1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2020, Baloh

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Tom Kindlon, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1335252892803084291

Woolie, cfsandmore, Simbindi and 6 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, yes, because symptoms famously only come singular. Hence why people suffering from RA have no other symptoms whatsoever. As do people with Parkinson's, no other symptoms whatsoever. Hell, it's illegal for symptoms to not come in single file so obviously this is impossible and must signify somatization!
    Aging like fermented manure.

Twits.

3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems that almost everyone who uses the term medically unexplained symptoms (MUS) also wants to argue that those symptoms are either psychosomatic or a modern form of hysteria.

Michelle, alktipping, Hoopoe and 18 others like this.
  4. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Haven't read it but let me guess: They have absolutely zero evidence for their bold assertions.

5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I think you are wrong on this @rvallee. Manure eventually turns into something really useful given enough time. Whereas this just keeps stinking.

It's 2020. It's hard to believe that female predominance can be used as evidence of mass psychogenic illness in a medical textbook. Where's the evidence?

Oh, all the previous cases of mass psychogenic illness where there was female predominance. And how was it known that those were mass psychogenic illnesses? It was because of the female predominance.
    And why were there no objective neurological and laboratory findings? Because they were mass psychogenic illnesses - so any thorough investigation effort would have just encouraged the hysteria and be futile, because there are no objective neurological and laboratory findings in psychogenic illness.

Michelle, StefanE, Cheshire and 16 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As is tradition.

7. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Baloh is an enthusiast of 'mass psychogenic illness.' He co-wrote a paper on Havana Syndrome (the diplomats with unexplained symptoms) advocating that diagnosis.

It's worth making a comparison with the recently posted PhD paper looking at fatigue through Lacanian psychoanalytical theory. The fact is that, if you want to, you can make sense of anything by looking at it through a Lacanian 'lense', just as pretty much anything can be seen as 'consistent with mass psychogenic illness'. This is the power of pseudoscientific frameworks.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have read some of the chapters. There is very little critical insight of a scientific perspective, and no care at all given to the breadth or quality of evidence underlying the claims. The actual level of detail is fairly superficial and less than what you'd learn by reading a Wikipedia article on each of the subtopics. The overall tone is of a book written in the 1980s-1990s - there is very little that is mentioned in much detail that wasn't already well-discussed back then.

9. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here's the latest on the Havana syndrome: (Baloh and the Lacanists will go into the dustbin of history I have no doubt.) https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/ha...rowave-energy-government-study-finds-n1250094

10. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perrier likes this.