Genetic association study in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) identifies several potential risk loci, 2022,Hajdarevic et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Hoopoe, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who knows? - we would need to find out. Maybe that the critical abnormal process in ME is so hard to observe because it involves supramolecular solid phase changes within brain cells at a level that at present we have no means to observe directly?

sebaaa, merylg, Fernweh and 9 others like this.
  2. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting - I wonder if the research into Alzheimer's may help - understanding how to investigate abnormalities in brain cells - potential ways to treat. Sounds optimistic - understatement, but they may have come up with techniques/technologies which could help to understand e.g. TPPP1 functioning.

merylg, Ariel and cfsandmore like this.
  3. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What region is that on chromosome 4 I wonder

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find it very hard to describe this, even when it is happening I have tried to find words but to no avail. When I am particularly exhausted, usually because of lots of sensory input such as my grandchildren moving, shouting, playing arguing, tv on, all talking to me at once - you get the picture - I lie on the bed hardly able to think then something comes over me like a glass filling up, fizzing, building and building till it breaks the way a fever breaks and I start to feel better.

In the days when I was moderately ill but had young children so the PEM was often worse, I would find tears running down my face which I assumed was my body desperately trying to get rid of toxins.

In those days I also experienced a strange thing when I was exhausted. A black depression would creep over me in the course of a few hours but if I slept, even for just a few minutes, I would waken up with it gone.

ME is much more complex than "fatigue"

sebaaa, merylg, cfsandmore and 5 others like this.
  5. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can relate to all you say Mithriel, that is a good description.

Thats again why i hate the 'fatigue' word. But i dont want to get my on my soap box about that haha!

merylg, cfsandmore, Sean and 6 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

sebaaa, merylg, Sean and 3 others like this.
  7. darrellpf

darrellpf Established Member (Voting Rights)

I often have the same feeling, which I describe as despair. It can be over something as small as dropping a pencil on the floor. That is my signal to go have a nap. In the same way, even a short nap makes the feeling go away. The precursor seems to be an irritability about everything. Now my partner even suggests it when I get chippy.

The first time I took Lyrica I woke up the next morning feeling like a miracle had happened. I assume it was the first decent sleep I'd had in a long time. The Lyrica gave me about two years, with gradually increasing doses. Eventually I just got a lot worse. Now I recognize a doubling of dosage as a sign that I've probably encountered a stimulant which is going to wear me down.

I started using THC drops at night (I'm from Canada). The first few times I used it I would wake up eight hours later, long after the effects should have worn off, and wonder if I was somehow still high. Eventually I just realized that's how people feel after a good sleep.

People also forget that stimulation is also a problem, no just physical exercise. The brain uses a lot of energy. I spend a great deal of my day lying down in a quiet room. No television. No radio. No reading. It is really boring but it allows me to have a few hours of family time in the evening.

merylg, jaded, Mithriel and 7 others like this.
  8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Just THC? Or does it contain CBD too?

If it does, then what ratios are you using?

merylg likes this.
  9. darrellpf

darrellpf Established Member (Voting Rights)

THC 32mg/g CBD 0.0
    The 30ml bottles come with a syringe that stops a standard dose at .3ml, which is about 3 drops. I've never used more than one standard dose.

The CBD bottles are
    CBD 100mg/g
    THC < 3mg/g

I also use the CBD occasionally on days where I might have to drive. I find even with a dosage of 3 or 4 times as much I don't get the same effect.

merylg, MeSci and Sean like this.
  10. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reading up on the things microtubules / tubulin is involved in, is interesting. It's involved in the regulation of cellular energy metabolism and mast cell degranulation and probably many other functions.

The link to energy metabolism is the role it plays in the cytoskeleton. It appears that the specific organization of the cytoskeleton, shape of the cell and these kinds of things influence energy metabolism of the cell.

I'm guessing that red blood cell deformability also has something to do with these kinds of structural proteins.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    Hutan, Ariel, merylg and 6 others like this.
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

12. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lupus analogy is helpful in understanding the value SNP findings in GWAS

This analogy from Jonathan Edwards, about how a deficiency of one protein in the complement system revealed the importance of the complement system as a whole in causing Lupus, is very helpful in understanding how GWAS work.

Each SNP that is significant may play only a trivial role: it's more like a flag pointing out a gene that might play an important role. Usually, scientists would want to see several SNPs point to the same gene (or the same pathway) before they get excited.

Usually, SNPs only affect the amount of gene expressed: the protein is completely normal, and the biological effect is subtle. Compare this with a genetic disease, say sickle cell disease, where the haemoglobin gene defect affects the nature of the protein that is made (so that it binds oxygen less well). Such changes to the protein can have a much bigger effect.

That's why using p< 5 x 10^-8 as the statistical threshold is so important as it corrects for the many comparisons. This study finding falls an order of magnitude short of that threshold.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    Hutan, FMMM1, sebaaa and 11 others like this.
  13. Chris Ponting

Chris Ponting Established Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Michelle, Sean and 10 others like this.
  14. chillier

chillier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for the explanations! Do you (Simon, Chris or anyone) know if they reported on rs7337312 ( SLC25A15 ) which looked somewhat promising from a previous UK biobank analysis? I couldn't see anything from a cursory look at their supplementary data

Ariel, merylg and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  15. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ime this is key. i have a more nuanced and detailed response someplace but don't have it in me to search for it atm. sleep, including but not limited to circadian stuff, mediates pem. and pem can make sleep worse.

Michelle, MeSci, NelliePledge and 2 others like this.
  16. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's difficult to exclude correlation. If PEM is mediated by an elapse of time - it is classically described as occurring many hours after an assumed precipitating activity/event - then in any individual where onset of PEM is perceptible after an elapse of time which includes the usual sleep pattern, onset of PEM will appear correlated with sleeping.

That isn't to say there is no interaction between the process of sleep and the process of PEM but it seems difficult to easily separate those interactions. A further confounder might be the restart problem where in ME/CFS moving from a lower activity state to a higher activity state is notably difficult. If PEM is a cumulative response, that is it is a process that builds over a period of time, restarting - in this case waking/getting up in the PEM state, will be notably more difficult than waking/getting up in the non PEM state, providing a 'day after' effect.

I'm a 48 hour PEMer - so typically I will have two night time sleeps (no day time ones) before PEM becomes a notable feature.

Hutan, Michelle, Ariel and 3 others like this.
  17. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Wired unable to sleep insomnia with burning pain the night immediately following the exertion is the first stage of pem in my experience. Today I finally slept at 9am until 1pm. Woke up feeling equally bad just not wired.

Michelle, MeSci, Ariel and 4 others like this.