Independent advisory group for the full update of the Cochrane review on exercise therapy and ME/CFS (2020), led by Hilda Bastian

Discussion in '2021 Cochrane Exercise Therapy Review' started by Lucibee, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I won't claim to be in contact with all advocates and advocacy groups but I do have some connections with various groups and I've not heard anything about any of them being involved with this. It doesn't lead me to have any confidence in the process, especially considering the totally inadequate communication levels.

I appreciate that Covid has had a major impact across the globe, but that doesn't stop at least minimal communication taking place, if the will to do so is there.

andypants, Michelle, Helene and 20 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, at least I see no promise of transparency in the "new way" so it's not like not delivering on it is a failure. Well, it is, but it wasn't promised.

A significant problem was secrecy and things not happening the way they should have because of said secrecy, multiple arbitrary exemptions from the norm, none of which were justified. Once those things were exposed, they were forced to admit to those failings, which were protected only because of the secrecy under which the arbitrary exemptions were executed.

An organization that cannot deliver anything should not have this much power over millions of lives, completely unaccountable and without independent oversight. None of the people responsible for the old reviews and how they were published have any stake in the matter, it doesn't affect a damn thing in their lives so they can take all the time they want. This is why things are so terrible, they are completely detached from what they leave behind and they never have to, Marie Antoinette syndrome, or whatever.

Especially as the pandemic obviously raised the stakes, which Cochrane clearly does not understand.

Helene, Art Vandelay, Sean and 6 others like this.
  3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Helene, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  5. Caroline Struthers

It's weird because i think Hilda left Cochrane (as a member) mainly (solely?) over the fact that reviews are not universally open access. But since getting involved in the exercise review and appointed as leader of the IAG she is doing other Cochrane stuff - maybe just COVID related? And the IAG stuff has stalled. Hopefully the report will explain all...

Hutan, Helene, Barry and 6 others like this.
  6. Caroline Struthers

It seems Hilda has become a Cochrane member again - added to the database in March 2020.

MEMarge, Chezboo, Helene and 5 others like this.
  7. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Ever wondered if the QA their stats code used to analyze trials.

8. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I did wonder if there are some politics going on around who gets appointed since they say clinicians and researchers. I could imagine someone in Cochrane pushing for people with a particular view.

9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Will be interesting to eventually see progress report and whether there is actually any credible reason other than politics for this palaver

JemPD, MEMarge, Helene and 5 others like this.
  10. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm confused. Which report are they waiting for?

Barry likes this.
  11. Caroline Struthers

A report from Hilda

Hutan, MEMarge, EzzieD and 17 others like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Honestly no idea. A report. About what? Nobody knows.

alktipping, Hutan, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  13. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Once again I am reminded of the Hitchhiker's Guide and why the white mice felt it was necessary to build the Earth in the first place.

14. NelliePledge

A progress report allegedly - see the Twitter exchange between Hilda B and Robert posted further up this thread

15. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect the summation will not be a nicely rounded 42 in this case.

16. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

a report about setting up a committee to debate how to write a report to answer an enquiry about a previous report on a review of an update of a review that was out of date but needed updating but was ok to leave in place while they reviewed how to set up a committee to review the evidence, stir twice and repeat.

17. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:laugh:

No but the way things are going I wonder if, like Hitchhiker's, they already have the answer and just have to find the right question.

Again.

Simbindi, Amw66, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  18. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If it would only prove to be inconvenient though.

19. NelliePledge

Maybe @Hilda Bastian will take the opportunity of this event about evidence and uncertainty to give headlines from the much awaited progress report on the plans for the independent advisory group to engage with stakeholders on exercise in ME/CFS.

20. Caroline Struthers

I just registered as a patient advocate. And I can now access the online platform

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Mithriel, geminiqry, Hutan and 20 others like this.