partnership, deadline 5th July - extended to 7th July.

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Andy, Apr 23, 2021.

1. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[​IMG]

Joh and Trish like this.
  2. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We haven't seen much of this in the replies coming thro so far.

A few offensive comments about PwMe have been put in the "out of scope" section...

3. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just have submitted a suggestion.

Was too brain fogged to asses if it made sense.

A suggestion to differentiate and precisely specify diverse forms of fatigue, based on detailed symptoms monitoring (*)

Fatigue is seen as one of the most characteristic symptoms of ME/CFS. While the focus on fatigue has been criticized, to me it still seems justified to list diverse forms of fatigue and fatigability among the core symptoms of ME/CFS. Yet I think fatigue as a symptom, or complex of symptoms, should always be specified.

It seems to me that most clinicians and researchers conceive fatigue as basically being one feature, consisting of two subtypes: an adequately perceived fatigue and an inadequately perceived fatigue. (Perhaps similar to the conception of pain .)

The first subtype is acknowledged to have an underlying pathophysiology whereas the second subtype is seen as a mere distortion of normal bodily and cognitive functions.

At the same time, most researchers I think admit that their ideas how the physiology of 'fatigue' in chronic illness works are still only hypotheses. Fatigue still mostly seems "medically unexplained".

Yet there were some attempts to specify and differentiate manifestations of MS related fatigue which I think could make sense, because they aren't based on premature ideas about the etiology, but on precise observations, and objective measurement derived from those observations. [1,2,4]

I'm afraid though that those attempts to differentiate also apply the underlying concept of adequate and inadequate perceptions. Which maybe doesn't matter so much for the specific features they study if they are seen as 'adequately perceived' fatigue -- as it more often seems to be the case with motor fatigability and cognitive fatigability in MS and other neurological illness.

However, these approaches seem to me to imply that similar symptoms in the same illness or in a comorbidity (or in another illness that is framed as 'medically unexplained' per se) are not worthy to be differentiated and assessed in a similarly elaborated manner, if they are seen only as a a distortion. They then are being denied the possibility of objectively measurable 'real' alterations or of any other relevant objective measures.

Moreover, even the suggestions to differentiate made e.g. by Kluger er al [3] apparently aim at establishing a comparable, unified category of 'fatigue' as a summarization of all forms of fatigue and fatigability.

I think it would be extremely helpful to work on a critique on the concept(s) of fatigue in chronic illnesses, validating the idea of differentiating and speaking of fatigue only with a specifier. Also perhaps, validating the importance of both improving the quality of subjective reports and applying objective measures of specific symptoms associated with 'fatigue'.

In ME/CFS however, specifying diverse forms of fatigue (also in more complex symptoms like PEM which consists of diverse symptoms, including symptoms that cannot be sufficiently described even with differentiated, specified terms of fatigue) I think need to be preceded by more precise observations.[5]

Observations could include cognitive activity and physical activity patterns over a period of time (several weeks at least), accompanied by observation of movement patterns [6] (including fine motor skills) and repeated testing of diverse dimensions of cognitive performance, all compared with both healthy controls and other illness, e.g, depression.

These diverse observations and measurements I think have to be seen together to not only develop useful tools for a more robust diagnosis but also to get better clues where to look for potential pathophysiological factors.

References:

[1] Sehle, A., Vieten, M., Sailer, S. et al (2014), Objective assessment of motor fatigue in multiple sclerosis: the Fatigue index Kliniken Schmieder, J Neurol 261: 1752. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-014-7415-7,

[2] Dettmers, C. , Riegger, M. , Müller, O. and Vieten, M. (2016), Fatigability Assessment Using the Fatigue Index Kliniken Schmieder (FKS) Is Not Compromised by Depression. Health , 8, 1485-1494. doi: 10.4236/health.2016.814147.

[3] Kluger BM, Krupp LB, Enoka RM (2013), Fatigue and fatigability in neurologic illnesses: proposal for a unified taxonomy. Neurology. , 80 (4): 409-16, https://n.neurology.org/content/80/4/409 ; PMC article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3589241/