Independent advisory group for the full update of the Cochrane review on exercise therapy and ME/CFS (2020), led by Hilda Bastian

Discussion in '2021 Cochrane Exercise Therapy Review' started by Lucibee, Feb 13, 2020.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oooooh, a finger-wagging. That'll do it.

Michelle, Ash, Solstice and 8 others like this.
  2. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I will ask them to send me a copy of the letter :)

Michelle, Arvo, Ash and 11 others like this.
  3. Caroline Struthers

Assuming the Charity Commission refuse to send me a copy of their "reminder" letter to the Cochrane trustees, can I obtain it via FOI?

Michelle, Ash, FMMM1 and 6 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Haven’t checked but surely as a public body they are subject to FOI

Michelle, RedFox, Ash and 8 others like this.
  5. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is ForwardME doing anything theses days?

bobbler, alktipping, Solstice and 4 others like this.
  6. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, as per NelliePledge I'd expect that the Charity Commission would have to disclose their "reminder" letter to the Cochrane trustees. Relying on memory but the exemptions, from FOI, are limited e.g. legal advice, commercial and I can't think of any that are relevant in this case. They may e.g. redact the name of junior [Charity Commission] officials but nothing substantial.

Thanks for chasing this; I still think the APPGs might be a route to put pressure on Cochrane - maybe worth trying when the summer recess is over (September?).

Michelle, RedFox, bobbler and 8 others like this.
  7. Caroline Struthers

OK. I will submit a FOI request and see what happens. And yes, I have still heard nothing from the trustees, so I will contact the APPGs in September

Barry, RedFox, Missense and 21 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Caroline.

Sean, bobbler, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  9. Caroline Struthers

Ariel, Michelle, Barry and 25 others like this.
  10. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Chezboo, Ariel, Michelle and 23 others like this.
  11. Caroline Struthers

Lou B Lou, mango, Ariel and 26 others like this.
  12. Trish

Well done Caroline. I agree the What do they know system works well. I found it surprisingly good, including the way it dealt with correspondence to clarify my request and get answers.

Ariel, Michelle, inox and 11 others like this.
  13. Trish

Posts about the upcoming closing of the UK Cochrane office have been moved to News from Cochrane

bobbler, Michelle, Binkie4 and 3 others like this.
  14. Caroline Struthers

I received a reply saying the Chrarity Commission are not going to disclose its telling-off letter to Cochrane as it might deter Cochrane from engaging with them in the future or something. So not in the public interest.
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/requ...ation to C Struthers.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1.

I haven't heard back from COPE yet. They also have no regulatory power, and also demand that details of their investigation and any contact with Cochrane stay off social media etc. I have complained that Cochrane have refused to investigate my "whistleblower" complaint about Karla Soares-Weiser which contained "specific and detailed evidence". Refusing to investigate is not following the COPE guidelines. https://publicationethics.org/sites/default/files/respond-whistleblowers-concerns-cope-flowchart.pdf. So they will have to justify that to COPE. I am sure they will do so, but it will be interesting to see how they do it.

Hutan, bobbler, RedFox and 21 others like this.
  15. FMMM1

As you know my knowledge is limited but if I (at work) refuse to disclose something then I'd need to rely on one (of the few) specified exemptions under FOI. Also, I'd need to "clear" the approach since ultimately the "organisation" can be hauled up in front of the FOI Commissioner.
    There are tiers [EDIT - tiers of appeals against refusal to disclose]: first tier is internal i.e. someone independent of those who made the decision not to disclose; second is external - outside organisation. You may wish to consider complaining re the decision.
    Thanks for doing this.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2023
    Michelle, Barry, mango and 11 others like this.
  16. Caroline Struthers

OK. I will have a look at doing that. I need to get my head round it...which may take a bit of time!

Barry, mango, Sean and 7 others like this.
  17. FMMM1

Yea, the first stage seems to be I don't agree e.g. you've misinterpreted the defence - but that's an unthought out (knee jerk) reaction. Best, as you say --- I need to get my head round it...which may take a bit of time!
    If the use a "not in the public interest" (but not more specific) then that strikes me as open to interpretation - interesting to get an independent take on it.

18. Caroline Struthers

I said in a Tweet that it seems a poor defence to tell me in an email, which was not confidential, that they have contacted Cochrane. But then to say they can't disclose the content of what they sent, because it's not in the public interest. Surely it is in the public interest to know that the Charity Commission did what they said they had done. It would increase public trust in the Charity Commission. Is that enough to challenge their decision?
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1690685490259755008

bobbler, Sean, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  19. FMMM1

Agree fully i.e. it is surely in the public interest. Yes what you have outlined above seems sufficient to me but I think you may need to go to the second level of appeal (external to Charity Commission) i.e. to get a independent take on the Charity Commission's interpretation. Seems the way to get around FOI is to have a policy that disclosure is not in the public interest since --- pick whatever reason comes to mind!
    EDIT - thanks for doing this & good luck.

bobbler, alktipping, Missense and 3 others like this.
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Noticing this thread... 3.5 years mark. Complete silence for... what at least 1.5 years?

Says everything about Cochrane. But at this point I cannot see Bastian as being any better. I think she Garnered us.

Ash, Michelle, EzzieD and 10 others like this.