Independent advisory group for the full update of the Cochrane review on exercise therapy and ME/CFS (2020), led by Hilda Bastian

Discussion in '2021 Cochrane Exercise Therapy Review' started by Lucibee, Feb 13, 2020.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

It’s standard establishment tactics keep stonewalling with non responses for years in the hope people will give up, run out of money or motivation to pursue their complaint.

Another standard establishment tactic is to kick something off into the long grass of a review, at the beginning this makes people think progress is being made. But it depends very much on what the review consists of.........

Woolie, alktipping, Kitty and 15 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fully agree. But from their perspective, at this time they would be idiots if they were not consulting lawyers in some cases when deciding how to reply. Idiotic they may be in some ways, but I doubt they are when it comes down to self preservation.

Woolie, alktipping, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  3. NelliePledge

Wasn’t disagreeing with that B

4. Kirsten

Kirsten Established Member (Voting Rights)

How awful, that they know it's bad enough to consult with lawyers, but yet they still won't put a stop to the harm it's all causing! I just don't understand how they can live with that, and then to also throw back the nonsense responses...

5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, we don't know for sure that they are consulting lawyers and even if they are they are perfectly entitled to.

It's the fact it's so blatant that patient interests come a very distant last in their priorities. This should undermine their credibility & yet they seem confident that it doesn't and with good reason it would appear.

I see no problem with someone making a good living out of helping & healing people but when patients are seen as marks or walking cash cows then I have a huge problem with that.

6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed. The NHS has very deep pockets, along with even longer arms. There is no way they would run out of money to defend themselves in a court of law because they just use taxpayers' money. And all they really have to do is have more money than an individual patient, and that would be pretty much everyone.

7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is only a supposition of mine, that's all. But I find myself asking: "Would they not be consulting lawyers at this time, given how they are forever dropping themselves in it?"

8. NelliePledge

Was talking about Cochrane though

9. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pretty much. Which is why (as I've said all along) PACE will never be retracted. They would only do so if they were sufficiently embarrassed by it.

alktipping, Daisymay, Kitty and 7 others like this.
  10. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If they were sued and lost ?
    If Dr Myhill' s GMC crusade found in her favour ?
    ????

alktipping, Daisymay, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  11. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's definitely preferred that there is a general agreement. But journals retract or correct things when they need to over the objections of authors. In many cases, some co-authors on a paper might agree to a correction or retractions while other co-authors won't.

12. Lucibee

Sorry for not being up to speed on this, but are the IAG waiting for NICE? Because that seems to be the wrong way round.
    If I'd known that were the case, I would have submitted my comment to NICE and not Cochrane. But I guess it's too late now. :(

13. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is no IAG yet. So no.

Invisible Woman and Kitty like this.
  14. Lucibee

15. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She used the future tense. Something to happen, in time.

16. Lucibee

Time is of the essence. I thought she meant weeks, not years!

17. NelliePledge

Yes that is a very reasonable interpretation @Lucibee

obviously we are in difficult times for the last 12 months

nevertheless I don’t think anyone would have expected in June 2020 that there would be literally no progress

certainly no transparency

it is very disappointing

I feel it is disrespectful

Woolie, alktipping, MEMarge and 16 others like this.
  18. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

“At the appropriate juncture, in due course, in the fullness of time” as Sir Humphrey might say.

As far as I’m aware we’ve not had any news of progress since Hilda was appointed IAG lead over a year ago. Last April we were told there would be a progress report “soon”. In February we were told “A progress report is a high priority, and plan to have it out well before the end of this month.”

@Hilda Bastian Can you tell us whether any members of the IAG have been appointed yet?

Woolie, Hutan, alktipping and 12 others like this.
  19. Lucibee

Hutan, MSEsperanza, MEMarge and 12 others like this.
  20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)