1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Flower Arranging Helps Reduce Fibromyalgia Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and Connective Tissue Disorders' started by shak8, Sep 16, 2019.

1. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

According to this Medscape report https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/916994

Unfortunately for me, lifting my arms is never therapeutic. Strong floral odors can be unpleasant also.

Surely the more severe cases (who couldn't reliably turn up at the venue) dropped out.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    MEMarge, Aroa, John Mac and 11 others like this.
  2. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How ridiculous! Doing any enjoyable activity would temporarily distract from pain but you have to be well enough to do it in the first place. I quite agree @shak8 - if you're well enough to do an activity, it is already a self-selecting group....and it would be interesting to know how the pain was after, the next day, few days after etc.

Lisa108, MEMarge, Aroa and 14 others like this.
  3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These flowers...they wouldn't be poppies would they ;)

MyalgicE, Lisa108, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  4. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hehe:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:, but there were a lot of potheads as participants.

5. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Not deckchair arranging?

6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I mean, kinda.

(for those unfamiliar, the Sackler family is very prominently responsible for a large part of the opioid crisis in the US and has recently been found guilty of just that and hiding their blood-stained fortune away from prosecution).

Annamaria, Lisa108, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seriously confirming that the bar to get a medical license is actually way, way too low.

Annamaria, Lisa108, shak8 and 2 others like this.
  8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

And why is little known?
    Could it perhaps be because people like this:
    faff around with studies on flower arranging?

9. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am much more interested in the effect basket weaving has on fibromyalgia, or painting, or being Napoleon.

Has any research been done on these yet, and if not why not, as they clearly think that people with fibromyalgia require exactly the same, and only the same, treatment as people on a MH ward (for whom there is also the possibility that flower arranging is no more effective at helping cope with a 'break' than, say, doing something that is not flower arranging.)

Annamaria, Graham, MyalgicE and 10 others like this.
  10. Hutan

If someone pays me an adequate sum, I can do a literature review (aka google) that will confirm that being Napoleon significantly reduces the risk of having fibromyalgia. I will also offer, at a discounted price, a range of bicorne hats to assist people in their journey towards being pain-free.

11. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is no placebo control. Rookie mistake. They should have had patient folding clothes and arranging them in chest of drawers as control group.

Then this:
    Sigh. Flower arranging while high... tsk tsk tsk...

So patients still have tender points. But who cares if you smoke pot and arrange flowers in a pot?

12. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

But surely they are missing a fundamental question = do the patients bring their own flowers in a shopping bag and how do they feel about carrying them.

13. large donner

large donner Guest

So presumably flower unarranging would make you feel more ill?

14. Hutan

Sorry, I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I'm still bemused/appalled by this study. These people seriously believe that 12 weekly sessions of flower-arranging, (very bad flower-arranging at that e.g. this, taken from the article)
    Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 9.51.19 PM.png
    has a lasting effect on fibromyalgia symptoms?:facepalm:

Maybe that's the answer - the ladies using cannabis introduced the others to their suppliers.

shak8, Annamaria, alktipping and 13 others like this.
  15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I haven't bothered to read beyond the first sentence.

Sounds like 1950's style occupational therapy. Is this really what people in severe disabling pain need - to be so patronised.

And spending hours getting hayfever from the flowers and excruciating pain in my arms from all that flower arranging is not my idea of treatment.

And why the assumption that people with fibromyalgia have 'psychiatric symptoms'.

shak8, Annamaria, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  16. fossil

fossil Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I reckon that red flower is hiding the doobie.

shak8, Annamaria, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  17. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

It’s that symptom catastrophising thing Auntie Trudie likes to bang on about innit. Sit and do some nice flowers and think nice thoughts instead of the silly exaggerated ones.......

Hutan, shak8, Annamaria and 5 others like this.
  18. hellytheelephant

I can confirm this: I haven't arranged any flowers today, and I feel like crap!:rolleyes:

Hutan, shak8, Arnie Pye and 10 others like this.
  19. hellytheelephant

This is pretty much the approach I faced when after over a year of waiting, I finally got to our local Pain 'Management'- unbelievably stupid advice, consisting of: you are going to be in pain for the rest of your life, in fact your pain is going to get worse (I'm already not coping, but thanks for that!), you need to carry on as if you don't have the pain ( for whose benefit?), and hide it from everyone ( again- why?), and look at this diagram, which shows that when you are HAPPY you notice pain less, therefore be HAPPY and problem solved!

It is hard to believe that people get paid to do this kind of stuff.:(

shak8, Arnie Pye, Annamaria and 12 others like this.
  20. large donner

large donner Guest

Ah you must be in the control group. Try looking for a nice vase with some pretty flowers in and shuffle them all up so they are discombobulated and then get back to us.

I feel the level of evidence gathering here could result in a Cochrane review being the outcome of this thread.

shak8, Arnie Pye, Annamaria and 10 others like this.